• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UD3P and Q9550 Overclock Problems

Occt 3.1.

Comment

All 4 cores at that temp? What are the idle temps and room temperature?

Comment

I was going to attach all 4 graphs of the cpu temps but it looks like I can only do one attachment at a time? If not, a little guidance would be appreciated. Anyway, cpu 2, 3,and 4 run one or two degrees cooler. The room temp is a cool 65F and the case is a Lian Li P61 with all the fans running.

Attached Files

Comment

Oh ok cool ambiant makes sense

Comment

Check posts by conners and acebmxer like the one acebmx linked.

The big core voltage difference will go if you enable llc ,load line calibration.
            1.33 will be like 1.31 under load ,that kind of thing.
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

re: Cpu Vcore displayed voltage
              It's normal with your mobo to see that the displayed voltage (at idle) will be 0.04 volts lower than the value set in your bios.

A snip from Conner's bios settings with the same mobo and cpu:

Conners q9550 @ 3.80GHz [8.5 x 450]
              MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
              Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Fast
              CPU Clock Ratio ...........................: 8 X
              Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: +0.5
              CPU Frequency ...................: 3.8GHz<-- note much lower setting

See if setting a lower CPU Vcore is fully stable and if it eliminates the wake from sleep issue.
              Stability testing needs to be run for at least 6 - 10 hours. A 24 hour test is even better.

Important note: When Conners went from 3.6 to 3.8GHz, he was smitten by the overclocking bug and didn't stop until his system was stable at 4.25GHz.
              Who knows, he might even try for an even higher o/c.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

It ain't cpu-z or OCCT that is causing the wake up problem. I had this thing running at 4.7GHz for hours under load with no problems - even lowered the Vcore voltage to 1.26 and it kept running. Then I let it go to sleep and it would not wake up without me turning off the main power switch and then finally after several attempts by the MB it resumed Vista. I then increased the voltage to 1.3V and still had the problem. I lowered the FSB to 425 or 3.4GHz and everything worked like it should. It looks like at least one other person has this same issue. Any ideas on what I should change would be appreciated. I can make the problem occur anytime I so desire - just go beyond 3.4GHz!

Sorry ProfJim I posted before I read your post. I think I hit all your points by accident but I would just like to get to a system that runs quietly at 3.8GHz and will wake up like a good boy so Windows Home Server can do it's back up thing in the middle of the night.
                Last edited by Ken429; 08-28-2009, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken429 View Post
                  It looks like at least one other person has this same issue. Any ideas on what I should change would be appreciated. I can make the problem occur anytime I so desire - just go beyond 3.4GHz!
                  Well this person has a completely different setup, not the same board anyway.
                  I do suspect it's has something to do with the BIOS, but I don't expect GIGABYTE to put much effort in it as it's not realy an overclockers board.
                  The reson I suspect BIOS is the difference between power on vcore and target vcore showed in ET6. It might however be just a glitch in ET6.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you add your bios version and mobo version to your signature, you'll make it much easier for us. Changing "UD3P" to EP45-UD3P will avoid confusion, as there are several UD3P motherboards in the Gigabyte lineup.

You should contact Gigabyte tech support directly and briefly describe that you're having sleep issues above xxxx frequencies. Your rev:1.6 mobo only has two bios versions, and they differ from the available versions for the rev:1.0 and rev:1.1 EP45-UD3P motherboards.
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Do you have any suggestions on the best way to get Gigabyte Tech Support. The last time I tried as soon as I said OC they went silent.

Comment

You might have more luck if you can skirt the issue by stating that your system is completely stable when running your system at 3.6GHz but the wake from sleep function does not work, and you would like to know when they will have a bios fix to address this issue.
                        Maybe they'll be more responsive if you ask if you should RMA your motherboard.

I wish more forum members included their operating system version in their forum signature like you did. Add "rev:1.6" to your signature and I'll keep quiet :)
                        Let us know if tech support replies to your inquiry.

