Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor fell off

I had a look at my PC and i noticed a capacitor on the floor of the case

The capacitor is completely intact with the plastic bit on the bottom and the pins are fine. It seems it wasnt even soldered on, there was just some glue on the plastic bit and the pins just touching the requiered area.

How do i put it back on? Use silicone? Use superglue? (wouldnt that cause damage? Solder it?

Im writing from my PC now, it works fine without it for some reason.

Re: Capacitor fell off

solder it but be very very careful to put just enough. not sure how to handle determining what the polarity should be, which pin goes in which whole, without powering on the and trying to meter it though.

Edit: duh you have a photo to use to determine the polarity, nevermind.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
    Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
    3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Antec 1200 Gamer Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Sure enough you void your warrenty if you do it yourself, if it is under warrenty still.

Comment

Well there is a plastic bit on the bottom which is rounded off on one side and edgy on the other, there is an outline on the mobo aswell, so i cannot missplace it. As long as it is fixable and not being noticable on the mobo, im fine with it. I just don't know which method to use

Comment

Solder is the only way but soldering a pcb can be very tricky - it is easy to lift the copper foil and then you have real problems.
          If it was not properly soldered at the factory I would strongly advise an RMA. As the other poster said, if you solder it yourself your warranty is gone.
          i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
          Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
          3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
          2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
          Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
          G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
          Corsair HX850 PSU
          Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

The capacitors on the mobo have a plastic bit on the bottom, and the pins coming out of them. Now on one side of the plastic bit, there is a trace of glue and on the PCB aswell, but no trace of soldering whatsoever. Maybe im wrong.

And if i decide soldering it - any step by step advise?

Comment

Soldering would be up to you, and as mentioned above likely could void your warranty should you do it incorrectly.

I would contact Gigabyte via phone or email if I were you, and see what they advise. Likely RMA, so I would inquire if you could be SURE you get your exact NEW board back.

If you Just bought it, you should have no issues returning it to the place of purchase for a refund/replacement, but since it is working you will need to tell them about this otherwise they might test it and find no problems and deny your RMA/Refund.

Comment

Working...
              X