Bootmgr is missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bootmgr is missing

Oh, you mentioned ReadyBoost. When checking in properties of all 3 SSD, only the new one had ReadyBoost Tab and said ReadyBoost could not be used because the drive is to fast, the other SSD drives do not have that ReadyBoost tab.

Comment

The picture is about half way down my post. I decided to use Image Shack rather than attach it to the end of the post.

I just used ReadyBoost as an example of why I'd have a USB drive plugged in all the time. ReadyBoost itself would have nothing to do with this bootmgr error.

Give the diskpart clean function a go. If that does nothing, I recommend to totally eliminate even the remote possibility of a BIOS setting doing something, you clear the CMOS and then load Optimized Defaults. I know you say the BIOS is set up fine, but there could either be something you accidentally over looked, or even some sort of corruption of a BIOS setting which clearing and re-loading Optimized Defaults could fix up.

I would also test yet another bootable DVD/CD. I know you said you also tried a Vista CD, but try another one just to be thorough.

If that doesn't help then I'm fresh out of ideas. At least you'll be able to use the F12 menu, so you won't be stuck without a means to install Windows to the SSD.

Definitely give diskpart and resetting the BIOS a go, ofc restoring your AHCI settings and other things afterwards ofc.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
        The picture is about half way down my post. I decided to use Image Shack rather than attach it to the end of the post.

I just used ReadyBoost as an example of why I'd have a USB drive plugged in all the time. ReadyBoost itself would have nothing to do with this bootmgr error.

Give the diskpart clean function a go. If that does nothing, I recommend to totally eliminate even the remote possibility of a BIOS setting doing something, you clear the CMOS and then load Optimized Defaults. I know you say the BIOS is set up fine, but there could either be something you accidentally over looked, or even some sort of corruption of a BIOS setting which clearing and re-loading Optimized Defaults could fix up.

I would also test yet another bootable DVD/CD. I know you said you also tried a Vista CD, but try another one just to be thorough.

If that doesn't help then I'm fresh out of ideas. At least you'll be able to use the F12 menu, so you won't be stuck without a means to install Windows to the SSD.

Definitely give diskpart and resetting the BIOS a go, ofc restoring your AHCI settings and other things afterwards ofc.
        What is ofc? When doing diskpart, I would have both the loaded drive and new blank SSD?

I did update BIOS with loading optimized defaults, but no clearing of CMOS.

Here is the thing, I select CD-ROM as first in boot order, save and exit BIOS, and then it goes straight to desktop. If after saving CD-ROM as first order in BIOS and hitting F12, the Boot Menu has Hard Drive listed with an asterisk. So, it's like my changing the order in BIOS has no effect.

Comment

As for clearing CMOS, the manual says put a jumper on the two pins for 10 seconds or whatever and that's it. I once put a screwdriver to the two pins and it didn't do anything I could see. Isn't clearing the CMOS supposed to make you reset time and date?

Comment

ofc is just short hand for "of course "

You may well have found a BIOS bug if you have just updated to the latest when this started happening.

I would give the Diskpart thing a go first, then try a clear CMOS and re-load of optimized settings. If that fails try flashing back to your previous BIOS version, load optimized again and see if that solves it.
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

The time and date isn't alwaysreset. Every time I've cleared the CMOS, time and date has remained correct. I'm sure if you had the pins connected for long enough, the date and time would reset.
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I installed Windows 7 on the other SSD and will check that CD/DVD thing later--I am still setting things up. I had to use the F12 way for installing Windows 7 and there was that bootmgr is missing before installation, but I don't get it now.

Comment

After installing Windows 7 on the other SSD, I still have that problem booting from CD/DVD--I have to hit F12, at least this is with Windows 7 and Vista DVD's.

Comment

I got the bootmgr is missing error when I first installed Windows 7 on a RAID0 with my XP files backed up on a 3rd HDD installed on SATA2_5 and the bios set as IDE. I had to perform a repair by booting to the Windows 7 DVD. Windows 7 would not repair until I set the 3rd HDD to AHCI. I had to set the SATA2_4/5 to AHCI in bios. Then the repair function worked for some reason. I followed these instructions it works for Windows Vista and Windows 7.----> Startup Repair - Vista Forums
                    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                    Logitech G500 USB mouse
                    Monitor: CMV937A
                    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

As long as you tried clearing the CMOS and loading optimised defaults, plus a flash back to the previous BIOS version, I don't know what else it could be.

Maybe worth asking Gigabyte tech support. It may be one of the rare cases where they have a useful answer for someone.

Sorry I can't help you get rid of the message completely. At least you can boot from DVD with F12 if you need to though, so not a complete loss.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

No, I don't get the message anymore, only got it trying to install Windows 7 on one of my SSD. Now that I went to F12 and booted from Windows 7 disk and installed it, there are no problems at this point, except that booting from CD/DVD has to be F12. I was trying to find AppData files that are supposed to be hidden, found them on last Windows 7 install, but can't find them in this install.

Comment

Working...
                        X