windows paging file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows paging file

Just did a bit of reading on windows paging file. I disabled it and noticed one of the consequences of doing so, no memory dump files so i cant see what error occured on BSOD while overclocking.

From what i understand, the paging file is only used when physical memory usage is maxing out.

Does disabling it or reducing the file size offer any performance increase at all?
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Re: windows paging file

The only way you take a performance hit is when Windows needs the paging file resulting in disk activity. You don't say how much ram you have but if you have over 4gb to take advantage of your 64 bit OS then you would not see any performance hit at all.

It is usually not a good idea to do away with the paging file altogether as you have seen re dump files. Also, the are some apps that need a paging file. Beat to just leave it at system manage.
    i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
    2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
    G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

Yea i set it to match my RAM at 6gb. Sucks not knowing what your BSOD codes are.

Thanks Genec.
      i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
      Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
      6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
      Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
      Corsair tx750 PSU
      EVGA GTX260 SC
      Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
      WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
      ASUS Xonar DX
      Klipsch Promedia 2.1
      CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
      Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Getting rid of the page file can hurt performance regardless of how much RAM you have. Performance isn't decreased by a huge amount, and likely only detectable via benchmarks, however it does prove that having no swap file isn't the fastest option.

PC Format Magazine published a 5 page article in the September issue (issue 230) detailing different methods of organising the swap file. The following is an exert from the summary (Copyright Future Publishing, and all that legal blah, blah):

"Having no page file, while it might sound clever on the face of it could actually slow things down ever so slightly and if you do hit a low memory situation it's going to cause problems. We can see that anyone with a SSD will be fine with either a fixed or system managed page file. For the rest of us the best solution is to opt for a user fixed size page file and as most users now have a second hard drive in their machine, choose to store two seperate fixed page files, one on each drive. When swapping does occur, this will keep times down to a minimum."

From the many graphs they published (which I obviously can't post) the difference between a single fixed swap file and two, on seperate drives is not drastic, but two seperate files does win. This is an advantage in two ways. Firstly because crash dumps require a page file on the OS partition and secondly because there are two different sets of read/write heads working on transmiting page file data. there seems to be some kind of of primative RAID0 style spreading of info over the two files, meaning transfer times in that config improve.
        Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
        Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
        TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
        2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
        Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
        WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
        Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
        Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
        Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Mark Russinovich explains a bit why a pagefile is usefull in one of his blogs here *note the pagefile part is at the end * https://blogs.technet.com/markrussin...7/3155406.aspx

"Some feel having no paging file results in better performance, but in general, having a paging file means Windows can write pages on the modified list (which represent pages that aren’t being accessed actively but have not been saved to disk) out to the paging file, thus making that memory available for more useful purposes (processes or file cache). So while there may be some workloads that perform better with no paging file, in general having one will mean more usable memory being available to the system (never mind that Windows won’t be able to write kernel crash dumps without a paging file sized large enough to hold them)."
          Last edited by Ickk; 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM.
          Gigabyte EX58-UD4P rev 1.0
          Intel I7 920 C0/C1 step batch 3838B034
          Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1336
          Corsair TX650 psu
          Nvidia GTX 280
          Mem G.Skill or OCZ
          2x WD Caviar Black 500gb Raid 0
          Case Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
          Vista 64

Comment

I've also noticed that an application I use "Ultimate Defrag" needs a pagefile for its boot time module to work (which took me a long time to figure out why it wasn't working ) and that the game "Warhammer: Dawn of War II" requires one as well to even start so yeah for some things a pagefile is unavoidable.

Comment

Perfect Disk also needs a page file for boot time defragging.

I always use, suggest, and set for those who are not looking a user defined amount. I make that amount at least 1-1.5 x the ram installed, and set the min and max values to matching amounts, that way less fragmentation occurs.

Comment

Working...
              X