X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with setting up cooling fans for my motherboard

Hi, I have purchased 2 x Antec Nine Hundred Two enclosures and am
    having difficulty setting up the fans for my mobo that are included with
    this purchase. Specs can be found at: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzIy

I also purchased an additional Antec 120mm Blue LED
    Fan for each case that I have placed into the clear side
    panel. This comes with a Molex power connector and optional 3-pin connector as well, found at: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODI5http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...e=GA- EP43-S3L and would like to make ALL of the cooling fans inside
    my 2 x 902 cases work in conjunction with the mobo's fan speed
    monitoring. I have SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN2, PWR_FAN connectors on
    the mobo - SYS_FAN2 is 4 pin and is Speed Control with Sense.
    SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN only have Sense and NO speed control (3-
    pin). I found one document at: Antec.com - TriCool Fan installation but it is
    not entirely clear as to what to do in my case.

Other components to my system are:
    1 x Gigabyte NVidia GTX275 896i GPU
    4GB ddr2 800 ram
    800W PSU
    Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9650 CPU

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks :)

Re: Problems with setting up cooling fans for my motherboard

would like to make ALL of the cooling fans inside my 2 x 902 cases work in conjunction with the mobo's fan speed monitoring.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Do you want all the fans' speeds displayed?
    Do you want all of fans' speeds to change according to the cpu's PWM auto controlled speeds?
    Do each of your cases use 5 fans?

It will help if you provide a direct link to the specs for each fan.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi profJim, thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions
      I'm not sure what you mean.
      Do you want all the fans' speeds displayed?
      Do you want all of fans' speeds to change according to the cpu's PWM auto controlled speeds?
      Do each of your cases use 5 fans?
      Firstly, I would like all the fan speeds to be displayed using software (something like SpeedFan) once I get these 2 systems up and running.
      Secondly, I would like all of the fans to change according to the CPU's PWM auto controlled speeds if this is the best way to go as we get up to 40 degree heat here sometimes in summer (coming up) and it will be a royal pain changing fan speeds manually on each fan over and over depending on temp etc.
      Thirdly, yes both cases use the 5 fans.

I have looked up the specs for each fan and have included them here as follows:

1 rear 120 x 25mm TriCool™ blue LED exhaust fan - Molex Power Connector

Specifications:
      Size - 120 x 120 x 25.4 mm 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm
      Voltage - 12V DC
      Speed - RPM 1200 1600 2000 1500 2000 2600
      Airflow - CFM 39 56 79 20 26 34
      Noise - dBA 25 28 30 18 24 30

Connectors/Switches:
      4-pin molex power supply.
      3-speed switch.
      ----------------------------------------------

1 top 200 x 30mm "Big Boy" TriCool™ blue LED exhaust fan - Molex Power Connector
      The default fan speed setting is Low.

Specifications:
      Size: 200mm x 30mm three-speed fan
      Rated Voltage: 12V DC
      Operating Voltage: 10.2V ~ 13.8V

Speed(RPM) Input Current Acoustical Noise Input Power
      High 800 0.30A 30 dBA 3.6 W
      Medium 600 0.17A 27 dBA 2.0 W
      Low 400 0.08A 24 dBA 1.0 W

Connectors/Switches:
      3-speed switch.
      Switch to turn on/off the blue LED.
      --------------------------------------------------------

2 front 120 x 25mm special black blue LED intake fans with front speed control
      Each fan comes with a speed control knob at the front of the faceplate.
      Turn the knob clockwise to increase the speed. The lowest speed is 1200 RPM while the
      highest speed is 2000 RPM. See the chart below to view the appropriate specifications.

Specifications:
      Size: 120mm x 25mm TriCool™ fan
      Rated Voltage: 12V
      Operating Voltage: 10.2V - 13.8V

Speed(RPM) Input Current Noise Input Power
      High 2000 0.24A (max.) 30 dBA 2.9 W
      Medium 1600 0.2A 28 dBA 2.4 W
      Low 1200 0.13A 25 dBA 1.6 W

Connectors/Switches:
      Variable-speed control knob on the fan itself.

