stuck on Gigabyte splash screen EP45 UD3P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck on Gigabyte splash screen EP45 UD3P

Help! I've royally screwed something up and I can't figure out what.

I went in and switched GPU cards to an Evga 9800 GT which I've used before and kept getting the long beep. I then realized I didn't have the 6 pin aux power connector attached and got that on, making the long beep stop. Then my sytem wouldn't boot past the Gigabyte splash screen.

I switched back to my old card and still no luck. I cleared the CMOS. No luck. I removed 2 sticks of RAM. No luck. Anybody have a way out of this? I'm just stuck on the splash screen and can't get into the bios. Thanks!

Andy B
    Q6600, 4g Corsair PC 6400 RAM, Corsair HX 620 psu

Re: stuck on Gigabyte splash screen EP45 UD3P

remove power cord from the back of the PSU hold the power button on the front of your case for 20-30 sec to make sure all power is drained. try again if still wont boot do the same this time shot the clear cmos jumper again but leave it shorted out for up to 20 min. reconnect everything try again if not you may need to leave jumper on clear cmos pins for up to 1hr but it shouldn't need that long also try removing the battery up to 1hr. One of those combination's should clear the cmos. If it worked correctly you should get a check sum error telling you to enter bios when you do chose Load Optimized Defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Will give it a try and report back. Thanks a lot.

Andy B

Comment

Took the battery out for an hour and did the other things as well.

Still not working...if I push Tab when I turn it on I get the post screen but it hangs up at "detecting IDE drives..."

It says my memory tests "ok" and it sees my DVD drive and 3 of my 5 hard drives.

Got a bad feeling about this one.

Comment

How are your drives connected IDE, SATA? which ports are they connected to if SATA? Disconnect all drives see if it boots then connect the drive the os is installed onto or will be if this is a new build. One by one reconnect all drives untill it wont boot then try again with out that drive then try that drive by its self.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Try disconnecting all disk drives and the cables from the board.

Comment

Next morning update:

POST screen shows ALL the hard drives right off the bat.

Got into the BIOS!!

And, ultimately, into Windows XP where everything seems to be normal.

On rebooting, however everything seems to be EXTREMELY sluggish. Minutes on the Gigabyte logo screen...minutes on the following boot screen..all in all, about 12 to 15 minutes to get into Windows where everything seems normal.

My date/Time thing said jan 1 2008 but I guess that's because of resetting the CMOS.

I've gone through this process 3 times so far, slow as molasses every time. Any suggestions? My BIOS is an old F6 bios...should I flash into a newer BIOS?

Thanks for the help.

Andy B

Comment

Originally posted by w1awb View Post
                Next morning update:

POST screen shows ALL the hard drives right off the bat.

Got into the BIOS!!

And, ultimately, into Windows XP where everything seems to be normal.

On rebooting, however everything seems to be EXTREMELY sluggish. Minutes on the Gigabyte logo screen...minutes on the following boot screen..all in all, about 12 to 15 minutes to get into Windows where everything seems normal.

My date/Time thing said jan 1 2008 but I guess that's because of resetting the CMOS.

I've gone through this process 3 times so far, slow as molasses every time. Any suggestions? My BIOS is an old F6 bios...should I flash into a newer BIOS?

Thanks for the help.

Andy B
                When you entered the bios did you try and load optimized defualts. This is a must after clearing the cmos. you might want to try and update to F9 or F10e beta bios. But First I would make sure you Load Optimized Defaults press F10 to save and exit renter bios enter M.I.T make the necessary changes for your ram Voltage and Timings. Turn off the Gigabyte screen to see exactly the delay is coming from. Are you using Ahci or raid? Also under Advanced BIOS Features make sure Init Display First is set to PEG1 for the first PCI-E slot that is where your video card should be.
                Main Rig
                Gigabyte z87x-OC
                HiS ATI HD 6950
                CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Yes, I loaded optimized defaults and changed init display from PCi to PEG but I still get a 12 minute boot. It was 2 minutes or less before all this started happening. I also noticed my e-SATA ports no longer work, for some reason.
                  Very strange....
                  Andy B

Comment

Although everything is taking way longer than it should, the big wait seems to be between the select operating system (XP or XP with 3g switch) enter and the Windows screen which is over 6 minutes. Doesn't matter at all whether I choose XP or XP with the 3 gig switch.

Used to be I would press enter at this point and it was a few seconds before my Windows screen came up. now it hangs on that screen for close to 6 minutes before transitioning to black, then the windows screen.

thanks again for your help.
                    Andy B

Comment

Is it possible that flashing the BIOS would fix this problem? My current BIOS is F6.

Andy B

Comment

Originally posted by w1awb View Post
                        Although everything is taking way longer than it should, the big wait seems to be between the select operating system (XP or XP with 3g switch) enter and the Windows screen which is over 6 minutes. Doesn't matter at all whether I choose XP or XP with the 3 gig switch.

Used to be I would press enter at this point and it was a few seconds before my Windows screen came up. now it hangs on that screen for close to 6 minutes before transitioning to black, then the windows screen.

thanks again for your help.
                        Andy B
                        Are both OS's on the same HD? if so you might have a failing drive or it is some how corrupted. But you did not answer if you are using Ahci or raid. What happens if you boot into safe mode? If I remember this started when you swapped out the video card and after checking your hdd cables its started to boot back up again just every long time. I would Tripple check ALL Cables going to mother board and drives hdd or cd drives. If you installed the OS onto a drive with Ahci or raid enabled I dont know how the OS will react after Loading Optimized defaults will react if you do not turn them back on. If this is not the case then I think something happened to either one of the drives connected or Both OS's got messed up somehow. Make sure you reconnected the drives to the proper port on the mother board. If your using the Yellow Intel controller make sure the drive with your OS is pluged into Port 0 and other drives following suit after. Make sure you cd drive is plugged into that last port on the controller.

At this point updating to the latest bios probly wont help out unless the bios settings are corrupt. It wouldnt hurt to update it you never know but I would try the other things first.
                        Main Rig
                        Gigabyte z87x-OC
                        HiS ATI HD 6950
                        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                        EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I never disconnected the drives (of which I have 5) My OS is on the C drive but I'm pretty sure it lists as drive 1...not drive 0 which is something else. It's always been that way. I've never really understood the Gigabyte drive setup...I have it in whatever that quasi IDE mode they use. No
                          RAID or AHCI. All the other drives seem fine but I'll run my HD Tune on em to make sure.

The only thing weird was that my out board Glyph drive which I was running with e-sata failed to show up so I switched it to firewire and it's now fine.

I'll try your original suggestion tomorrow about unplugging everything except the OS drive and seeing what happens. This is driving me nuts.
                          Thanks again!
                          Andy B

Comment

Alright, now I've switched the OS drive to channel 0 and the DVD drive shows up as slave. Both drives also show up in channel 4. Very strange.

I flashed to the F8 bios from 6...no change. I'm thinking of running a repair installation on windows XP...what do you think? the longest wait is between the OS bootup screen and the first apearance of XP.

I unplugged all the drives except the OS and it was a little faster but not much.

Andy B

Comment

Working...
                            X