Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45T-UD3P problem with windows Vista install

Hi,
    I built a new PC with Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P. A western Digital(WD10EADS) hard disk is connected to the SATA port(yellow/ICH10R chipset).

The BIOS is detecting the hard disk but when I try to install OS, Vista is not recognizing the hard disk.

I manually installed the driveres for ICH10R (from Intell matrix manager) from a flash drive. Even then the OS is not detecting the hard disk.

Can somebody please suggest what other things I can try

thanks

Re: EP45T-UD3P problem with windows Vista install

How do you have the bios setup, are you tring to install AHCI or Raid? If you are you will have to supply drivers doring install if Vista is not see your hdd. Second are you sure your drive works? Vista should need any drivers to see the drives but you can try it and see if that works. Make sure you plug the hdd into SATA_0 port. If yo have a SATA cdrom put that into port 4/5.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Yes, please be sure you connect your hard drive to the proper ports (Yellow SATA2_0) and CD Drive to SATA2_4 or 5

Then you need to set the BIOS properly, we can't advise though what your settings should be without knowing what you are trying to run the drive as though, so please let us know.

And as said above, Vista should see your drive no matter what RAID or AHCI as vista has it's own drivers anyway, adding your own is just optional in Vista. So you may need to either correct your drive placement in the SATA Ports of test your test with the manufacturer tools to be sure it is not faulty

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for the replies.

I connected the HDD to SATA2_0 and DVD drive to SATA2_5.

The BIOS is detecting both the drives but OS(Windows Vista) is still not detecting the Hard disk.

How can I verify if the drivers are working? because I downloaded the drivers from INTEL& GIgabyte and installed them when Vista was not recognizing my HDD

These are my settings in the BIOS, I was planning on activating RAID features later

SATA RAID/AHCI mode: Disabled
        SATA port0-3 Native mode: Disabled

Onboard SATA/IDE device: Enabled
        Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl mode: IDE

The plan is to use this as system hard disk and later add 2 disks for RAID

Thanks for the help

Comment

Drivers are not needed, and you do not need to install Gigabyte ones anyway.

Did you change or set anything in the standard CMOS page? You do not need to, so if you did please load optimized defaults and start over again. If you never loaded optimized defaults please do now, save and apply and reboot and begin the install process.

Do you have something connected on a IDE Ribbon cable, or to the purple SATA Ports? If not you can disable these >>
          Onboard SATA/IDE device: Enabled
          Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl mode: IDE

The other settings are correct for a standard SATA Install, but you can enable native mode if you want. Either way NO Drivers are needed to install vista

Can you test your disk on another system to be sure it is not DOA?

Comment

Hi,
            If a hard disk is bad and cannot be detected by OS, Can it still be detected by the BIOS?

Once again thanks for help

Comment

If the bios doesn't recognize the HD the OS certainly won't.

Comment

Hi,
                The BIOS is detecting the hard disk but OS is not. Can a bad hard disk be detected by BIOS and not detected by OS

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by engala View Post
                  Hi,
                  The BIOS is detecting the hard disk but OS is not. Can a bad hard disk be detected by BIOS and not detected by OS

Thanks

In a standard Sata hdd installation if the hdd is detected by the bios windows should see it. Now if you are tring to use Ahci or raid then depending on OS verions yes the bios or ahci/raid bios would see the drive but not windows untill you give windows installer the drivers to see them. Now I if you have a vanilla Vista Disk with no service pack you might want to try Slip streaming either SP1 or SP2 into it if you have another computer to try. I dont think thats the problem but its been know to work on several XP installs.
                  Main Rig
                  Gigabyte z87x-OC
                  G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                  HiS ATI HD 6950
                  CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                  Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                  EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

So did you test the disk yet?

Comment

HI,
                      Yes, My vista CD is very old. I am in the process of slip streaming an XP CD with SP3.

I am hoping to have better luck with XP......

thanks

Comment

Sorry, I mean have you tested the hard drive with manufacturers diagnostics tools yet?

Comment

Hi,
                          I slipstreamed XP with XP SP3 and was able to install XP on the PC.

I am missing about 200GB partition that was not formatted and it does not show up.

RAID feature is also disabled right now....

thanks for the help....

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by engala View Post
                            Hi,
                            I slipstreamed XP with XP SP3 and was able to install XP on the PC.

I am missing about 200GB partition that was not formatted and it does not show up.

RAID feature is also disabled right now....

thanks for the help....

Thanks for the help

You can try a utility called Acronis and see if it is capable of resizing your partition to use the full capacity of the hdd. Acronis or Partition magic allow you to resize partitions on the fly with out losing data.
                            Main Rig
                            Gigabyte z87x-OC
                            HiS ATI HD 6950
                            CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                            Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                            EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

if it is not formatted partion, it will not shoe up because vista woun't know what letter to assign to it..

it must be formatted ( just the partition)

also bear in mind, the size of hdd might be slightly smaller then the advertised size due the how they calculate the size.

Gigabyte EP45-ud3p REV 1.6 BIOS >> FDa

CoolMAX 700W CTI-700B with 3 12v rails.

Intel e5200 @ 1.4V = 3.75ghz ( 12.5 X 300)

Crucial Ballastix 4-4-4-12 800 2.0v ( 2gig X2 dual kit)
                              BL2KIT25664AA80A

evga 9600gt low voltage edition.

WD 750 BLACK sata drive wd7501aals

Comment

Working...
                              X