Do you guys use the builtin NIC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you guys use the builtin NIC?

I had some problems initially with my GA-EX58-UD3R board that I fixed quick enough with a BIOS and driver update. It uses the Realtek 8111D NIC. I'm curious though in how many folks use this as their NIC, or if its better to get a LAN card. I'm not thinking of any of the Bigfoot cards as I've heard they are a waste of money. I'm more interested to know if the Realtek is a P.O.S. Is it better to use a PCI-E gigabyte LAN card?

Re: Do you guys use the builtin NIC?

There is no noticeable difference besides extra cost and work not using the integrated Network adapter. Its all i ever used since my 1ghz celeron HP desktop years and years ago to my notebooks , to my UD3R-i7 and systems i've built in between.

Take a look at this, not sure exactly how it measures up but it sure sounds nice.
    EVGA | Articles | EVGA Killer Xeno Pro
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Thanks dbee.

BTW, that is the Bigfoot Killer NIC I was referring to. They claim better pings in gaming but from what I've read, the cost is not worth the extra few ping reduction one gets. It's something like $150 and it might reduce by ~6 your ping.

Comment

I really dont think any NIC would be worth it when you already have it built in. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Ok thats what you meant by bigfoot , got u. I really would not bother with any of em. Really just another piece of hardware for another headache.

I dunno if your looking for faster internet or what it may be, check into upgrading internet service. Verizon has FIOS in some areas and its speeds/price blow all others away .

I know comcast has a similar internet service to Verizon , but like them is not available in all areas , such as mine. I pay around 65/month for crappy comcast where i get well below average speeds. D/L's really aint bad, but i always notice i have bad ping and some games lag, sometimes alot , sometimes hardly at all.

I know this is due to the city and its internet traffic , especially your neighbors who hog the bandwidth downloading 24/7. To top it all off, much of these companies place caps on bandwidth and the like. Know im off topic , just had to release my anger at Comcrap. I know they beat the hell out of other services around here but it just really irritates me especially when i could get a FIOS plan if it were available for 50 bucks or so rated at 15 down and 5 up compared to my 6/1 plan Hey, thanks for listening.
        i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
        Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
        6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
        Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
        Corsair tx750 PSU
        EVGA GTX260 SC
        Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
        WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
        ASUS Xonar DX
        Klipsch Promedia 2.1
        CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
        Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Thanks dbee. Unfortunately FIOS is not available in my area.

The NIC card I ordered was in my frantic attempt to try and solve a problem I had with wired connectivity. I've since solved that problem. It had nothing to do with the Realtek NIC. It was my router. I can send the NIC card back that I ordered.

Comment

Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
            X