EX58-UD5 Has Very Slow Download Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 Has Very Slow Download Speed

I'm in the process of replacing my 4-year-old 3800 X2 rig with a DFI LANParty mobo running WinXP with a Core i7 920-based rig (currently running Win7 Ent RTM) with a GA-EX58-UD5 as its base. I'm still in the preliminary stages of getting it together and benchmarking is a ways down the road, but right out of the gate I'm distressed by the abysmal download speeds I'm observing.

I'm using the same router and cable as the old system uses and the throughput is so bad, it's been immediately noticeable as I've been downloading various games and applications. Speed Test had given me DL speeds of over 15Mb/sec for my Comcast cable and downloads in Firefox generally ran in the 500-600 KB/sec range, but now I'm hard pressed to crack 200 KB/sec. Downloads are taking sooooooooooo looooooooooong.

If I DL the RealTek driver suggested by Windows Update, it breaks the networking until I roll back the driver in Device Manager and AFAIK, I'm up-to-date on the NIC driver. What could be happening here? TIA for the help!

Specs:
    * Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (BIOS: F7)
    * 12GB Patriot Viper 1600 RAM
    * Core i7 920 (D0 stepping)
    * Corsair Hydro H50
    * 2 PNY 8800GT 512MB in SLI
    * 750W PC Power & Cooling Silencer
    * Cooler Master HAF 922
    * 1.5TB Seagate HD
    Rig:
    * Gigabyte GA-UX58-UD5 (F9e
    )
    * Core i7 920 (D0) @ 3.78 GHz (21x180)
    * Corsair Hydro H50 water cooler
    * 12GB (6 x 2GB) Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 (10-10-10-30)
    * 2 PNY 8800GT 512MB SLI (191.07 WHQL)
    * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    * 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 2x; 500 GB Maxtor; 320 GB WD
    * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
    * Cooler Master HAF 922
    * Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    * 24" Dell 2405WFP
    * Logitech Z-580 5.1 Surround
    * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Re: EX58-UD5 Has Very Slow Download Speed

Try updating your driver provided on Realtek's website. I never download any drivers through Windows Update, too many incompatibilities IMO.

Comment

I'm trying to DL from this page and it pops a box that it's trying to start the FTP session and then gives a "530 Login incorrect" error. This happens from all three mirrors on both the Auto-Installer and Driver links for Win7.

Edit: When I DL in Firefox 3.5.2, I get the error; in IE8, it just leads me back to the front of the Downloads section regardless of mirror.

Edit 2: Now it's working for some reason, but it took at least a minute to DL 5.3MB. Stay tuned for updates....
      Last edited by DirkBelig; 09-24-2009, 02:11 AM.
      Rig:
      )
      * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
      * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
      * Cooler Master HAF 922
      * 24" Dell 2405WFP
      * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Comment

Here's what I'm getting. Still slow. Weird.

Rig:
        )
        * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
        * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
        * Cooler Master HAF 922
        * 24" Dell 2405WFP
        * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Comment

It could just be Comcast. I have them as well and at random times I will lag or my connection will time out. Fortunately I am not doing anything "important" during those times but it bugs the hell out of me.

This is probably my 'best' I've scored on SpeedTest.

You could also try doing a hard reset on your router and also try unplugging your modem for a while (like overnight). Comcast does random checks every so often, often disconnecting me entirely from the internet.

Comment

Rebooted router and got this:

DL speeds look and feel better, too. Thanks for the tip. A virtual beverage of your choice is yours, on me.
            Rig:
            )
            * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
            * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
            * Cooler Master HAF 922
            * 24" Dell 2405WFP
            * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Comment

IMO cable is very inconsistent. You need to understand the infrastructure of cable, and how it is implemented, from the source, to the premise(your house). The main reason for the very inconsistent speeds, is that you do not have a dedicated line to your ISP. Simply put, you "share" bandwidth with your "neighbors". You are splitting potential bandwidth(capped of course according to whatever plan you pay for) with people around you, because with cable, the ISP will allot a set bandwidth for each terminal. No idea how many people can be on a single terminal, but regardless, the more people on your terminal that are online at the same time as you, will directly affect your speeds/latency. This is why at off-peak hours, such as 2 or 3am, you will get to utilize more bandwith(theoretically speaking). This is why I use DSL instead(until verizon gets their arses over here and runs me a fiber 200 yards, so i can get FIOS), as DSL provides a dedicated connection between me and the ISP, so speeds/latency are very, very consistent 24/7. Yes cable is faster, but i prefer consistency.
              As for FIOS............ yummy 50/20 ......i want i want; hell I'll even "settle" for 25/15

