Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP45-UD3P - disk issues, can't install XP, HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-UD3P - disk issues, can't install XP, HELP!!

Originally posted by Conners View Post
    DID you load optimized defaults 1st? Might try to clear bios and flash to latest bios... also you can put the bios on a usb memory stick.
    That would have saved you a lot of time....

Comment

What all should I slipstream then? Just SP3?

The install went a little better this time, with just SP3 and the Intel "Pre-Install" drivers from the Gigabyte website slipstreamed.

Can't add "Quick Launch" to my task bar and IE seems to be missing - hmm...

Will mess with it some more, maybe have to do a fresh slipstream yet again...

Last time the network was working, this time it isn't yet. When I had tried to install the ATi video drivers it said I had to install DirectX 8 first (even though I had slipstreamed SP3!?!).

EDIT: Should I try something like "Windows TinyXP Platinum Edition 2"???
      Last edited by critofur; 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
        What all should I slipstream then? Just SP3?

The install went a little better this time, with just SP3 and the Intel "Pre-Install" drivers from the Gigabyte website slipstreamed.

Can't add "Quick Launch" to my task bar and IE seems to be missing - hmm...

Will mess with it some more, maybe have to do a fresh slipstream yet again...

Last time the network was working, this time it isn't yet. When I had tried to install the ATi video drivers it said I had to install DirectX 8 first (even though I had slipstreamed SP3!?!).
        I would start out fresh. Remove all the files from the hdd that Nlite or which ever program you are using to slipstream SP3, created. Reason I say this b/c If your not paying attention which it has happen to me Those program restore settings from last time you ran the program so if you disable something that you shouldnt have its still gonna be disabled. There is a way to slipstream SP3 into your xp disk with out using a program like that its a little hard but at least NOTHING is being removed or added except SP3.

Like LSD said Unless your HDD that your tring to install windows onto is connected to the purple sata ports do not install the Gigabyte sata drivers. If your using the old 40 pin IDE port you should still be fine with out drivers. I personally have had no luck slipstreaming drivers into any OS. If The OS does not see the hdd that you want to install on to then give the OS the driver when it ask for it in xp Press F6 when you see it. Vista has a Have disk button at the point of selecting the HDD. You should have not to supply any drivers unless you have settup Ahci or raid in the bios.

Sata at default nothing special being done to it (should) act as a old IDE drive. You didnt need drivers for xp to install then right?

Edit- Just looked at Nlite's web page (if you are using Nlite). Not that its been updated in a long time but there was 5 updates dealing with SP3 issues. Make sure your using the latest version looks like 1.4.9.1.
        Last edited by Acebmxer; 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Ok, thanks. I am using the latest version of nlite that I downloaded a day or two ago.

Will start all fresh and slipstream ONLY SP3.

Maybe I won't even change any settings - I did lots of stuff like "remove duplicat files" and "delete old BIOS information" etc... Maybe one of those changes screwed it up...

Comment

Ok, thanks. I am using the latest version of nlite that I downloaded a day or two ago.

Will start all fresh and slipstream ONLY SP3.

Maybe I won't even change any settings - I did lots of stuff like "remove duplicat files" and "delete old BIOS information" etc... Maybe one of those changes screwed it up...
            Yeah I did the same then back when I was using XP. (not with this board though) Unless you really know the in's and out's of the OS I would not touch anything thing. The App is supposed to prevent you from removing something that would hurt the OS but I was always able to screw something up. I was successful to be able to just slipstream a SP and nothing else and it worked. Good luck with it.
            Main Rig
            Gigabyte z87x-OC
            Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
            G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
            Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
            Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
            HiS ATI HD 6950
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
            Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
            Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
            Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
            CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
            Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
            EK Supremacy Cpu Block
            Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
            Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Tried the SP3 only slipstream and it says no disk found once you get to the screen where you would pick which disk partition to install to

I wanted to install with the SATA set to "RAID" because I'll be using RAID w/it soon...

Comment

You need to create your RAID array before installing the operating system. You can't create a RAID array with a single 500GB drive.

Comment

Just make it easier on yourself and slipstream SP2 and the Intel Driver for AHCI (I assume that is what you are setting the BIOS to) only for now, install SP3 later on.

Yes, as said above NO RAID without 2+ drives

Comment

I'm not going to RAID the OS disk for now (500GB disk). I've got 3 1.5TB disks and I want to either use 2 in a RAID 1 mirror, or 3 in a RAID 5.

