What is HT and what is it for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is HT and what is it for?

I see people saying they have HT enabled or disabled. I looked in the BIOS and cant find it. What is it? What does it do and should I enable it?
    GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
    INTEL I7 920
    EVGA GTX295 COOP
    OCZ GOLD OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24
    THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME 1366RT
    CORSAIR HX1000 CMPSU POWER SUPPLY
    XFI EXTREME MUSIC SOUND CARD
    2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS
    1 SATA2 SEAGATE 500GB DRIVE
    1 SATA WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 300GB DRIVE
    1 SATA MAXTOR 250 GB DRIVE
    COOLERMASTER ATCS840 CASE
    RUNNING VISTA 64 ULTIMATE and Windows 7

Re: What is HT and what is it for?

HT is an abreviation for Hyper-Threading.
    For some odd reason Award Software chose to use CPU Multi-Threading, and verious manuals descriptions are pretty much bogus.

Comment

So your saying hyper threading is the same as CPU multi threading? Should it be enabled or disabled? Whats the difference?
      Last edited by shaned; 09-05-2009, 05:12 AM.
      GA-EX58-UD5 F9E BIOS
      INTEL I7 920
      EVGA GTX295 COOP
      OCZ GOLD OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24
      THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME 1366RT
      CORSAIR HX1000 CMPSU POWER SUPPLY
      XFI EXTREME MUSIC SOUND CARD
      2 PIONEER DVD BURNERS
      1 SATA2 SEAGATE 500GB DRIVE
      1 SATA WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB DRIVE
      1 SATA MAXTOR 300GB DRIVE
      1 SATA MAXTOR 250 GB DRIVE
      COOLERMASTER ATCS840 CASE
      RUNNING VISTA 64 ULTIMATE and Windows 7

Comment

As I said documentaion is bogus. If you have 8 CPUs(in Task Manager performance tab) when enabled and 4 when disabled than yes this is Hyper-Threading.
        My CPU does not support Hyper-Threading Technology and my BIOS does not have that option so I cannot tell you for certain.

Comment

Most games benefit from it actually being off. I would therefore switch it off for gaming. It generally provides a performance advantage in applications that are designed to take advantage of more than 4 CPU cores. Most games do not do that though, and they actually take a performance hit from it.

Intel's current official name is actually SMT - Simultaneous Multi-Threading.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
            Most games benefit from it actually being off. I would therefore switch it off for gaming. It generally provides a performance advantage in applications that are designed to take advantage of more than 4 CPU cores. Most games do not do that though, and they actually take a performance hit from it.

Intel's current official name is actually SMT - Simultaneous Multi-Threading.
            I don't necessarily agree with you, your saying games take a hit as if its significant or noticeable (marginal differences shouldn't be used as a reason to disable it), I recommend you keep it on, as you can expect a better multitasking experience, I use it and i have notice certain applications that take advantage of it. of course I'm not going to sit here and measure minute differences, but intel implemented these for a reason so software can take advantage of them.

Comment

I can get a stable oc of 4410 with ht off. The best I can safely do with ht on is 4200. All the evidence I have been able to accrue tells me that any benefit gained from ht is marginal at best.
              The extra 200megahertz of clock speed IMHO well offsets any performance lost from disabling HT.
              I think that will change in the future as more apps are written to take advantage of multiple cores. In the meanwhile I will settle for a mere four :).
              i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
              Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
              3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
              2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
              Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
              G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
              Corsair HX850 PSU
              Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

I keep it disabled, saves me about 8c on average . check this short article out real quick, looks interesting...

The Frostbite 2 Game Engine For The Battlefield Series Might Go DirectX 11 - Legit Reviews
                i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
                Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
                6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
                Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                Corsair tx750 PSU
                EVGA GTX260 SC
                Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
                WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
                ASUS Xonar DX
                Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                Windows 7 64bit

Comment

and from what i've seen , video encoding and such take much less time to do the job with HT/MT/SMT whatever you may call it on.
                  Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                  Corsair tx750 PSU
                  EVGA GTX260 SC
                  ASUS Xonar DX
                  Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                  CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                  Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Hyper threading is usefull if you have a lot of apps open , if you only run 1 game then its not needed ... you loose about 5 fps with it enabled not a biggie . But gain hugley if you have a lot of apps open and running , sever apps for instance.