Oh yeah, you NEED to power cycle your modem AND router AT LEAST every few days if not sooner!! Simply put, UNPLUG BOTH modem and router from power, and wait at least 2 or 3 minutes, then plug back in. And it really doesn't hurt to include a reboot of your connected computer. That's it!! Make this a habit!!!!!!!!!!
              As for realtek onboard NIC's, ewwww, don't care for them at all.
              GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
              i7 920 @ stock clocks ATM
              Coolermaster V8 w/stock fan @69.69cfm @21dBA
              3 x 2gb corsair DDR3@1600mhz pc12800 9-9-9-24 @1.65v
              ram model #TR3X6G1600C9
              BFG Nvidia GTX280 OC
              Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 PCI-EX
              Bigfoot K1 Killer NIC PCI
              Kingwin MACH1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000w PSU
              Antec 1200 case
              3 x 120mm front mounted intake fans
              2 x 120mm rear exhaust fans
              1 x 200mm top mounted exhaust fan
              1 x 120mm side panel mounted intake fan (for GFX card)
              1 x 120mm internally mounted also for GFX card
              *needless to say, all fans @max, this baby resembles Katrina!!

"Sony could make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them." ~ Bill Gates

Comment

I know the arguments against cable (i.e. shared w/neighbors, Comcast sucks, etc.) and frankly, in the 10 years I've had it, I've rarely seen any signs of slowdowns due to usage. Either I live in an techophobic area (not likely; it's a middle-class suburban Detroit city) or the problems are oversold by DSL fans. My bassist is paying 125% more than I am for a dedicated DSL line for consistency, but it is so slow (~175 kbs) that he can't watch YouTube videos. But, he's got the static IP! Pfft. I'm using DynDNS in case I need to SSH back to my box for some reason.
                Rig:
                )
                * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
                * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
                * Cooler Master HAF 922
                * 24" Dell 2405WFP
                * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Comment

With the realtek site you must use Internet Explorer to download files or you get FTP/HTTP errors. If you are using Firefox, this is the cause of not being able to get the driver. You can also make a note of the driver version and try DLing it from somewhere else. I always get the Realtek audio drivers from Guru3D as Realtek DL speeds are pathetic.

I am running the latest Realtek NIC driver and can confirm the previous issues have been fixed.

Glad to see you have max speed DL's again. Maybe keep your current NIC driver as everything seems fine with it. I have had the same kind of thing happen with my Virgin Media cable connection. Rebooting the modem (logging on to 192.168.100.1) and the router (192.168.2.1) fixes it right up.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by DirkBelig View Post
                    I know the arguments against cable (i.e. shared w/neighbors, Comcast sucks, etc.) and frankly, in the 10 years I've had it, I've rarely seen any signs of slowdowns due to usage. Either I live in an techophobic area (not likely; it's a middle-class suburban Detroit city) or the problems are oversold by DSL fans. My bassist is paying 125% more than I am for a dedicated DSL line for consistency, but it is so slow (~175 kbs) that he can't watch YouTube videos. But, he's got the static IP! Pfft. I'm using DynDNS in case I need to SSH back to my box for some reason.
                    yikes!! that is truly a slow connection....... if I were getting 175kbps I would definitely be in the market for another ISP. As for me being a DSL fanboy, not so much. Actually, cable has improved quite a bit recently; this is from , which is a very informative site for not only DSL, but all broadband.

<!-- google_ad_section_start --> <big>Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Hits Denver</big>
                    New 22 Mbps, 50 Mbps tiers arrive in Colorado
                    <small>02:33PM Tuesday Sep 22 2009 by Karl Bode</small>

Local residents tells us that Comcast has launched DOCSIS 3.0 technology in roughly half of the Denver metro market. As with other launches, upgraded markets see Comcast's "Performance" tier bumped to 12 Mbps/2 Mbps, and their "Performance Pro" tier bumped to 16 Mbps /2 Mbps at no extra cost. Upgraded markets also of course see Comcast's new $62.95 22Mbps/5Mbps and $99 "Extreme 50" 50Mbps/10Mbps tiers. Comcast says they'll have 80% of their entire footprint upgraded with the faster speeds by the end of this year, and their entire customer base upgraded by the end of 2010 - roughly 40 million homes and businesses passed. The cable giant recently announced that they're raising the cable modem rental fee from $3 to $5 in order to help pay for upgrades.

