Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Tune 6 CIA2, thoughts and help appreciated! Esp. LSD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Tune 6 CIA2, thoughts and help appreciated! Esp. LSD!

First off, I am completley new to Gigabyte, and would like to express my joy and gratitude to Gigabyte and everyone here!

I have been having great fun tuning this board for quite some time now and have learned many new things reading this forum. Thanks to everyones informative and useful posts, especially all admin and moderators!

I have found my max OC with my components individually, and am now working on getting the excellent C.I.A. 2 program fully maxed out. So my PC idles at default settings, yet overclocks automatically, seemingly better than humanly possible. I have read here posted by Lsdmeasap, how overclocking should be done manually and not with this program.
    I think the CIA2 idea is excellent and can't wait to see this program mature. Please LSD, or anyone, feel free to input any ideas or comments.

I am now starting to wonder if maybe this program is unwise since I have been receiving conflicting information from CPU-Z and Easy Tune 6 (ET6). While getting the Full Thrust option to successfully work with my PC. I started to notice momentary, insane FSB speeds. And up to 45GHz reported by ET6 CPU. Thats correct, 45000.00MHz! Of course it cannot be possible so I assume ET6 is incorrect, however majority of the time it appears to work perfectly. It only seems to act up when fully loading the PC (I use Prime 95) and running other programs at the same time. CPU-Z reports almost constant Max Speed of 3891CPU, 409 FSB, 409 DRAM.

Sorry for the extremely long post, however I feel this program deserves it's own sticky, since it is such a great way for everyone to overclock their PC while still enabeling all halt states, stock idle speeds, and original OEM energy saving features.

Now a little about my CIA2 Full Throttle overclocking settings:

All BIOS Energy saving features Enabled, and Dynamic Energy saver
    ET6 reports: (Fluctuates rapidly)
    CPU: 3910MHz
    BUS: 411MHz
    FSB: 1644MHz

Goes up to 4199MHZ, 5320MHz, etc. while I type this and stress test!

Please, please, let this program be working!

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    Last edited by Phisherman; 07-28-2009, 10:23 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR BIOS F5
    Intel E8500 E0 w/ GeminII S Air cooled & Delta PWM 120mm
    Kingston KHX1066 / 4G 2x2GB 5-5-5-15 KHX8500D2K2/4G
    http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp
    WD Raptor 740ADFD (Raptor) & WD Blue 500GB
    BFG GTS250OC 1GB / Samsung T260HD
    Antec Basiq 500W
    Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II
    Vista Premium 64bit SP2 / Win 7 RC

Re: Easy Tune 6 CIA2, thoughts and help appreciated! Esp. LSD!

Not real sure about Easy Tuner and CIA2 and all that. Basically I stay right away from stuff like that for the reasons that are floating around, and cause LSD said so. You should not be using CIA2 as from what I understand it will Overvolt your CPU Automagically which is not going to be good. If you insist on using it (which you should) then keep a super clock eye on your vcore and temps. Overclocking should be done from the MIT section in your BIOS. If you leave on EIST and the other thing that I keep forgetting it will throttle your CPU down a bit when not under load. Thats good enough for me. Im Sure when others reply they will say something similar
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Thanks for the input, good advice!

I had to set vcore to 1.3V for stable full thrust. Never seen it go higher than that.

Here is a pic of what I mean. Should I believe ET6 or CPU-Z?
      Attached Files
      Antec Basiq 500W
      Cooler Master Scout case w/ 3 x 140mm Kaze Maru, & 1 x 120mm Thermaltake Smart fan II

Comment

Yeah Im pretty sure your CPU isnt running @ 5.2Ghz. I would trust CPU-Z as Real temp also agree's with it. What did you set your FSB to?? You should really just set your overclock setting in the BIOS under the MIT Screen. Its much better. DISABLE CIA2

P.S Unless you have a magic CPU there's no way on the planet you would get 5.2Ghz out of it (at all) with 1.232vcore as per Easyloon
        Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
        Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
        Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
        Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
        Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
        G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
        2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
        Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
        2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
        Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
        Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
        ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
        Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
        Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
        Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
        NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
        1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
        Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Originally posted by NimrodAUS View Post
          What did you set your FSB to?? You should really just set your overclock setting in the BIOS under the MIT Screen. Its much better. DISABLE CIA2