Comment

For what it's worth - Gigabyte Tech Support says its a common problem with an overclocked Crossfire enabled board and an Nvidia Video card. Something about getting back in sinc when exiting sleep mode.
                          XFX says -
                          BRIAN 8/28/2009 6:04:13 PM] Hi, I`ve never heard of that before. Overclocking is not an exact science and some aspects may not work right when you are pushing components past certain points. If it is stable at 3.4GHz, then I would keep it there. If only sleep mode doesn`t work at 3.6GHz, then there really isn`t much that can be done since when you overclock anything, it is not guaranteed to work. Also, if you are not overclocking the card, then I really don`t think that this is going to be a video card issue. Thanks, Brian."
                          Can you believe it? I think I bought my last XFX card!

When I look at the three systems on this forum that have experienced this problem they all have Nvidia based video cards?!
                          Last edited by Ken429; 08-28-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                            Well this person has a completely different setup, not the same board anyway.
                            I do suspect it's has something to do with the BIOS, but I don't expect GIGABYTE to put much effort in it as it's not realy an overclockers board.
                            The reson I suspect BIOS is the difference between power on vcore and target vcore showed in ET6. It might however be just a glitch in ET6.

That is normal, Power ON Vcore can be default or anything you have set in the Past. Target Vcore is what you currently have set in the BIOS. Same applies to the Freq tab

Here is mine so you can see it is normal

Basically you can ignore that left section as it is random and rarely correct, same applies to settings you see on the left in the BIOS, they are NOT Auto settings.

Comment

HELP! I could not leave well enough alone and did a CMOS clear. I thought I would start fresh and maybe... clear up any problem I might have created along the way. Wrong. When I rebooted with the settings that I thought were stable prior to the CMOS clearing the system would only run for a few minutes before getting a CPU failure (different core each time I tried). In fact, it would not even boot at 3.7MHz. So here are my latest settings. The system runs for hours under OCCT 3.1. at 3.6GHZ. The system idles at 1.33V and runs under load at 1.28-1.30V?! The cpu temps never get above 50C but I'm cheating since the room temp is 65F and the cover is off the case. Anyway, the system will still not boot at 3.7MHz. Does that mean I got a lousy system and 3.6MHz is as good as it gets or is there something I should look at changing? I have tried upping the Vcore voltage to 1.38750V, CPU Termination to 1.32V, MCHCore to 1.32V and DRAM to 2.06V but it does not seem to make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Code:
                              Motherboard: Model: GA-EP45-UD3P(rev 1.6) Bios Version:  FB
                              Cpu: Q9550 E0
                              Ram: 2X2GB Brand:  Mushkin 996559 [URL="http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=661"]XP2-8500 DDR2 - Mushkin Enhanced[/URL]
                              Power Supply Unit: Corsair 620HX

