X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random BSODs with GA-P55-UD4P. Finding it hard to diagnose

Originally posted by GroinsNZ View Post
    Hi Yodo,

I spotted your post and funnily enough I've got the same setup as you and also experiencing random BSODs. I've got the GA-P55-UD4P, i7 860 CPU and 4GB (2x2GB) of GSkill RipJaw DDR3-1333 RAM as well as a VelociRapter drive.

I've tested the RAM with Memtest for over an hour with no errors at all.

I've scanned the HDD and done some low level scans with no errors. Plus I've installed Windows 7 on the same disk in another older test machine (a LGA775 P4 & 2 GB DDR2-800) with no such problems so far (I'm using it now). I WAS thinking it was the HDD but can't fault it now really so I'm now thinking it's the Gigabyte motherboard as you have done.

Pretty much same symptoms i.e. got three or four BSODs last evening and uninstalled Norton's Internet Security and some other things thinking it might be software related. PC worked fine for the rest of the evening but then tonight I turned it on and it didn't even get to the desktop without getting a BSOD.

I did notice that when installing Windows 7 originally it seemed unusually slow, i.e. screen with Windows 7 graphics only, no installation progress bar or anything else, then 5, 10 mins later I'd be prompted to setup up language settings or something. It also had problems copying/expanding the image from the Win7 DVD reporting that there were file errors.

Would be very interested to hear how you've got on...

Cheers.
    is it a working copy of win7? you say it has errors in the files? do you know if its 100% working cd? also have you set your ram/qpi/and cpu volts the same as yoda? this may help you
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      is it a working copy of win7? you say it has errors in the files? do you know if its 100% working cd? also have you set your ram/qpi/and cpu volts the same as yoda? this may help you
      I suppose I should reply to this thread again. I haven't had enough time to use my machine at all much less try to fix it.

My machine was never really working, despite my earlier post. As I said in my earlier post, I let MemTest run over night and it didn't return a single error. I booted in to Windows 7 the next day and it was fine. Did all kinds of things, games, movies, music, etc. The day after that I tried to update my chipset drivers, but I guess there was nothing to update, unless I just missed something?

So I turned off my computer and installed the other 4gb of RAM i bought (same brand and speed, GSkill 1333). Once again, tons of errors show up in MemTest. Sooooooo, I checked and saw there was a new Bios released, so I flashed the Bios to the latest one, F4t or something like that. I set everything to optimized defaults (QPI back to normal 1.1, DRAM 1.5, DRAM 9-9-9-24) and to my surprise MemTest ran overnight with no errors with all 8gb in.

So I finally think that this whole thing has been fixed. I booted into Windows the next day, once again could do anything I wanted (games, music, etc). Shut down and ran MemTest the next day. Surprise surprise, I once again get hundreds of errors. I put the QPI back up to 1.2, the DRAM to 1.65, and test again: less errors, but still errors. I then got desperate and lowered the multiplier on my RAM so that it's running at 1033, I get even less errors, but still errors.

I have not tried to take out the additional 4gb I added but I'm thinking that it won't matter with this pattern of testing fine one day and then testing bad the next day. Like I said before, I really don't have a lot of time these days to mess around with my computer. I'm thinking the next time I can play (fight?) with it is Saturday.

Oh, by the way Groins, I had the same issue when I installed Win7 with it just sitting there for like 5-10 minutes before it showed me the language setup screen and I could move on. I didn't really think much of it at the time. For some reason I burned my Win7 iso onto a double layer DVD, I just figured it had something to do with that.

Comment

Hey Wazza300, yes it's a working copy. I've installed it twice on this test machine from one of the original DVD ROMs and so far everything is working fine (I got a three licences (disks) for Win7).

I tell you what, it's a real pain in the arse! When you buy new hardware you kind of expect things to work.

I was thinking about flashing the BIOS with the newer F4r (beta) one but from reading Yoda's response that doesn't seem to of helped. I might just return the board and get an ASUS or something? Anyway, got to go to work now.