IMO, Verizon FIOS is by far the best choice available. I am subcontracted by verizon, and work with their infrastructure daily, and their FIOS infrastructure is definitely 100% fiber optic the entire way. But FIOS' availability might be the deciding factor for lots of folks. Hell, I live approximately 200 yards at most from a large FIOS terminal (a 3' x 5' terminal), in which two rather large trunk lines pass through(if memory serves me correctly, I think these two mains are 216 strand, which if you know anything about this stuff, are very large feeder lines); Also, approximately 1/4 mile from my house, one of the aforementioned feeders terminates into a fiber crossbox(one of the bigger size x-boxes), and supplies several subdivisions around it. All this VZN fiber infrastructure, practically in my backyard, yet unavailable to me!! The terminal that i mentioned that is barely 200 yds from my house, happens to be on the south side of the street that my street tees off of. I live on the north side, of said street. This street just so happens to be the Verizon--AT&T boundary. ATT begins on north side of street and continues north, and VZN same thing but south. And this is actually one of the very first markets to implement FIOS in several years back.
                    So yeah, I have been living with this every day for a long time lol(and living with ATT DSL all these years as well). Surprisingly, I have been very satisfied with my DSL all these years. I can count on one hand the times when the network crapped out. I have never, ever been dropped, speed has never ever dropped below my cap, and latency has been stellar. Of course, me being on the att vzn border, I guess i lucked out because I live 1/8 of a mile from the switch or hub or vrad or whatever att calls them things lol. Been on the 6000/768 tier for 5 maybe 6 yrs @ $35 a month. One of the DSL techs had to come out once, in all the time I have had this because my modem was taking a dump, and he hooked up his little handheld to the test jack on my interface terminal outside, and his jaw almost hit the ground lol. I was like, ohhhh noooo, that can't be a good sign!! He was like, actually, I don't think I have ever seen numbers this high!! I was like, high is good right?? *crosses fingers*, he was like yep, these are REAL good. Despite the superb conditions present in my line, ATT refuses to increase my cap............ I have begged, pleaded, etc...... to no avail. I mean damn, they could atleast bump me up to 12mb or so, and give my uplink a shot of steroids!! They insist I have the fastest package they offer, end of story. If I had to complain about anything, would definitely, without a doubt be the crappy upload rationed out to me like it was the last morsel of uplink bandwidth on the face of the planet.
                    Anyways, what all this boils down to is: Get what type of broadband will fulfill the requirements you have as an end-user. Cable is more than enough for the majority of consumers, who basically surf, e-mail, youtube, twitter, myspace, etc.... These consumers will, for the most part, not be affected by, or even notice variances in bandwidth/latency cable might see throughout the day(especially with DOCSIS 3 being implemented).
                    Then there is the minority of bandwidth consumers, like myself, the "geeks", "techies", "gamers", and even the so-called "pirates", who devour multiple terrabytes of bandwidth per month, who notice mere milliseconds of latency variances, or miniscule bandwidth variances of two or three bits. These are the guys who will most likely opt for DSL over cable, if FIOS isn't available in their market yet(but I can almost guarantee they will religously keep up with VZN to know when FIOS will be coming to their hood).
                    And I think I am going to bounce on that note. (AMG, I have GOT to get my computer back on track before I go completely insane!!!!!!............and before I write a damn novel, omg!!)
                    GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
                    i7 920 @ stock clocks ATM
                    Coolermaster V8 w/stock fan @69.69cfm @21dBA
                    3 x 2gb corsair DDR3@1600mhz pc12800 9-9-9-24 @1.65v
                    ram model #TR3X6G1600C9
                    BFG Nvidia GTX280 OC
                    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 PCI-EX
                    Bigfoot K1 Killer NIC PCI
                    Kingwin MACH1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000w PSU
                    Antec 1200 case
                    3 x 120mm front mounted intake fans
                    2 x 120mm rear exhaust fans
                    1 x 200mm top mounted exhaust fan
                    1 x 120mm side panel mounted intake fan (for GFX card)
                    1 x 120mm internally mounted also for GFX card
                    *needless to say, all fans @max, this baby resembles Katrina!!

"Sony could make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them." ~ Bill Gates

Comment

I have no idea why he hangs on to that barely-better-than-ISDN service, but then again he runs his own mail server with Draconian white lists so strict he wasn't getting mail from his band mates and was griping about having to allow Gmail in. Whatever. It's his money and time to waste.

I caught a break from Comcast because they didn't realize they'd been charging me the rate that TV subscribers pay (~$45) instead of the ISP-only rate (~$62) for, oh....SEVEN YEARS! When they finally got wise and jacked my rate, I called and asked what was up and the snotty lady on the phone told me that they wouldn't reduce it to the rate I'd been paying. I shopped around but WOW wasn't a good value, FIOS isn't available in my area, and AT&T could only offer 1.5 mbps to the surprise of even the CSR.

I calculated what I'd saved over the years and it added up to over $1300, which is like a free PC, so I guess it's OK. The thing is Comcast has been quietly cranking up my speeds w/o notification or raising my rates. First it went to 3 Mbps then 6 then this 18+ stuff. I just happened to notice that single-source downloads (i.e. Steam, D2D, game patches) were BLAZING down the pipe and the Speed Test confirmed it.
                      Rig:
                      )
                      * X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
                      * 2 Samsung S223B DVD-RW
                      * Cooler Master HAF 922
                      * 24" Dell 2405WFP
                      * Logitech MX-518 mouse

Comment

Working...