Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can CPU_FAN header on EX58 handle 3 fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can CPU_FAN header on EX58 handle 3 fans?

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
    The Sys_fan_1 header is a full 12V header. As long as you turn BIOS temp control off, you will get a full 12V all the time. Until recently I had a thermalright T-Rad 2 with a 120mm fan attached to that header. I used a Zalman fan mate to control speeds and can confirm the fan was always at full speed when the fan mate was set to max. This is the header near the HD audio for the front of the case, just to be 100% clear on its location.

Personally I like to regulate my case fans manually. I use the maximal speed for the temps I need. With my Noctua and Enermax fans that just means a max 12V as they're already ~19dB at full voltage. I also keep my CPU fan on full, as it's also a silent Noctua.

I certainly wouldn't have my case fans dependant on CPU temp, as there's much more in the case than just the CPU. All components rely on ambient case temps for cooling, and I like to keep it as low as possible. Just my opinion though, ofc people are free to do what they want.
    Again,excuse my ignorance but your saying you want you fans including the CPU fan to be at full force all the time? The way I could do that then is to turn off the Smart Fan controller in the BIOS for the Noctua fan in the front of the cooler and hook up the rear fan attached to the rear of the cooler to the Sys.1Fan header and turn off Temp Control for that in the BIOS.This way the both fans would be running all out all the time for MAX cooling. Thanks for the help by the way. I just dont want to be stressing out any MOBO header I guess.
    Last edited by kenestra1; 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I already have my fans all at 100%, just expressing the way I like to have things set up, with really quiet fans and loads of air flow. :thumbsup.

I do have the fans on my pair of Scythe Musashi cooled GPU's at half way though, with an additional 120mm fan at 5V keeping the back of both cards near the VRM's cool.

I wil soon be getting a fan controller for my case. I just don't like the idea of CPU temps dictating how fast my case fans should spin. That's fine for the CPU HSF if that's what you want but you could fir example have a situation where the CPU is cool but the case is being heated up by the RAM, a GPU, the NB etc.

None of these suggestions are right or wrong, it's just personal taste.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
        The Sys_fan_1 header is a full 12V header. As long as you turn BIOS temp control off, you will get a full 12V all the time. Until recently I had a thermalright T-Rad 2 with a 120mm fan attached to that header. I used a Zalman fan mate to control speeds and can confirm the fan was always at full speed when the fan mate was set to max. This is the header near the HD audio for the front of the case, just to be 100% clear on its location.
        You are correct and I have edited my previous post to reflect the fact that I was describing the SYS_FAN2 header. (Sorry)

kenestra1: PWM stand for Pulse Width Modulation. It is the way that "better" fans are speed controlled.
        These fans are normally, in the PC world, 4-wire fans. Most CPU coolers use 4-wire fans for their heatsinks.

I tried running my fans at full speed all the time but with the high CFM ones that I use, the constant sound of the fans was annoying.
        If I had other components in my case which generated too much heat independent of the CPU in my case, I would change the main intake and exhaust fans to use a fan controller which could handle Sensor-adjusted Speed regulation for those components.

Comment

P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Well these are idle temps at stock speed now with fans running full out off of the CPU-Fan. I was still thinking of reseating the Cooler though,what do you think?

Comment

They look absolutely fine for a 920 i7. It's load temps that count really. I find having all fans on full cuts my load temp by a couple of degrees. I suppose it's a combination of a regularly maintained ambient and keeping CPU temp in check right away so that it never has a chance to get too hot at any load.

Set up your fans how you're going to have them, with BIOS PWM engaged and see how it effects the temp of the CPU (idle and load), GPU (idle and load) and the NB (idle and prime large fft load). Also it may be a good idea to estimate the temp of the RAM at idle and load. To do this you'd need to open the case after a while and after getting rid of static, touching the RAM.
              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I agree with Psycho101 that those temperatures look good.

What is your Ambient Temperature? (The temperature in the room.)

I agree that Idle temps mean less than Load temps.

Load temps show the truth!

Comment

Working...
                X