P.S Unless you have a magic CPU there's no way on the planet you would get 5.2Ghz out of it (at all) with 1.232vcore as per Easyloon
          It seems you do not understand CIA2. The FSB is set to defaults/auto and is dynamically adjusted depending on load by CIA2. ENABLE CIA2 Save the planet!
          Antec Basiq 500W

Comment

Here are screenshots from idle, and under load.
            Attached Files
            Antec Basiq 500W

Comment

Originally posted by Phisherman View Post
              I have found my max OC with my components individually, and am now working on getting the excellent C.I.A. 2 program fully maxed out. So my PC idles at default settings, yet overclocks automatically, seemingly better than humanly possible
              You will have to define "better than humanly possible."
              For example, my CPU does 22.599GFlops(1624MB) at 3.4GHz with IBT2.2 and it has half cache than yours.

One thing I have noticed when I was trying to find my FSB limit was that I could get 425FSB by raising FSB and voltage with EasyTune, but when entered those values in BIOS I could not boot. So CIA2 may have an atvantage in this aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                You will have to define "better than humanly possible."
                For example, my CPU does 22.599GFlops(1624MB) at 3.4GHz with IBT2.2 and it has half cache than yours.

One thing I have noticed when I was trying to find my FSB limit was that I could get 425FSB by raising FSB and voltage with EasyTune, but when entered those values in BIOS I could not boot. So CIA2 may have an atvantage in this aspect.
                Not sure about Gflops, I am a noob in that department. By better than humanly possible I mean in my first post where I mention ET6 showed me up to 45GHz CPU speed. Thats correct, 45000.00MHz! Only adjustments I have made are in BIOS and I am not using ET6 other than to monitor.

Feel free to fill me in about Gflops. I am sure I can tune this more and have really just started. Upon deciphering your post I ran IBT v.2.3 and improved my Gflops by not using my PC while running. 20.4758Gflops @ (1624MB)

Thank you!
                Antec Basiq 500W

Comment

Not sure about Gflops, I am a noob in that department. By better than humanly possible I mean in my first post where I mention ET6 showed me up to 45GHz CPU speed. Thats correct, 45000.00MHz! Only adjustments I have made are in BIOS and I am not using ET6 other than to monitor.

Feel free to fill me in about Gflops. I am sure I can tune this more and have really just started. Upon deciphering your post I ran IBT v.2.3 and improved my Gflops by not using my PC while running. 20.4758Gflops @ (1624MB)

Thank you!
                  Flops, floating point operations, are are one way to measure computing powr. Giga (mega, tera peta etc.) flops per second represent the amount of floating point operations can be doe by the computer.
                  Of course different benchmarks may show gain where other show loss and vice versa.

CPU speed, or CPU frequency, does not mean anything other than CPU speed. Do you care if your cengine can do 9000rpm but cannot go over 50mph?

Yes using your OC when benchmarking will get lower results, quiting unnesessary backround applications may also lead to higher results.

Comment

Thanks for all the infoe Chike!

I also noticed your ram is running much faster than mine which is probably affecting performance.

I have not finished tuning my ram since it is brand new. Was unsuccessful getting 2 sets of Corsair 8500C5C to run at specs.
                    Antec Basiq 500W

Comment

CIA2 isn't such a great tool IMO. Sure it alters how much your CPU is overclocked by depending on load, but the power saving is nothing like as much as EIST (Speed Step) And C1E give.

The problem with CIA2 is that with settings like CPU Vcore, PLL and CPU Term on auto (which is almost certain if anyone is using CIA2), you could be using MORE power at minimum acceleration than if you were to set the maximum speed manually in the BIOS with correct voltages. As you are using a manual Vcore, have you set CPU term and PLL manually too? Again, correctly tuning these can lead to a drop in Vcore needed.

I commend your efforts to save the planet. I have EIST and C1E enabled, I turn the PC off when not in use and off at the wall at night. I also turn off the monitor manually rather than use a screen saver. My overclock uses the minimum vltage needed to be stable with the tests I have used and not a millivolt more. However if CIA2 is severely over volting your PLL and CPU Termination, you do more harm to the envoronment, as you'll be throwing away a CPU and buying a new one.