Note: The minimum voltage to start a 120mm TriCool™ fan is 5V. We recommend that you
      set the fan speed switch to High if you choose to connect the fan(s) to a fan control device
      or to the Fan-Only connector found on some Antec power supplies. A fan control device
      regulates the fan speed by varying the voltage, which may start as low as 4.5V to 5V.
      Connecting a TriCool™ fan set on Medium or Low to a fan-control device may result in the
      fan not being able to start because the already lowered voltage from the fan control device
      will be further reduced by the TriCool™ circuitry below 5V.
      --------------------------------------------------------

1 side panel Antec 120mm Blue LED Fan - Molex and a 3-pin Power Connector
      3-pin connector and 4-pin molex adapter power connectors with power pass through provided.
      3-speed switch lets you balance quiet performance with maximum cooling
      Fan-speed monitoring capability included (requires compatible motherboard)

Specifications:
      Size - 120 x 120 x 25.4 mm 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm
      Voltage - 12V DC
      Speed - RPM 1200 1600 2000 1500 2000 2600
      Airflow - CFM 39 56 79 20 26 34
      Noise - dBA 25 28 30 18 24 30

Connectors/Switches:
      4-pin molex power supply
      3-pin motherboard power supply
      Fan speed
      -------------------------------------------------------

Here are some LED Fan Installation Notes that Antec provides but I am having difficulty working all this out:

Installation Notes:

1.Connect to a non-variable power connector only. For best performance, Antec recommends that LED fans only be connected to a standard (steady-voltage) 12V DC power connector. If your motherboard or power supply supports fan speed control, DO NOT connect the LED fan to that variable-voltage header or output.
      2.The LED fan comes equipped with a 3-pin power connector. It also includes a 4-pin power connector adapter (installed) with power pass-through feature. To connect to a motherboard header, remove the adapter and use the 3-pin connector. To connect to your power supply, leave the adapter attached and plug the 4-pin connector into an available connector. You may plug another device into the other side of the adapter connector and power it, so you don't lose a power plug with the LED fan.
      3.The LED fan supports fan speed monitoring through the 3-pin connector. If you choose to connect the LED fan to your power supply but your motherboard supports fan speed monitoring, you may connect the signal wire adapter (3-pin connector with only one wire) to your motherboard header. The fan speed signal wire does not need to be connected for the LED fan to function properly.

This is all the information I could gather for these fans that come with the case. I hope that this is what you requested

Thanks in advance for your help :)
      Last edited by webtechnz; 09-23-2009, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I've used fan Y-connectors to run 2 fans from the same mobo fan header.
        I don't know if 3 fans using 2 Y-connectors can be safely run from a single fan header.

Some fans do not under-volt well.
        The Sys_Fan2 (PWM) header seems to run at 5 volts.
        Some of your LED fans suggest only running these fans at 12 volts.

I don't use PWM control settings as I have a fan controller to adjust my fan speeds.
        My case uses 7 fans plus 2 cpu heatsink fans, using Y-connectors, with 4 manual controls.
        My cooling needs are modest and I use the fan controller to keep my fan noise as low as possible.

I think your best setup will be to use a front panel fan controller for all but your your cpu heatsink fan(s).
        Check out my Zalman ZM-MFC2 controller, watt meter & temp probes or something similar.
        I used quite a few Y-connectors so that I could double up some of fans and also run a single yellow sense wire to my mobo fan headers for on screen monitoring.

Another forum member might have some additional suggestions that might meet your needs.

Let us know how you make out with your setup.
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Hi profJim, once again thank you for your insight on this matter it has been very helpful.

Ok, I have been looking at the following NZXT SENTRY 2 Fan Control - 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller NZXT. Products. and this looks like it will suit my purposes perfectly because I have 5 fans (not including the CPU that will run from the mobo seperately as per your advice). In your opinion, will this controller do what I need it to do? I also found the following A.I Fan Controller Zephyrus and this looks very interesting too but maybe a bit much for my scenario, I don't know.

Sorry to sound stupid here but I can't seem to work out what to do in regards to the existing connections for each of these fans and how I will make this work with the above mentioned fan controller. The 2 front fans have a variable control and molex power connectors. The rear exhaust fan has a molex connector and a 3-speed switch. The side fan has a 3-pin connector & 4-pin adapter with power passthrough provided. The top 200ml exhaust fan has a molex power connector and a 3-speed switch and also a switch to turn on/off the blue LED. Do I cut open the 3-speed switches and the variable controls on the front and place a 3-pin connector to these?

