• p55 ud6, vista64 doesn't see raid5 volume as initialized

New build
    gigabyte p55 ud6
    ocz vertex 120gb ssd as main drive for apps 'n os
    6 1.5tb samsung drives in a raid5 setup
    i860
    8gb pc16000 ram
    radeon 5870

Setup the 6 samsungs into the ICH10R intel sata, set up the raid in the bios. Got into vista64, initialized the volume. Took about 16 hours to initialize. Rebooted a few times; and windows explorer still doesn't see the new volume (should be about 7tb in size). The gigabyte utility reports the volume as initialized. Windows can see it in Disk Management but reports the volume as uninitialized and unallocated.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Suggestions?
    Other problem is that EasyTune doesn't load and won't run. No idea why.

Help?

Coby in Colorado

Re: p55 ud6, vista64 doesn't see raid5 volume as initialized

Assigned drive letter?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Assigned drive letter?
      Tried to; went through that process but windows returns an error saying that the disk isn't initialized. I'm stumped.

Comment

Try using Acronis Disk Director suite see if that is capable to do it and should be able to do it less then 16hrs.

And assuming you have installed the raid drivers?
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
          Try using Acronis Disk Director suite see if that is capable to do it and should be able to do it less then 16hrs.

I believe I have. Went into the bios, enabled the raid setup, included all six drives in the raid, then installed vista64, then used the matrix storage controller to create the volume, at which point it initialized the drives, and imsc still reports the drives as initialized; it's just that vista doesn't seem to agree. I've not done this before and it did say something about creating a floppy disk, but I didn't do that...no floppy drive on this box.

The other issue is that the gigabyte gui tries to load when vista boots but returns a device driver not found error. Are they related?

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post

Acronis Disk Director is $50....any way of knowing that it'll do what I need before spending $50 on it?

Comment

Originally posted by cobyhughey View Post
              Acronis Disk Director is $50....any way of knowing that it'll do what I need before spending $50 on it?
              Tried the trial version of Acronis; it made a small partition which Vista could see. However, it would only deal with 2tb of the raid volume...if Acronis will make a partition of the full 7tb, I'll buy it. Is there a way around this 2tb limitation? Anyone?

Comment

my friend uses 1TB hdd * 6pcs for Raid5 but he has no problem to initialize the volume. according his experience, before initializing the Raid5 volume, you cannot see the disk (raid5) funder disk management. After initilizing, you can see the volume disk under disk management but unallocated. you need to partition it as GPT not MBR because it's larger than 2TB. BTW, you need to use intel Matrix manger to check it not Gigabyte utility.

Comment

Working...
                X