To get the best possible performance and virtually identical power saings, post a screenshot of the advanced voltages tab on easytune. As long as nothing is too heavily volted, setting these in the BIOS along with the FSB you desire is always better than using dynamic OC utilities. Also Linpack testing on its own isn't enough to verify stability. try an over night (preferably 12 hour +) run of Prime 95 on Large FFT or OCCT Large Data Set. I can be Linpack stable (50 runs) on known unstable settings. Unstable as in I can't even unzip a file without getting corruption errors.

The only hastle free OC I'd recommend is buying a pre-overclocked motherboard, CPU and RAM bundle. This way, someone has stability tested the whole package for you and made sure that it's stable on the minimum amount of voltage all round.

**Edit: GFlops shown in IBT are a measure of CPU speed. Unlike your engine analogy, where as you say, 9000 RPM is pointless at 50 MPH, IBT is similar to super PI in that the faster the CPU the more GFlops is indicated, as the data set completes faster.
                      Last edited by Psycho101; 07-19-2009, 04:32 PM.
                      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                        **Edit: GFlops shown in IBT are a measure of CPU speed. Unlike your engine analogy, where as you say, 9000 RPM is pointless at 50 MPH, IBT is similar to super PI in that the faster the CPU the more GFlops is indicated, as the data set completes faster.
                        My RPM analogy was to CPU frequency not GFlops. And that's the point exatly.
                        If your CPU does more GFflops or runs SuperPI in less time than mine, then it is indeed faster, at least for that job, if it just show clock speed greater then mine it means it has a greater clock speed not that it is faster.

Comment

I see what you mean now. Yes, you can have someone with a higher CPU speed be slower than you ofc. You could off set performance via a faster FSB and RAM timings/speed. After a certain ammount though, it's likely no tweaks and RAM FSB speeds can compensate for an increase in CPU speed.

If RPM of an engine as you put it, represents CPU speed, then the effectiveness/speed of the system over all could be like engine torque. A really fast reving engine may have nice straight line speed and acceleration, but may struggle going up hill or towing something, where as better torque would eliminate this.
                          Last edited by Psycho101; 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM.
                          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

If RPM of an engine as you put it, represents CPU speed, then the effectiveness/speed of the system over all could be like engine torque. A really fast reving engine may have nice straight line speed and acceleration, but may struggle going up hill or towing something, where as better torque would eliminate this.
                            I agree completley, and feel this is often overlooked in the auto and electronics industries. I need to increase my knowledge immensley since my last Motherboard was a Abit P-35E. I noticed a great deal has changed in the BIOS's and would love some help tuning things.

CIA2 isn't such a great tool IMO. Sure it alters how much your CPU is overclocked by depending on load, but the power saving is nothing like as much as EIST (Speed Step) And C1E give.
                            However, I have EIST and C1E enabled. And I figure overclocking only when needed is the best option. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I still have much to learn about CPU Vcore, PLL and CPU Term. And I would greatly appreciate any insights in this or any other matter.

I will post voltages soon as I'm on my laptop at the moment.

Thanks Psycho101!

note: Prime95 blend stable for around 4 hours, will try Prime95 suggested settings tonight.
                            Last edited by Phisherman; 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM.
                            Antec Basiq 500W

Comment

I also noticed your ram is running much faster than mine which is probably affecting performance.
                              Again we need to define faster.
                              Your memory is clocked at 533MHz while mine is clocked at 400GHz, who is faster?
                              Note: I am using memory clock frequency, not DDR rate.

I am assuming you were reffering to my memory timings. It is true they do seem lower than yours, but what do they realy mean?
                              The timings set the number of clock cycles it takes to certain operation of the memory to complete. To see how long they take we need to convert them to time, just the opposit from what the BIOS does (I'll get to that later)
                              Lets take tRAS as the example.
                              Your mamory tRAS is 15 at 533MHz that mean is takes 15/533,000,000 = 0.000,000,02814 = 28.14ns to complete.
                              My memory tRAS is 12 at 400MHz, 12/400,000,000 = 0.000,000,03 = 30ns.
                              Again, who's memory is faster? Plus you get double my bandwidth (in theory, with this architerture you get just more)

If you would look at your memory SPD EPP profile , if you have it, with SPDTool, you will probably see the same values or close to mine as shown in the image below. The BIOS read the time values from the SPD profile and convert them to the cycles needed for the selected memory frequency, when left on auto.

The bottom line is, your hardwar is better than mine and would out prform it at the same FSB frequecy, let alone when properly overclocked, if CIA2 doesn't, than it does not overclock better than humanly possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X