GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

To be honest, you haven't really purchased a tweakers board. You'd get the same problems, lack of options etc buying any mainstream board.

For guaranteed success (almost) with tweaking and overclocking you need to buy a more enthusiast oriented board. For instance shooting for say 4.2GHz with an E8400 on a P43 based board would be unlikely to work (not impossible ) due to missing adjustment options and the fact that Intel themselves bin the more mainstream spec chipsets lower.

If you intend to tweak, then an EP45-Ud3 series, EP45-Extreme or an X48 board is recommended. Anything else and it's down to luck as to how good an overclocker it may be. Some get great clocks on mid end boards, and others don't. The EP45-UD3P for instance is holding its own against many ultra high end X48 boards costing more than double the price. There are other high-mid end, decently priced boards that are also great clockers such as Biostar's TPower I45 which along with the UD3P, has been seen to reach in excess of 600 FSB with a golden CPU.

I'm not saying Gigabyte is perfect, and you should definitely always buy that brand. The best way is always to buy the best board you can that fits your overclocking needs and fits your budget. It was pure chance that I purchased my board. I just researched on xtreme systems, anandtech etc and was really impressed with it. Before I bought this, my only experience with Gigabyte was when their products weren't as good. They'd often be refered to in forums as "Gigash1te" for this reason. Glad I went ahead and got the board though. It takes any CPU I throw at it to a whole new level.

Looking forward to seeing you around on the forum.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Re: GA-P35-S3G...Running into OCing issues...really need some help here

Well honestly when i bought this board, OCing was a consideration, but not a definite. I just looked at all the people on newegg that claimed it was an easy OCer and they were gettin some good numbers, so I figured i was alright if i decided to startin tweakin in the future.

Dont mean to bag on Gigabyte boards in a Gigabyte forum...hell, this is the first one i've ever owned lol, so i dont have room to talk. Again, wenever tweaking any piece of equipment past OEM rated specs, problems are almost inevitable, I just didnt expect to run into this mess lol. but watevr, its figured out now, i'm stable at 3ghz and i'll probably just keep it there for a bit.
      Antec 900 (Custom Metallic Red Paint)
      Antec 850W PSU
      Q6600 Kentsfield G0 OCed to 3.2GHz
      Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink
      Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
      WD 150GB 10,000RPM VelociRaptor HD
      WD 80GB SATA HD
      4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
      ATI HD4850
      Creative SB Audigy 2
      Dualing Windows 7 + XP x64

Comment