The advice I got back from Antec was far from helpful and very minimal, they said and quote: "The fans in the enclosure connect to the PSU. To connect them to the motherboard you would need a 4 - 3 pin fan adapter cable. If connecting to motherboard please also make sure the fans are set to the high speed setting." I am confused here as I am dealing with 5 fans, what do I connect to, how do I connect to etc. etc. :(

I have looked at the y-connectors you suggested and since it looks like I will be getting the fan controller above that handles 5 fans once I have all the above worked out wouldn't I be best to get 5 x 3pin Fan Extension 75cm like seen here at: http://www.legionenterprises.co.nz/f.../prod_484.html?

Once again your advice has been invaluable and I really do appreciate the time you have taken to help me out here :)

Cheers
          Last edited by webtechnz; 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I am using a sunbeam rheobus 6 fan controller for mine. All the fans plug directly in with their pins, the controller gets 4 pin power from the power supply, and bob's your uncle.
            Those y-adapters are pretty slick though. Didnt know there is such a thing.
            i7 920 D0
            Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

Comment

Sorry I guess you have to power your fans with molex....
              i7 920 D0
              Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

Comment

You don't sound stupid, while the grammar in user guides has improved, they often lack sufficient detail and clarity.

Check out Newegg Fan Connectors for more options.
                Check out Newegg Fan Controllers and read the user reviews to get an idea of the good, the bad, and the terrible.
                Both of these lists are sorted by BEST RATING.

Be sure to read detailed product reviews of any fan controllers that you're considering.
                I respect the reviews at HardwareSecrets and they have a review of the NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller.

Many of the units with colorful displays require that you are looking at them directly and their displays are useless when viewed at a slight angle.

I bought a dozen of the Y-connectors for both of my systems.
                I have 2 types of Y-connectors:
                1. 2 male to 1 female connectors, for connecting 2 fans to 1 fan header
                2. 1 male to 2 female connectors, this is used to connect 1 female connector to the motherboard with the red and black wires removed from the female mobo fan connector. This leaves only the yellow "sense" wire connected the mobo fan header for software fan speed monitoring. The remaining unused red and black wire ends must be carefully insulated so that neither wire can cause a short circuit to the mobo or computer case.

You will need to draw a diagram to see how many of each cable type you will need. When using 2 fans connected to the fan controller (#1 above), you'll need #2 above to connect these dual fans to the mobo fan header if you want software fan monitoring.
                Clear as mud?

The automatic fan speed control sounds possibly useful, but I have some doubts. It looks like you need to position each temperature sensor near the heat source related to each fan. My Zalman controller doesn't have this feature, so I place each temperature probe in the specific area that I want to montior, such as my north-bridge, south-bridge, VRM heatsink, and one for interior case temperatures.

There will be a LOT of new cables in your computer. Don't let them disrupt the air flow inside your case.
                **edit** Try to download user manuals for each fan controller that you are considering.
                I find it a PITA to manually adjust fan speeds when the knobs are attached to the rear of the computer case.

It's been a long day, and I'm tired. I'm sure I'll have to re-edit this later.
                Hey, this is a pretty cool thread, isn't it?

Here is a picture of the #1 Y-cable for connecting 2 (identical/similar) fans to a single 3 or 4-pin fan header or your fan controller.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by profJim; 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

IMO it may be best to use the fan control included on the Tricool fans. They have low medium and high settings. I wouldn't trust the BIOS of a mother board to know how well vented my case needs to be.

For example if you connected the fans along side the CPU fan on that port, the case fans would spin up when the CPU got hot. This might be too late. At times, if there's not enough ventilation all the time, case and CPU temps will creep up and be un responsive to fans throttling up, as if the heat produced needed to be dealt with earlier than the BIOS thought. I hope that makes sense.

I would experiment with minimising your case and component temps using either the built in controls or a fan controler (the Zalman rheobus with chrome dials looks nice in a plain black case, very retro and cool). What I do is monitor GPU, CPU and case temps with the HSF and GPU fans on the max speed I can bare noise wise. I then alter speeds of the other fans, on at a time and then in combination to see which combo of settings gives me the best noise output compared to cooling.

I would be concerned about factors such as the CPU not needing to spin the fans up, but the RAM or chipset getting too warm and not being able to kick the fans up.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I checked out the Zephyrus A.I. fan controller, but couldn't find a user manual to download.
                    It looks promising, but I'd really need to read some detailed reviews to see if it's a good unit. On their website, there was a reference that Vista is not supported, but it wasn't clear which of their products this statement referred to. The was an email contact posted on their site (sales) and it would be worthwhile to contact them and linking to this thread so that they can easily see what you're looking for. Maybe they would give you one if you promised to to a detailed review of their unit.
                    It doesn't hurt to try ;)
                    If you're not interested in doing the review, I would. You've got first dibs. I'll be doing some followup as this product looks promising.

