Problems with GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6

I received all of my computer parts yesterday (2009-08-12) and proceeded to put it together last night.

Here is a list of the components:
    • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

• MOTHERBOARD:
      • GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

• CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

• PSU:
      • XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S8P4 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

• VIDEO:
      • EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

• MEMORY:
      • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI

Originally I hooked everything up in the case. Once installed and double checked to make sure all the power and connections were connected I powered it on. When powered on the fans/lights in the case turned on and the video card fan started up. The CPU fan didn't start up instantly but eventually started as well. It seemed like everything was turning on correctly, however there was no video. In addition to no video about 5-10seconds after turning it on it powered itself down. Everything turned off but a few seconds later it powered back up again and would continue to do so until I pulled the power from it.

My first thought was maybe something is shorting it. So I unhooked everything and pulled the motherboard out of the case and set it on some cardboard. Connected the PSU, 1 stick of memory in DIMM Slot 1, the video card and the connectors to the case. Fired it up again and the same thing happened, powered on for about 5-10 seconds and shut down.

Next I removed the case connections completely and tried powering it on that way. Again I got no video and the 5-10 seconds of power before it shuts itself down.

Next I removed the video card as well and fired it up. Again it only stayed on for 5-10 seconds before powering down.

Before I go out to purchase more parts to swap them out. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything that I may have missed that could help me fix this.

Re: Problems with GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6

Did you try clearing cmos?
    You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:
    1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
    2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
    3. Replace the battery.
    4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.
    • Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord before replacing the battery.
    • Replace the battery with an equivalent one. Danger of explosion if the battery is replaced with an incorrect model.
    • Contact the place of purchase or local dealer if you are not able to replace the battery by yourself or uncertain about the battery model.
    • When installing the battery, note the orientation of the positive side (+) and the negative side (-) of the battery (the positive side should face up).
    • Used batteries must be handled in accordance with local environmental regulations
    Last edited by artdrivers; 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I'll try resetting the CMOS either at lunch today or when I get home from work.

Outside of resetting the CMOS are there any other suggestions you or anyone else might have?

Comment

Please be sure to check all of your connectors. Use the white wire from the case for the negative side. The speaker negative as black.

By artdrivers at 2009-08-13
        If still no boot remove and inspect the pins on your cpu. Be sure it seats properly.
        Last edited by artdrivers; 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM.
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
        Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
        Logitech G500 USB mouse
        Monitor: CMV937A
        7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
        Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

When the computer go into reboot loop let it try 5-7 times before you shut it off, wait 20-30 seconds and try again.
          Try minimal boot, with only CPU, 1 memory module, video card, and pereferably a PS2 keyboard, after clearing the BIOS as suggested by artdrivers. If still no boot, try the other memory module, then try other slots.
          If you manage to boot, go into BIOS(press the del key) load optimized defaults, save and reboot. If the computer start at first attempt shut it down and try installing the second memory module.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike
            When the computer go into reboot loop let it try 5-7 times before you shut it off, wait 20-30 seconds and try again.
            Try minimal boot, with only CPU, 1 memory module, video card, and pereferably a PS2 keyboard, after clearing the BIOS as suggested by artdrivers. If still no boot, try the other memory module, then try other slots.
            If you manage to boot, go into BIOS(press the del key) load optimized defaults, save and reboot. If the computer start at first attempt shut it down and try installing the second memory module.
            Would USB keyboard with a usb to ps2 converter work as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelW View Post
              I have no idea, would do no harm to try.

Comment

reading post of people with x58 problem with usb kb not working to enter bios after update say that works for them but perfer to us a ps/2 kb
                Main Rig
                Gigabyte z87x-OC
                Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                HiS ATI HD 6950
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Are you sure you don't have bent pins inside your CPU Socket? Just checking.

