EX58-UD3R vs EX58-DS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD3R vs EX58-DS4

I keep looking and looking, both have nice reviews but the UD3R is part of the UD3 series with 4 DIMM slots while the DS4 is not part of the UD3 series but has 6 DIMM slots. I have this burning feeling that I feel when I can't make up my mind on something. Hopefully some opinions will help convince me which one to pick.. I plan to go Core i7 at the end of the month.

Re: EX58-UD3R vs EX58-DS4

I suggest spending the extra on the ex58-ud4p, its very close to the ud5/extreme except the extra sata and ethernet ports and different heatsink. If you don't need the additional feature and/or on a tight budget perhaps waiting for p55 boards and lynnfield cpus to come out next month.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
    Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
    3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Antec 1200 Gamer Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

Yes the UD4P is a great board, they used it for the worldwide overclock championships.

$259 here with $20 mail in rebate making it $239
      Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

As for the boards you mention specifically, if it were me I would likely choose the DS4 just for the additional ram slots and features even though it is not part of the Ultra Durable Lineup

I have a P45-DS4P and to me that was much better than any of the P45-UD* models and would make that same choice today as well.

And actually, if you plan on waiting till September you might want to wait a few more weeks into September as Gigabyte will be releasing the revised EX58A boards with the P55 luanch

Comment

This is a question to LSDmeasap and I hope you read it and will take the time to answer me - thanks in advance.

Hey

I have read about the revised X-58 boards and I am thinking about buying a new X-58 UD4P because I think the middle RAM slot has died on me. No matter what I do, I can not boot at all if the middle slot has a RAM stick in it. I can boot with a single in 1st and 5th but not 3rd slot. I can boot with stick in 1st 2nd and 5th in fact in all the slots as long as I have a stick in the 1st and not in the 3rd. I have reaseated the CPU and looked for bent pins but there are none. All this happend when I changed CPU cooler from Scythe Mugen 2 to the Thermalright IFX-14 CPU cooler. Now I have no idea what happend if anything at all. That slot has always been much harder to press in the stick than the others and i think it was just a matter of time before it died.

Anyway I understand that with the revised boards we will be able to raise the PCl above 103? Is that correct and will it apply for the UD4P as well? Would you suggest I got another board instead? Money is no problem when it comes to my hobby and maybe the Extreme is a better option?

Poul

Comment

I'm sure Lsdmeasap will reply to you. He likes to answer everyone's questions.

If you definitely think that a RAM slot is dead, RMA the board to either the supplier if under 12 months old or Gigabyte (RMA-able for 3 years).

I'm sure I heard somethingabout raising PCIe frequency meaning a higher maximum Bclk. Is this why you want an overclockable PCIe lane? If not then ther's not much point in overclocking the PCIE lanes, they're not fully used even by the most powerful of multi GPU cards (even a GTX-295 has loads of headroom).
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Grnkjr0 View Post
            This is a question to LSDmeasap and I hope you read it and will take the time to answer me - thanks in advance.

Hey

I have read about the revised X-58 boards and I am thinking about buying a new X-58 UD4P because I think the middle RAM slot has died on me. No matter what I do, I can not boot at all if the middle slot has a RAM stick in it. I can boot with a single in 1st and 5th but not 3rd slot. I can boot with stick in 1st 2nd and 5th in fact in all the slots as long as I have a stick in the 1st and not in the 3rd. I have reaseated the CPU and looked for bent pins but there are none. All this happend when I changed CPU cooler from Scythe Mugen 2 to the Thermalright IFX-14 CPU cooler. Now I have no idea what happend if anything at all. That slot has always been much harder to press in the stick than the others and i think it was just a matter of time before it died.

Anyway I understand that with the revised boards we will be able to raise the PCl above 103? Is that correct and will it apply for the UD4P as well? Would you suggest I got another board instead? Money is no problem when it comes to my hobby and maybe the Extreme is a better option?

Poul

Are you using the latest BIOS, and did you test all of your sticks in slot 3, not just one? Just wondering if maybe one stick does not like that slot. Can you borrow any other to test with as well?

