PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC Shuts Down when Writing CD / DVD

In a world obsessed by speed and recently dominated by SATA drives, what kind of a horder keeps old ide cables in a box and writes "ATA 33" on the oldest ones.... um ... oh hang on - that'll be me! I have just the cable

Wow, what a counter intuitively brilliant IDEa (sorry, bad pun) - works like a dream, DVD burning now up to 16x speed while back to UDMA - perfectly good enough for my customer's modest needs.

VorLonUK - you are a genius of the highest order and have saved me loads of time & best of all, money. Plus, I have learned a thing or two on the way. After three weeks of trying to work this out, you sorted it in a couple of days.

I'm coming here again.

Thanks also to everyone else for jumping in, I have never come across such an equally authorative and helpful crowd on a forum. If there's ever anything I can do in return, just let me know,

Paul
    Glad you've got it all sorted :)

There must be some sort of IDE bug betwen that Nvidia chipset and IDE cd/dvd drives. But in theory with it now set to UDMA 2 (at upto 33MB/s) shouldn't hamper the DVD drive at all as even the latest 24x dvd drives max out at 32.40 MB/s. It's good that you had a 40pin/40 conductor cable to hand as they are not such a commonly found cable these days.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Superb to see this is all sorted now!

And nice to see you back in the forums again VorLonUK! I would have never thought of that myself! Genius!

Comment

Thanks Lsdme :)

As you know it's these sort of posts/problems I find interest in, where it's good to see something eventually operating as it should do.
        Unfortunately (or fortunately) although I overclock albeit modestly myself, I'm rarely interested in the overclocking posts which do tend to take up a sizeable chunk of all the forums posts.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Glad to see you could help here, and hope you can stop in when time permits to help with things you find interest in as we need all the knowledgeable people we can get here.

Thanks again, and glad to see you back in action!

Comment

Working...
          X