I did a quick google search using:
                    Zephyrus fan controller
                    and this thread was the 13th link!

**edit** Further checking shows that the A.I. controller is discontinued.
                    Last edited by profJim; 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I see the TriCool Fans come free with the case. 30 decibels at full speed isn't quiet. I would suggest buying Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fans which are rated at 21 decibels and let them run at full speed.
                      Newegg.com - Thermaltake A1926 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Airflow is 78CFM (cubic ft per minute) compared to 79CFM for TriCool.
                      <TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=name></TD><TD class=desc></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                      <TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=name></TD><TD class=desc></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                      Last edited by Reggie; 09-24-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

If you read the customer reviews for the Thermaltake fan, there's no way that its 21 db rating is accurate when pushing 78 CFM.
                        It appears to be a good fan, but there's no way it's quiet at full speed.

Comment

I agree with that about Thermaltake fans. Those along with Coolermaster ones have a strangely inaccurate noise level quoted for them. The Both the Coolermaster fan on my old Hyper 212 (rated 19dB at 70 CFM, 2500 RPM) and the fans included with a Thermaltake Armour case (again 19db, ~70 CFM and 2000-2500 RPM) were hellishly loud when running 12V.

The Tricool fans are nice and quiet on low, and the larger fans (140mm +) don't need to be run higher. The 92mm Tricool I had on my old X2 3800+ was noisy at anything above low. The volume wasn't a problem, it was the pitch and tone of the noise that was anoying, like a whine.

If you want quiet fans, and have a big budget go with Noctua. Some say they're not worth the money, but for me they definitely are. The noise is just like it should be with a fan, a whoosh of air and virtually no motor noise. At 7V they also shift a decent ~45CFM. They aren't exactly great looking but they have a life time warranty and do the job superbly. You'll never need to buy another fan again, as if it fails they'll replace it with no questions asked.

I still think that having case fans ramp up with CP|U temp isn't the way to go, but if it's what you want to do then respect to you. profJim's advice and the Y cable suggestion is excellent.

You can get some really nice touch screen LCD controllers now, some even have video playback built in. All depends on your budget. You can get ones with plug in temp sensors so that each fan ramps up when their particular location gets warm. There are also fans that do this using a heat dependant resistor, such as this one from enermax, which works quite well 120mm Enermax UCEV12 Everest TWISTER Fan Temp Control, Blue LED (on/off) inc Rubber A/V Plugs - Scan.co.uk . The fan goes to max at ~ 40c ambient and the temp sensor can be routed to sit next to say the Northbridge etc.
                          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Thanks for all your replies here it has certainly given me heaps to think about.

A question for you profJim...Am I right in saying that all I really need to do with the NZXT 5 fan controller is plug in the existing molex power connectors that are on my fans to the molex connectors on this controller and I am good to go? Refer to the diagram on this page NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller Review | Hardware Secrets

Thanks

Comment

According the figure 5 photo in the review, the molex connectors and the 3-pin male connectors only have two wires, yellow and black.
                              Black = ground
                              Yellow = output voltage to the fan (12 volt maximum)
                              This means that any fans hooked up to these connectors won't be able to be monitored by your motherboard or software monitoring programs.

If each of your fans also has a standard 3 or 4-pin female fan header connector, each fan's speed can be monitored if you connect the yellow wire on the smaller fan connector to the mobo fan header. You don't need the Y-cable for this, you can use a regular fan extension cable, but you must remove the black and red wires from this extension cable and make sure that neither of these wires can short circuit to the any components in your system, mobo or the computer case.

If this isn't clear, I'll take a photograph of one end of my fan cables that is plugged info the mobo fan header. All this photo will show is a single yellow "sense" wire attached to the connector that plugs into the mobo fan header.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must not use this single wire hookup connected to any of the NZXT 2-wire connectors.

Rather than just cutting the red and black wires on the fan extension cable, you can usually use a paperclip or small pointed tool to depress a tab on the connector to release a wire.

Don't confuse the yellow fan extension cable wires with the yellow wires on the NZXT fan controller!!

Comment

Working...
                              X