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                              Robust Graphics Booster ---------------- : [Auto] 
                              CPU Clock Ratio ------------------------ : [ 8 X]
                              Fine CPU Clock Ratio ------------------- : [+0.0] 
                              CPU Frequency -----------------------: 3.60GHz( 450X8)
                              Clock Chip Control
                              Standard Clock Control
                              CPU Host Clock Control ----------------- : [Enabled]
                              CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) --------------- : [ 450]
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ------------ : [ 100]
                              C.I.A.2 -------------------------------- : [Disabled]
                              Advanced Clock Control     [Press Enter]
                              CPU Clock Drive ------------------------ : [ 800mV]
                              PCI Express Clock Drive ---------------- : [ 900Mv]
                              CPU Clock Skew (ps) -------------------- : [   0ps]
                              MCH Clock Skew (ps) -------------------- : [   0ps]
                              DRAM Performance Control
                              Performance Enhance -------------------- : [Standard]
                              Extreme Memory Profile --- (X.M.P.) ---- : [Disabled]
                              (G)MCH Frequency Latch ----------------- : [Auto]
                              System Memory Multiplier --------------- : [2.40B]
                              Memory Frequency (Mhz) -----------------: 1066 1080
                              DRAM Timing Selectable -(SPD)----------- : [Manual]
                              Standard Timing Control
                              CAS Latency Time -------- 5 ------------ : [5]
                              tRCD -------------------- 7 ------------ : [   5]
                              tRP --------------------- 7 ------------ : [   5]
                              tRAS ------------------- 24 ------------ : [  15]
                              Advanced Timing Control    [Press Enter]
                              tRRD -------------------- 4 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tWTR -------------------- 4 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tWR --------------------- 8 -------------: [Auto]
                              tRFC --------------------68 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRTP -------------------- 4 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Command Rate (CMD) ------ 0 -------------: [Auto]
                              Channel A
                              Channel A Timing Settings  [Press Enter]
                              Static tRead Value ------ 8 ------------ : [ 8]
                              tRD Phase0 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase1 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase2 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase3 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Trd2rd(Different Rank) -- 8 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Twr2wr(Different Rank) -- 8 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Twr2rd(Different Rank) -- 7 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) -- 9 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]
                              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]
                              DDR Write Training --------------------- : [Auto]
                              Channel B
                              Channel B Timing Settings  [Press Enter]
                              Static tRead Value ------ 8 ------------ : [ 8]
                              tRD Phase0 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase1 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase2 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              tRD Phase3 Adjustment --- 0 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Trd2rd(Different Rank) -- 8 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Twr2wr(Different Rank) -- 8 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Twr2rd(Different Rank) -- 7 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank) -- 9 ------------ : [Auto]
                              Dimm1 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]
                              Dimm2 Clock Skew Control --------------- : [Auto]
                              DDR Write Training --------------------- : [Auto]
                              Channel A Driving Settings [Press Enter]
                              Driving Strength Profile --------------- : [Auto]
                              Data Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Cmd  Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Ctrl Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Clk  Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Data Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Cmd  Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Ctrl Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Clk  Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Channel B Driving Settings [Press Enter]
                              Driving Strength Profile --------------- : [Auto]
                              Data Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Cmd  Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Ctrl Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Clk  Driving Pull-Up Level ------------- : [Auto]
                              Data Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Cmd  Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Ctrl Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Clk  Driving Pull-Down Level ----------- : [Auto]
                              Motherboard Voltage Control
                              CPU
                              Voltage Types ----------- Normal ---------- Current
                              Load-Line Calibration ------------------ : [Disabled]
                              CPU Vcore --------------- 1.28750V ----- : [1.36250V] 
                              CPU Termination --------- 1.200V* ------ : [1.300V] 
                              CPU PLL ----------------- 1.500V* ------ : [1.590V] 
                              CPU Reference ----------- 0.760V* ------ : [0.863V] 
                              MCH/ICH
                              MCH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [1.300V] 
                              MCH Reference ----------- 0.760V ------- : [0.863V]
                              MCH/DRAM Ref ------------ 0.900V ------- : [Normal]
                              ICH I/O ----------------- 1.500V ------- : [1.500V] 
                              ICH Core ---------------- 1.100V ------- : [1.100V] 
                              DRAM
                              DRAM Voltage ------------ 1.800V ------- : [2.020V] 
                              DRAM Termination -------- 0.900V ------- : [Normal]
                              Channel A Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Normal]
                              Channel B Reference ----- 0.900V ------- : [Normal]
                              Advanced Settings
                              Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ------------------ : [Disabled]
                              No-Execute Memory Protect -------------- : [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ---------------- : [Disabled]
                              C2/C2E State Support ------------------- : [Disabled]
                              x C4/C4E State Support ----------------- : [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ------------ : [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function ---------------------- : [Disabled]
                              Virtualization Technology -------------- : [Disabled] 
                              Integrated Peripherals
                              USB Storage Detect --------------------- : [Disabled]
                              About the VID comment - what I meant was the second Gigabyte Tech did not seem to know that the VID is burned into the CPU by Intel and that is what the default Vcore voltage was in the BIOS. So I guess I was mistaken when for some reason I thought it changed from 1.25V to the 1.28750V based on something I did.

Comment

After your CMOS clear, did you load Optimized settings before applying your bios changes?
                                Did you restore your bios settings from a saved bios profile?

Go into your bios and confirm that following are the same as your bios template:
                                CPU Clock Drive = 800mV
                                PCI Express Clock Drive = 900mV

note: Some of your voltages are too high for 3.6GHz and 450MHz

Comment

Working...
                                X