Can you switch back coolers for testing? Maybe your new one is causing a short somewhere either with the backplate or the cooler itself?

Yes, the PCIE on the revised boards will allow more than 103, the current UD3R rev 1.6 already does. As do all other boards if you do the Hard Mod to them.

Yes, if money is no problems for you I would advise you go ahead and pickup a EX58A when they are released, then go ahead and RMA your other board and sell it when you get it back. Or keep if you like

All the revised boards will have this correction/mod already done, that includes the UD4P of course.

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
            I'm sure Lsdmeasap will reply to you. He likes to answer everyone's questions.

If you definitely think that a RAM slot is dead, RMA the board to either the supplier if under 12 months old or Gigabyte (RMA-able for 3 years).

I'm sure I heard somethingabout raising PCIe frequency meaning a higher maximum Bclk. Is this why you want an overclockable PCIe lane? If not then ther's not much point in overclocking the PCIE lanes, they're not fully used even by the most powerful of multi GPU cards (even a GTX-295 has loads of headroom).
            I try

Yes you heard right, higher PCIE Freq allows the QPI to go over 8GT/s which in turn/directly correlates to higher Blck's. Without this change you cannot go over 8000Gt/s or 222-223 Blck.

Hard mod allows this now on current boards, and the revised ones will all already have the mod done

Comment

Thanks for the information

And yes i tried everything I could think of - also using another set of RAMs to see if that helped - it did not. I have however not tried to reinstall my Mugen 2 heatsink to see if that would change anything. I simply thought that finally that middle slot was faulty because the pressure I needed to use to put a stick in, was more than anything I have ever tried before.

I will check to see if that will help anything. But this cooler i have on now IFX-14 I have reseated once all ready to see if that changed anything and it did not. I have however not tried to remove the backplate and then do it again nor have I tried with the old one. I will do this when I get the time. Thank you for suggesting a solution to the matter.

Poul

Comment

Anytime!

Ya, please do check the backplates removed or test with Intel stock heatsinks. Just to be sure this is not part of the issue.

Comment

After more calculating I think iam going to go for the EX58-UD5, iam going to have more cash than expected, a fair amount more. 6 slots, more power phases, etc. I'am going to skip the 1156 socket.

Comment

UD4P also a great choice, here is some Dry Ice action with my UD4P

Comment

also at this point I'd wait for the x58a to come out in the next couple of weeks and either get one of those or enjoy the price drop on the current models.
                      Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
                      Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
                      Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
                      3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
                      2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
                      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
                      2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
                      WD Caviar Black 1TB
                      Antec 1200 Gamer Case
                      Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

The UD4P is hard to find around here, on Newegg both the UD4P and UD5 are on sale and the UD5 is $3 more hence why iam probably going for it. A local store here has price matching so I get it for a total of $1 less than Newegg without the 2 week wait.

One last obsticle hopefully is the cooler, I heard the Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme blocks one of the RAM slots on the DS4/UD3R/UD4(P)/UD5? I am considering this cooler because its on sale, the performance is good from what reviews show me, and its one of the few thats actually in stock.

Comment

2 week wait? At newegg?

I am not sure about coolers for i7 as I use water myself, but if the one you mention does block a ram slot it would be one you are not using anyway unless you use 12GB because the first slot closest to the CPU is not used with a 6GB Setup

I do think the TRUE is still the better cooler for i7 as well

Comment

Yea around 2 weeks, if I was to buy on Newegg it would be comming out of my bank which takes like 5-7 days, then shipping. TRUE anything is sold out everywhere.. if I have to ill get the 1366 mounting bracket for the Zalman CNPS9700 so I can just throw this one on until I can find a TRUE.

Comment

Ahh, ok! I wondered what you meant as it only takes me 2-3 days to get something from the egg, but I use Paypal

True Usually in stock (All variants) and cheap here, Greg Ships fast too!

$51.95 (1366 Mounting Included) In Stock
                              Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - for Intel Socket 775 & 1366
                              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-25-2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X