Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P locks with Q9400 CPU

Hello -
    I have been using this board (GA-EP45-UD3P) successfully for a while with an OLD P4 3.2 GHz chip. I wanted to upgrade to a Core2 Quad Q9400, but I'm having trouble with the system with the new CPU.

My BIOS is latest (FB), my board rev is latest (1.6), and the CPU is on the supported list. What happens is that the system will POST and give 1 beep, I have video output and I see that the system identifies the CPU correctly, however, at that point, it locks, it doesn't boot and I cannot toggle the caps or num lock lights on the keyboard. I also cannot get into the BIOS.

If I put back the old P4 3.2 chip, the system boots fine.

I can return the CPU and try another, but is there anything else I should try first?
    Last edited by bmcent1; 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM. Reason: more informative title

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P locks with Q9400 CPU

Have you made any changes in BIOS with the P4 installed?
    Try loading optimized defaults with the P4 in, save and reboot, then replace the CPU.
    Since you already there, may be good idea to clear the CMOS before loading optimized defalts.

Comment

Yes according to the gigabyte website your board should support that CPU sweet with the FB BIOS. As Chike has mentioned the first thing to do is to clear your BIOS and then reboot. Then load Optimized defaults, save and reboot. Then go back into the BIOS and set up all the things you need to, I.E RAID or AHCI if you have them and Ram spacific settings like volts and timmings. Try that, and let us know how you go.. Welcome to TweakTown.
      Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
      Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
      Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
      Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
      Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
      G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
      2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
      Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
      2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
      Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
      Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
      ------------------------------------------------
      Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
      Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
      ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
      Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
      Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
      Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
      NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
      1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
      Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
      Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

check your manual. they explain the beep error codes.

most likely its a ram issue. you may have to buy new ram. I doubt that ram needed to run a p4 woudl be compatible with ram needed to run a core 2 duo quad but i may be wrong.

Comment

Please use a PS/2 keyboard, then flash to the latest BIOS FDa >>
          Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Then load optimized defaults and try again. I doubt you need to return the CPU

Comment

Thanks all for the tips.

I tried loading BIOS defaults, and also clearing the CMOS (both by jumper, then later by unplugging and removing the battery for 15 minutes.)

It's the same exact problem every time. I even tried a different power supply.

I'll RMA this CPU and hopefully the next will work well.

(Just FYI, the single beep at post is a "okay" signal, not a sign of an error, that's by I was pretty confused by the system POSTing with video, but then locking up immediately after that (ie, I couldn't even get in to the BIOS any time with the Q9400 installed. I could squeak in a Del key, and "Entering Setup" would come on screen but it would lock before showing the BIOS options.)

Comment

Did you flash to the latest BIOS I suggested? If not, please do and in Qflash change "Keep DMI Data" to disabled

Single beep at post is normal procedure, that means it posted properly with no errors.

PLEASE Use the latest BIOS I linked above, I highly doubt your CPU is faulty. It can happen, but I would not suspect that until much more testing has been done. No way for you to test that CPU in another board to assure yourself that it is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Did you flash to the latest BIOS I suggested? If not, please do and in Qflash change "Keep DMI Data" to disabled
                The board is new and had the FB version of the BIOS on it already, which I think is the latest (I checked Gigabyte's support and there was nothing newer than FB.)

I've sent the CPU back already. I don't have another mother board I can test in. If it isn't the CPU, then I might suspect power supply but I tried an older power supply with the same result. (Of course, the older PSU didn't have an extra 2x2 or 2x4 plug, so maybe it couldn't properly power the CPU either.)

I never have been in Qflash, is that something in the BIOS? Even if I am running the latest BIOS, is "Keep DMI Data" disabled a recommended setting?

Comment

the latest BIOS availible for your board is version FDa, available here: http://forum.gigabyte.de/forumdownlo...8/P45UD3P2.zip

Please ignore the fact that it's a beta BIOS, it is perfectly stable and actually recommended to be used if critical issues, like yours should happen.

It's possible that the CPU was DOA, as the DOA E7xxx I received off eBay behaved in a similar way. It would boot and allow me to go into the BIOS, where it was detected just fine. However if left to boot to windows, it would freeze at the point where the first POST screen disappears.

"Keep DMI Data" is a setting only regarding QFlash, and only accessed when flashing/reflashing the BIOS. This option clears the DMI Pool data and alows it to be freshly re-created on the next successful power on.

If you do find yourself having the same issue with the replacement CPU, then FDa is definitely recommended to update to. Don't use @BIOS, always use QFlash. If you place the BIOS file on a USB pen drive or even a floppy disk and launch QFlash on bootup (with the P4 installed if the Quad still has issues, disable "Keep DMI Data" and flash, you should be good to go.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Thank you very much for the link and the explanation!

I will try to post the results back here when I get the new CPU.

Comment

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by bmcent1 View Post
                        The board is new and had the FB version of the BIOS on it already, which I think is the latest (I checked Gigabyte's support and there was nothing newer than FB.)

I've sent the CPU back already. I don't have another mother board I can test in.
                        Just wanted to post a follow-up -

I RMA'd my Q9400 that would lock up immediately after successful POST.

Received the replacement Q9400 yesterday. The new processor works great, no BIOS update needed, or anything tricky. So 90% sure it was just a bad CPU... doubt that happens often.

I also switched to DDR2-800 (from DDR2-667) at the same time, so there's a little chance that helped something out. But the old memory was thoroughly tested in Memtest.

New system made it through 3 passes of Memtest with no increase on DRAM voltage. Also made it over night with 4 Prime95 torture test threads burning i the CPU.

Very happy with the system!

Thanks again for the links and advice in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X