To simplify
                    Each app you have open is alocated 1 of your cores if you have 2 cores then you open 3 apps you get pauses as each apps thread gets a timer on core use.

with HT you get addition virtual cores , suppose your app is only using 20% of core 1 ... with HT that not used 80% can be given, allocated to another apps thread.
                    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
                    Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
                    Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
                    Corsair TX650 psu
                    Nvidia GTX 280
                    Mem G.Skill or OCZ
                    2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
                    Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
                    Vista 64

Comment

I actually did a test last nite , doing a full scan with Kaspersky 9.0 First test HT was off and it took about 15 minutes to get to 10% . I cancelled it, rebooted with HT ON and started a new full scan. about 30 seconds in, im at 10%. ... Dont know if kaspersky already recognized the previously scanned files or what. But i really dont think HT can do something that big.

That link i showed above is for the FROSTBITE 2 engine which is designed to use anywhere from 2-8 cores/threads simultaneously . This is the beginning.
                      Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                      Corsair tx750 PSU
                      EVGA GTX260 SC
                      ASUS Xonar DX
                      Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                      CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                      Windows 7 64bit

Comment

The problem is memory. Memory is by far slower than the CPU. Running a single thread on a single core results at times where there is no available instructions+data to feed the ALUs and the core doing nothing while data is being fethed.
                        With two excution threads that work on different memory areas this is less likely to happen, and the result is that the ALUs are always kept busy.
                        For any performance loss with HT enabled I would guess it is either Microsoft to blame or more likely the software that suffered performance loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                          For any performance loss with HT enabled I would guess it is either Microsoft to blame or more likely the software that suffered performance loss.
                          I'm wondering if a thread is passed to a virtual core (HT), that HT core then wanted to do its work on a real real core thats busy or at 100% load. In this case a slow down results.

If this situation occurs ... i.m sure microsft has some HT manger that monitors real core usage and allocates the Hyper threads accordingly.
                          Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
                          Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
                          Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
                          Corsair TX650 psu
                          Nvidia GTX 280
                          Mem G.Skill or OCZ
                          2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
                          Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
                          Vista 64

Comment

Originally posted by Ickk View Post
                            If this situation occurs ... i.m sure microsft has some HT manger that monitors real core usage and allocates the Hyper threads accordingly.
                            Exactly. HT is reccomended for HT awer OSs only.
                            I am quite sure Windows will favor diffrent physical cores before it will assign 2 processes to a virtual core.
                            But software has the ability to set affinity to a single or several processors and may prevent Windows from assigning a real core.

Still Intel is the last I'd suspect. They learned their leson with the FDIV bug.

Comment

With the coming of DX11 and it supposedly being extremely multi threaded, HT will no doubt be a boon to gamers. As it stands now, Nickel020 is correct with what he says. Having HT on can negatively effect gaming performance. It can do so anywhere from a tiny un noticable bit to a good chunk of FPS, depending on the game. If HT does happen to disagree with a game you're currently playing, then by all means disabling HT temporarily would be the correct thing to do, especially if you get HT caused dips below your comfort range for FPS.

I've used a 920 in Windows with both HT on and off. I have to say that personally I couldn't tell the difference. Windows GUI and most programs don't even use 4 cores as effectively as they could, let alone 8. The only time I noticed whas when running VirtualDub and a couple of transcoding apps. In tht case you'd be a fool to have HT off, as the performance results were sweet indeed!

It comes down to what you use the PC for. In all honesty, if you're a gamer, then a 1156 bsed PC or Even a 775 will be more than fine. Core i7 simply isn't needed in a gaming PC. The main reasons being that most PC games are ports of current console games or developed in unison and the fact that thet much CPU power just isn't needed yet (Hopefully in DX11 though). If Gaming only, I'd have HT off, save a few degrees c and maybe get a hiogher clock frequency (games srill scale with frequency on a i7, just not as much with the change in architecture IMO). If you run a work station and use multi threaded apps, DEFINITELY leave it on. If you run a wide range of stuff, leave it on initially and try it off too.
                              Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                              Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                              Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                              TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                              2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                              Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                              Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                              WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                              Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                              Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                              Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
                              X