Random BSODs with GA-P55-UD4P. Finding it hard to diagnose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random BSODs with GA-P55-UD4P. Finding it hard to diagnose

I recently bought a new CPU (i7 860 Lynnfield), mobo Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P, and RAM (2 kits of GSkill 2x2gb DDR3-1333). I installed everything into my existing system. Formatted hard drive and installed Windows 7, etc etc.

I installed Windows 7 successfully but have since been plagued by seemingly random BSODs (sometimes the screen would just distort and the computer would restart instead of displaying a BSOD). These BSODs would sometimes occur before even logging into Windows, sometimes after 10 minutes. Sometimes I could play GTA4 for hours, and then browse the net, and shut down normally with no problems.

When this first started happening I instantly thought it was a memory problem. I boot up MemTest 86+ and get tons of errors (thousands after 10-15 minutes). So I test each stick individually and each one runs for 3+ hours each with no errors. I then ran some more tests with 2 DIMMs being used, some with all 4 being used and I sometimes I got errors, sometimes I didn't. Couldn't come up with a pattern.

So I then think it's a bad mobo. I admit that I got a little antsy here and instantly RMAed it for a new mobo. I wait 2 weeks and finally get to install everything again and alas, I have the same problems. I flashed the bios to F4r and it seemed to fix it, some default frequencies changed and MemTest86 ran for several hours with no errors. But alas, a day or two later windows BSODed again and MemTest86 turned up a ton of errors.

Someone suggested I test my hard drives with Drive Fitness Test, so I did with no errors.

So right now I'm trying to tweak the memory timings to see if I have some bad defaults or something. I increased the B2B setting from Auto to 12. MemTest is ran with that for several hours and only reported 24 errors.

I don't know much about memory timings in general, what else can I tweak to try and make this problem disappear?

Current settings in BIOS (all these are AUTO unless I say I set it manually:
    Memory:
    9-9-9-24
    tRC 33
    tRRD 4
    tWTR 5
    tWR 10
    tWTP 21
    tWL 7
    tRFC 74
    tRTP 5
    tFAW 20
    CMD 1
    B2B CAS Delay 12 (manual)
    Round Trip Latency 52

Voltages:
    CPU Vcore 1.175 (manual)
    DRAM 1.600 (manual)

Others:
    Base Clock Control 133Mhz
    Memory Frequency 1333Mhz
    CPU Clock Drive 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew 0ps

Temps:
    CPU 24C
    PCH 39C
    Last edited by Yoda9864; 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM.

Re: Random BSODs with GA-P55-UD4P. Finding it hard to diagnose

Updated OP with more details.

Comment

whats your rams spec timings and voltage? its most likely ram related
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

8-8-8-21
        1.5-1.6

Same results at those timings, btw.

Comment

what about if timings are on auto? also tell me your qpi voltage and why dont you leave
          b2b cas delay on auto too? also set performance enhance to standard
          Last edited by wazza300; 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM.
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Hi Yoda.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I am having problems with BSOD with Windows 7 and a new build based on a Gigabyte board.

Full spec:

i5 750
            Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (running F4i)
            Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2
            G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB
            500GB Samsung F3
            1GB XFX HD5850
            Samsung SH-S223B DVD-/+RW
            Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Widescreen LCD
            Corsair TX 650W

I can't get into Windows anymore so I will be trying a format and fresh install come Friday (too busy during the week).

I'll be following this thread to see if you get your problems sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by ZicoUK View Post
              Hi Yoda.

Don't want to hijack your thread but I am having problems with BSOD with Windows 7 and a new build based on a Gigabyte board.

Full spec:

i5 750
              Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (running F4i)
              Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2
              G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB
              500GB Samsung F3
              1GB XFX HD5850
              Samsung SH-S223B DVD-/+RW
              Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" Widescreen LCD
              Corsair TX 650W

I can't get into Windows anymore so I will be trying a format and fresh install come Friday (too busy during the week).

I'll be following this thread to see if you get your problems sorted.
              did you try clearing cmos? by rear switch or onbard jumper pins??
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda9864 View Post
                8-8-8-21
                1.5-1.6

Same results at those timings, btw.
                have you updated to latest bios? use q-flash to update it newer beta bios's have latest fixes
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Are you manually setting all those advanced memory timings? If so, that may be part of the problem, set them to auto if so and try again.

What QPI/Vtt voltage are you setting? This is important, if you are getting BSOD 0x00000124 then you need more QPI/Vtt

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    what about if timings are on auto? also tell me your qpi voltage and why dont you leave
                    b2b cas delay on auto too? also set performance enhance to standard
                    All those timings were auto with the exception of the voltages and the B2B. With everything set to auto, it'll do the same thing (BSOD, etc).

Bios is updated to F4r, (the latest for this board).