The XP Pro + SP3 slipstream (with nothing else added, no options changed) installed fine when I "Set All To Optimized Defaults" (maybe I did failsafe, not sure, it was late at night and I was tired) - anyway, it turned off AHCI/RAID and set the onboard SATA to "IDE" mode.

Everything seems stable now. But, if I switch the ICH to "RAID" mode it won't boot to Windows and if it's not set to RAID mode I can't install the Intel RAID driver :(

I've been building my own PCs for more than a decade, this was the first time that it simply wasn't worth the hassle - this Gigabyte board has been a giant headache (maybe Seagate is to blame also, wtf why were all my 1.5TB disks setting themselves to show only 500GB?!? There should be some way to LOCK that "feature" off!!!)

If I billed the time I've spent working on this PC at $30 per hour, I could have bought a few Dell PCs by now :P Hopefully I will really like the PC once it's stabilized and working for a while, it's nice and quiet. I got an Antec 300 case with a couple slow spinning 120mm cooling fans, an ATi 4670 video card (very low power, not noisey once you put the case cover on) and an efficient 45nm Intel E7400 CPU. This was all prompted by my current "main" PC literally heating up my room if I leave it on 24/7. I want to be able to leave my PC on without having the video card (and the rest of the system) sucking gobs of power when it's just sitting idle.

I want to thank all of you, it looks like it's going to work now, the last thing to do is see if I can get SeaTools to repair my 1.5's disk size, if not, RMA to Seagate...

EDIT: Hmm, some of you are telling me "don't slipstream the driver" but others are telling me do... At $59 maybe I do want to go ahead and get a 2nd 500GB disk to mirror the OS...

Comment

Maybe I will finish setting up my OS + apps & games, then back it up, then build a mirror and restore from backup to the mirror...

What do you guys think about Windows 7? I haven't tried it yet. I'll see if I can get a free copy [legally] somewhere, Microsoft already has enough $ they don't need more from me!

Comment

I'm not going to RAID the OS disk for now (500GB disk). I've got 3 1.5TB disks and I want to either use 2 in a RAID 1 mirror, or 3 in a RAID 5.

The XP Pro + SP3 slipstream (with nothing else added, no options changed) installed fine when I "Set All To Optimized Defaults" (maybe I did failsafe, not sure, it was late at night and I was tired) - anyway, it turned off AHCI/RAID and set the onboard SATA to "IDE" mode.

Everything seems stable now. But, if I switch the ICH to "RAID" mode it won't boot to Windows and if it's not set to RAID mode I can't install the Intel RAID driver :(

I've been building my own PCs for more than a decade, this was the first time that it simply wasn't worth the hassle - this Gigabyte board has been a giant headache (maybe Seagate is to blame also, wtf why were all my 1.5TB disks setting themselves to show only 500GB?!? There should be some way to LOCK that "feature" off!!!)

If I billed the time I've spent working on this PC at $30 per hour, I could have bought a few Dell PCs by now :P Hopefully I will really like the PC once it's stabilized and working for a while, it's nice and quiet. I got an Antec 300 case with a couple slow spinning 120mm cooling fans, an ATi 4670 video card (very low power, not noisey once you put the case cover on) and an efficient 45nm Intel E7400 CPU. This was all prompted by my current "main" PC literally heating up my room if I leave it on 24/7. I want to be able to leave my PC on without having the video card (and the rest of the system) sucking gobs of power when it's just sitting idle.

I want to thank all of you, it looks like it's going to work now, the last thing to do is see if I can get SeaTools to repair my 1.5's disk size, if not, RMA to Seagate...

EDIT: Hmm, some of you are telling me "don't slipstream the driver" but others are telling me do... At $59 maybe I do want to go ahead and get a 2nd 500GB disk to mirror the OS...

Well to set BIOS to RAID and boot windows, that Windows install must have been installed using the Pre-Install RAID Drivers, that is why it fails to boot as there is no drivers or RAID Array. To Install the driver, you must set BIOS to RAID, create a RAID Array in the RAID BIOS, then install a OS With the RAID Driver

Slipstreaming is up to you, I only said not to because it seemed you maybe were having issues with it all. You can just as easily manually install them during the OS install

But again to install a RAID Driver, Slipstream or manual, you must have two or more disks, the BIOS Set to RAID, a RAID Array created in the RAID BIOS, and then install the driver prior to the OS Install.

Comment

Simply put if you want raid you have to re-install the os with along with the raid drivers.

Comment

Or if XP you can perform a Repair install and load the drivers then, little bit easier if you already have apps and such installed. Windows updates will need reinstalled though, but that's it

Comment

Working...
                            X