Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to determine if its the CPU that fails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine if its the CPU that fails?

Hello everyone

My system is a core i7 920 CO/C1 and I have a Gigabyte UD4P motherboard, with 6 GB ram.

I have a huge problem... my PC will not boot. I bought a Thermalright IFX-14, just to see if I could shave off a couple of degrees while overclocking. I guess somehow something went wrong.

I installed it, despite I did not think that the backplate, bracket and mounting plate were securing it well enough. I was not even able to tighten the spring loaded screws hard enough to avoid any heatsink movement.

But that is not the problem anyway. What I would like to know is how do I determine if my CPU has died on me?

When I power up everything works as supposed except the system does not boot. All fans, motherboard and graphics card lights up and it really sounds like its booting up - but no. I can hear the motherboard beep once and it sounds like it normally does, but my screen reamains blank.

What leads me to think its the CPU that has died, is the fact that if I connect the power connector of the CPU cooler fan to the CPU fan header instead of the system fan, the fan will not run. It will run in the sys_fan but not the CPU_fan. Does that mean it is my CPU that is dead?

I really need some help here...thanks.

Poul

Comment

Re: How to determine if its the CPU that fails?

Hi Grnkjro
      You could be getting a short from the case. We recommend you remove that motherboard from the case/chassis and test the board for POST. Please follow the following simple steps.
      1. Place the motherboard on top of the cardboard box (you can use the motherboard box)
      2. Install the CPU, CPU fan, Memory, Power supply plugs (plug the 1 X 20 pin and 1 X 4 or 2 X 8 pin from the power supply unit) and a video card.
      3. Hook the monitor to the video card and be sure the monitor is switched on.
      4. Turn on the system board by using the case "Power on" switch.
      If the system fails to POST, check the components' insertion again to ensure they are all connected properly.
      Last edited by artdrivers; 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM.
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
      http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
      Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
      Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
      Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
      4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
      (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
      (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
      (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
      Mid size ATX case with show through panel
      2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
      Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
      Logitech G500 USB mouse
      Monitor: CMV937A
      7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
      Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

I solved the problem.

It turned out that because I had reinstalled everything I needed to remove 2 sticks of RAM and have it boot up using only one modul.

I think it was something similar when I first build the system.

A lot of people will surely be sending back things if they run into a similar problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.. it is always nice to know that people in here will be there when your in need.

Poul

Comment

If you encounter the issue again, a CMOS clear may help. When you removed two sticks of RAM, the board was forced to amend it's details for installed components. Clearing the CMOS will force a cpmplete re-detection.

Glad you got it sorted out. I was about to suggest the exact same steps as artdrivers, with the addition of seperating the HSF back plate from the back of the board with a piece of paper (with holes where the screws hold HSF to bracket).
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Sadly enough I am only able to use 1 stick of RAM in the 1st slot. It will not boot with 2 or 3 sticks - strange.

I know that I need to clear CMOS when I installed this - that is not the issue here. It actually does it on its own when it runs for like 30 sec if I set everything in BIOS as supposed and then shut down and install the other 2 sticks.

Perhaps something really is bend in my CPU - that prevents me from running 3 sticks - has that been heard of before?

Removing battery and trying other RAM sticks does not help any.

Poul

Comment

Hey again

Now I know something strange is going on, because right now I am running triple channel with 3 stick but not in the right slots.

1st stick is in the first white slot (DDR3_1)
              2nd stick in the blue slot (DDR3_4)
              3rd stick in the blue slot (DDR3_6)

Now what has happend here - any suggestions?

Poul

Comment

Working...
              X