Thanks for the replies, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by GroinsNZ View Post
          Hey Wazza300, yes it's a working copy. I've installed it twice on this test machine from one of the original DVD ROMs and so far everything is working fine (I got a three licences (disks) for Win7).

I tell you what, it's a real pain in the arse! When you buy new hardware you kind of expect things to work.

I was thinking about flashing the BIOS with the newer F4r (beta) one but from reading Yoda's response that doesn't seem to of helped. I might just return the board and get an ASUS or something? Anyway, got to go to work now.

Thanks for the replies, cheers.
          try disabling all floppy drives in the bios,that may help,boot order ect put none as floppy
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

try disabling all floppy drives in the bios,that may help,boot order ect put none as floppy
            Yeah, I don't use a floppy drive so I have that disabled already and is not part of the boot order. I left BIOS settings pretty much at default i.e. no overclocking, RAM timings etc I set to AUTO.

I'm wondering whether it's a problem with the SATA/Drive controller but I'm only guessing here.

Cheers.

Comment

If it has not been mentioned, The Intel SATA drivers caused this problem for me. I went to the MS ones and it stopped. FYI
              P55-UD4P - i7860 - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - 1600Mhz Mushkin 7-8-7-20 - 3 WD 640GB Black
              880GMA-UD2P - X6 1055T CPU - Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD - GSkill 1333 8-8-8-21 - 2 500GB WD Black
              2 or 3 other systems I like to play with and a laptop

Comment

Originally posted by nate42nd View Post
                If it has not been mentioned, The Intel SATA drivers caused this problem for me. I went to the MS ones and it stopped. FYI
                Okay cool, good to know - I'll be trying this one I think.

How did you go about loading the MS drivers? Were they downloaded via automatic updates or did you have to go and download them from MS.com or another site?

Oh, and I'm wondering how this can resolve the initial installation of the OS to start with as that seems to be a bit flakey to begin with. Can you remember how your install went?

Third edit: I could try loading the OS onto an IDE drive and if successful, load the SATA drivers as suggested, make an image which you could then move to your SATA drive... (just thinking)

Thanks, nate42nd.
                Last edited by GroinsNZ; 11-11-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Very interesting thread - I'm having nearly identical problems (haven't done memtest though, but have run SiSoft Sandra's torture test instead), as posted here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p55-...69/#post332564

Did you manage to fix it?

Comment

Hi TechLad76,

Yes, I think I resolved the issues I was having but don't have a concrete solution for you.

What I did do, however, was to download and flash the latest BIOS (F4) after which I then went into the BIOS and loaded the default settings. I then went through all the settings to check they matched recommended specs for RAM and CPU (no overclocking). I went to the extent of changing the settings from 'AUTO', to either a specific value where necessary, or otherwise chose the 'NORMAL' option for things like voltages.

I then installed Windows 7 and noted the copying of files right at the beginning was still much slower than on my test machine so this could be related to the SATA driver being used but I'm not sure. After Windows 7 loaded successfully I didn't load any drivers from the Gigabyte CD-ROM provided with the motherboard. Instead I went to Gigabyte's Website and downloaded all the latest drivers for the various chipset components (they've been updated fairly recently).

It's been a couple of weeks now and I've had no BSODs which I'm extremely relieved about! Although, I haven't yet re-registered Win7 just yet - I'll wait another week before doing that :-).

My setup:
                    Mobo: GA-P55-UD4P
                    CPU: Core i7 860
                    RAM: 4GB GSkill F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM, 2x2GB, DDR3-1333
                    GPU: Radeon 5850 (Powercolor)
                    HDD: VelociRapter 150GB + a couple of Seagate drive (SATA) and a couple of IDE drives. LG DVD/CD burner.
                    Input: Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9 Mouse.

Cheers.
                    Last edited by GroinsNZ; 11-23-2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Let me know if you need more help guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X