Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with burn in process???

Hi all,

Just a quick question in regards to my new system. Do I need to run any sort off burn in/run in process on my new system before it can be used? I don't intend on doing any overclocking at this stage so basically can my system just be given the spark of life (power) and I am good to go?

I have the following components in my system:
    Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L mobo found at: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...e=GA- EP43-S3L
    1 x Gigabyte NVidia GTX275 896i GPU
    4GB ddr2 800 ram
    800W PSU
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9650 CPU
    1 x Western Digital 300 GB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM HDD for Windows 7 and apps.
    1 x Western Digital 1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM HDD (for data storage)

Thank in advance for any comments here :)

Re: Help with burn in process???

"Burn in" programs are simply used to test system stability. A lot of system builders use programs that stress the computer before they send it out just to be sure that everything is functioning properly (not overheating any components, etc) so as to avoid cranky customers. I often run 3DMark or something similar when I upgrade or build a new system for comparison purposes (before/after) and to see if any issues pop up. If your system is stable and has no issues then you should be good to go.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Re: Help with burn in process???

Like said Usally its something you do while overclocking. But its always be to safe then sorry later. To check your memory run a program call Memtest86+ use a bootable cd or usb flash drive at least let it make about 7 pass but if you can let it run longer the better. That will find any error in your ram.

Then to check the whole system run Prime95 Blend test for 12-24 hrs that will test the cpu and ram/motherboard. Even if your are not O.C its adivsed that you manually set voltages in bios instead of Auto. If you have then on Auto the voltages you see on the left side is "default voltage" Cpu Termination might say 1.1 but it should be 1.2. You can try setting it to 1.1 and see if it is stable. Also make sure you have set your ram timings and voltage for ram manually as auto could have some problems detecting everything. At least the the 4 main times ie. 5-5-5-15.

If you dont have time to run Prime as long as it is need you can use IBT (Intel Burn Test) or LinX. Those you can run up to 5-10 pass the more the better. These 2 programs come with a warning. THEY WILL RUN YOUR CORE TEMPS UPTO 10c OR MORE THEN PRIME WILL!!!! So if you never ran anything or if your not sure on how well your cooling is run prime first for at least 10 min to get things heated up to get a idea.

The next thing and the most important thing is to monitor your temps. Suggest Real Temp. This program will monitor the temps of each core on your cpu. To be on the safe side of these dont let the temps go past 80c or distance to Tjmax of 20. 100c or distance to Tjmax of 0 = thermal shut down and the cpu will start to slow down to try and cool off.

If any of these test fail that means your system is not stable. You may need to add more volts to one thing or more or some other adjustment. If you have any problems the first link in my sig you can find a copy of a bios temp of you board. Fill it out with what exactly you have set in bios that has failed and someone will be able to make suggestions.

All these programs are safe to use as long as you under stand the risk of things and you know what to do and not to do you will be fine. If you have any doubts post your questions hear and someone will be able to answer them.

All the tools that I mentioned above can all be found in the last link in my sig and is also found stickied to the top of this Gigabyte forum.

Well I think thats long enough ready good luck and have fun. my fingers are getting tired.
      Main Rig
      Gigabyte z87x-OC
      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
      HiS ATI HD 6950
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Working...