8 Pin ATX 12V and 24 Pin ATX Connected to the board correct? Just checking

Ya I would clear the CMOS first before anymore testing, Here in my Qflash guide is how I suggest you do that

Aside from that, do you have any other DDR2 to test with? Just in case this kit is not compatible? If not, try to find some el cheapo sticks or borrow one from a friend for testing

What cooler are you using? Some have been known to short the boards out, so if you are not sure give the stock Intel cooler a try

Comment

I ran home today during lunch to try a few things.

I reset the CMOS and it didn't seem to do anything, because when I fired it up again it the same thing happened.

So I decided to shift the memory module from DDR2_1 to DDR2_3. Reset the CMOS again just in case and fired it up. This time I was able to get into the bios. So I am thinking that it might be a problem with DDR2_1.

Tonight I am going to test and see if I am able to put both modules in DDR_2 and DDR_4. If that all works I will start putting the rest of the components back together and hopefully get it up and running.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I will touch back here again after I do some more testing tonight.

Comment

I ran home today during lunch to try a few things.

I reset the CMOS and it didn't seem to do anything, because when I fired it up again it the same thing happened.

So I decided to shift the memory module from DDR2_1 to DDR2_3. Reset the CMOS again just in case and fired it up. This time I was able to get into the bios. So I am thinking that it might be a problem with DDR2_1.

Tonight I am going to test and see if I am able to put both modules in DDR_2 and DDR_4. If that all works I will start putting the rest of the components back together and hopefully get it up and running.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I will touch back here again after I do some more testing tonight.
                      I would also check just to make sure you had it seated put it back into the first slot again to make sure it wont boot if it wont yeah that slot is dead. I beleave you can still do duel channel in slots 2+4. Try one stick in every slot to check the rest then try putting both in slots 2-4.
                      Main Rig
                      Gigabyte z87x-OC
                      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                      HiS ATI HD 6950
                      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                      EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Here is an update.

I tested all the other memory slots and it turns out that only the ddr2_1 slot is bad. So I put the sticks of memory in 2 + 4. Everything booted up correctly. Installed it back into the case connected everything else on it as well and it booted up perfectly fine. Was able to get into the bios and everything.

Is there any other tests to ensure that all the hardware is functioning correctly?

Well outside of that looks like the next step is to work on getting Windows 7 installed now.

Thanks to all of you that helped me out.

Comment

Here is an update.

I tested all the other memory slots and it turns out that only the ddr2_1 slot is bad. So I put the sticks of memory in 2 + 4. Everything booted up correctly. Installed it back into the case connected everything else on it as well and it booted up perfectly fine. Was able to get into the bios and everything.

Is there any other tests to ensure that all the hardware is functioning correctly?

Well outside of that looks like the next step is to work on getting Windows 7 installed now.

Thanks to all of you that helped me out.
                          latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools/

you can run memtest to test ram before or after you install os. have to boot off something either cd,floppy,usb drive... to run test. after os is installed you can run Intel burn test (IBT), LinX, Prime95. They will test system for stability. IBT and LinX will push your cpu harder then prime95. Use realtemp, coretemp or something to monitor temps. Glad to hear all worked out.
                          Main Rig
                          Gigabyte z87x-OC
                          HiS ATI HD 6950
                          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                          EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

I ran with my memory in slots 2 & 4 for several months with no stability or performance issues with my overclocked system.

Your initial problems might have been related to using AUTO on certain bios settings. This post shows recommended manual bios settings for a stock setup, where some bios voltage settings were set using manual values. These settings have eliminated many problems for forum members. The most important thing to do is to load OPTIMIZED bios settings from the main bios screen, save settings and exit, re-enter the bios and then enter all your bios settings.

If you have any further questions or issues, post your bios settings using one of the two available generic bios templates for your mobo, by clicking on the last line in my signature.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Yes you will be fine as profjim says with slots 2+4, but you also need to think about maybe RMA due to faulty slots if you plan to keep that board for any amount of time. Just in case you ever want to use all 4 slots anytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X