With B2B on auto MemTest comes up with thousands of errors. With it at 12, it comes up with 10s of errors.

QPI voltage is on Auto. It says normal is 1.100V. Where can I check if that's actually what it's running at?

Comment

All those timings were auto with the exception of the voltages and the B2B. With everything set to auto, it'll do the same thing (BSOD, etc).

Bios is updated to F4r, (the latest for this board).

With B2B on auto MemTest comes up with thousands of errors. With it at 12, it comes up with 10s of errors.

QPI voltage is on Auto. It says normal is 1.100V. Where can I check if that's actually what it's running at?
                      see i dont know the voltages on p55 boards as they need less than an x58 but qpi its best to set manual voltages as auto will usually overvolt it,try 1.20000 qpi and youll see all voltages in easytune under tuner/advance/voltage 1 and 2, go to gigabytes website and see if theres an updated chipset driver too
                      Last edited by wazza300; 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM.
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                        see i dont know the voltages on p55 boards as they need less than an x58 but qpi its best to set manual voltages as auto will usually overvolt it,try 1.20000 qpi and youll see all voltages in easytune under tuner/advance/voltage 1 and 2, go to gigabytes website and see if theres an updated chipset driver too
                        I set the QPI voltage to 1.2100V and MemTest has been going for 20 minutes with no errors. I'll let this go overnight and see how it goes, but it hasn't thrown thousands in errors in 5 minutes, so that makes me really happy.

If it's running stable with this change should I even bother updating chipset drivers?

Comment

yeah update the chipset drivers only if there newer ones,and if its stable try lowering qpi by one click a time till you find a stable voltage
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

QPI voltage in auto should be visible in easytune, it should show you what auto decides.

1.1 is not going to work as you have noticed, you may need 1.2-1.35 or more. More is not likely with 1333Mhz, but if timings are tight enough you may need it but not for standard stock spec timings 1.2-1.3 should be good.

Manually set your ram voltage to spec or above as well

Comment

Hi Yodo,

I spotted your post and funnily enough I've got the same setup as you and also experiencing random BSODs. I've got the GA-P55-UD4P, i7 860 CPU and 4GB (2x2GB) of GSkill RipJaw DDR3-1333 RAM as well as a VelociRapter drive.

I've tested the RAM with Memtest for over an hour with no errors at all.

I've scanned the HDD and done some low level scans with no errors. Plus I've installed Windows 7 on the same disk in another older test machine (a LGA775 P4 & 2 GB DDR2-800) with no such problems so far (I'm using it now). I WAS thinking it was the HDD but can't fault it now really so I'm now thinking it's the Gigabyte motherboard as you have done.

Pretty much same symptoms i.e. got three or four BSODs last evening and uninstalled Norton's Internet Security and some other things thinking it might be software related. PC worked fine for the rest of the evening but then tonight I turned it on and it didn't even get to the desktop without getting a BSOD.

I did notice that when installing Windows 7 originally it seemed unusually slow, i.e. screen with Windows 7 graphics only, no installation progress bar or anything else, then 5, 10 mins later I'd be prompted to setup up language settings or something. It also had problems copying/expanding the image from the Win7 DVD reporting that there were file errors.

Would be very interested to hear how you've got on...

Cheers.

I recently bought a new CPU (i7 860 Lynnfield), mobo Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P, and RAM (2 kits of GSkill 2x2gb DDR3-1333). I installed everything into my existing system. Formatted hard drive and installed Windows 7, etc etc.

I installed Windows 7 successfully but have since been plagued by seemingly random BSODs (sometimes the screen would just distort and the computer would restart instead of displaying a BSOD). These BSODs would sometimes occur before even logging into Windows, sometimes after 10 minutes. Sometimes I could play GTA4 for hours, and then browse the net, and shut down normally with no problems.

When this first started happening I instantly thought it was a memory problem. I boot up MemTest 86+ and get tons of errors (thousands after 10-15 minutes). So I test each stick individually and each one runs for 3+ hours each with no errors. I then ran some more tests with 2 DIMMs being used, some with all 4 being used and I sometimes I got errors, sometimes I didn't. Couldn't come up with a pattern.

So I then think it's a bad mobo. I admit that I got a little antsy here and instantly RMAed it for a new mobo. I wait 2 weeks and finally get to install everything again and alas, I have the same problems. I flashed the bios to F4r and it seemed to fix it, some default frequencies changed and MemTest86 ran for several hours with no errors. But alas, a day or two later windows BSODed again and MemTest86 turned up a ton of errors.

Someone suggested I test my hard drives with Drive Fitness Test, so I did with no errors.

So right now I'm trying to tweak the memory timings to see if I have some bad defaults or something. I increased the B2B setting from Auto to 12. MemTest is ran with that for several hours and only reported 24 errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X