Seems Like Mem Slots 1 & 3 Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems Like Mem Slots 1 & 3 Failed

My computer keeps on failing MemTest when I use slots 1 & 3 so I decided to move my RAM to slots 2 & 4. After using slots 3 & 4, my computer has passed the MemTest. I am wondering what could cause my RAM to fail the MemTest in slots 2 & 4.

Specs:
    E8400
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
    OCZ 2 X 2GB DDR2
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Corsair TX750

BIOS:
    Award Software International, Inc. F3, 28/05/2008
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L F10 BIOS
    E8400 @ 3Ghz
    OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Corsair TX750

Re: Seems Like Mem Slots 1 & 3 Failed

You may have a faulty motherboard. It's possible that the slots themselves, or indeed any other component on the memory sub-system is faulty.

To trouble shoot further, you may want to try using a single stick and test all 4 slots one by one. You could find that slots 1 and 3 are OK when used individually but fail in dual channel. You could also find that one or both slots fail individually. the latter definitely confirms a hardware fault, and the first is 99.9% sure to indicate the same.

As always, check that there is no dust etc in slots 1 & 3. Also try fully inserting and removing the modules 3-4 times. This should clean any contaminates off the socket contacts if they were soiled in any way. Use a soft brush, compressed air or simply blow in the RAM sockets. Don't use a vacuum cleaner as the suction has been known to generate static (so I've been told), and be careful if using plastic bristled brushes as these too can generate static. A Horse hair paintbrush is an ideal motherboard cleaner, avainable from an arts and crafts shop.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Earlier today I tested my memory slots individually with a single stick of RAM. All four of my memory slots passed MemTest. However, once I use slots 1 and 3, MemTest fails. I also did clean our my memory slots with compressed air.

Is it safe to conclude that there is something wrong with my motherboard? Is there some sort of software to confirm this?
      E8400 @ 3Ghz
      OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
      EVGA 9800GX2
      Corsair TX750

Comment

There's nothing you can run to diagnose the slots themselves without modules in them. With modules installed it will merely test the RAm's functionality. If it were possible to boot with 1&3 populated, you could test, but as it's a no go and the RA functions in the other slots I'd say it's time to RMA unfortunately.

You could always RMA the RAM as well as the board to 100% eliminate any problems, but if it works in the other slots I'd say it's fine.
        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
        2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
        3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

It could also always just be incorrect settings, especially since all slots are passing when tested one by one.

I'd advise you to first update the BIOS to the latest and see if things are better. If they are not you should ask us for some settings to try before thinking about RMA'n the board

Comment

I have updated my BIOS and ran MemTest. Slots 1 & 3 passed twice. I am curious as to how updating my BIOS will help fix my MemTest problem. In addition, I am wondering what is the proper configuration I should have in my BIOS? I have left everything default except:

Load from my DVD-ROM first
            Changed my RAM voltage to 2.1 (to match RAM manufacturer specifications)
            Have an alarm when CPU temperature reaches 70*C
            E8400 @ 3Ghz
            OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
            EVGA 9800GX2
            Corsair TX750

Comment

Originally posted by icu222much View Post
              I have updated my BIOS and ran MemTest. Slots 1 & 3 passed twice. I am curious as to how updating my BIOS will help fix my MemTest problem. In addition, I am wondering what is the proper configuration I should have in my BIOS? I have left everything default except:

Load from my DVD-ROM first
              Changed my RAM voltage to 2.1 (to match RAM manufacturer specifications)
              Have an alarm when CPU temperature reaches 70*C
              What is giving you the alarm? If it's EeasyTune that's very very bad, if not what software does it or is it the BIOS? Is it at idle or under load?

When you say all left on default, do you mean you load optimized defaults after flash or you just left them as they were?

Post your BIOS settings and maybe if your computer don't heat too much when doing it post a screen capture as explained in this post.

P.S. If you seek help it is reccomended that you have your system spec in your signature otherwise no one knows what it is all about.
              Last edited by Chike; 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM. Reason: P.S.

Comment

I can't say for certain, but I think icu222much is saying that he has set a custom alarm for a 70c CPU temp, not that he's having the alarm go off.

Posting a full BIOS template is an excellent idea. I can't find one for the EP45-DS3L, so you may have to make one yourself and fill it in, unless anyone else has one they've already done, and can post it for you.
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

[QUOTE=Psycho101;308136]I can't say for certain, but I think icu222much is saying that he has set a custom alarm for a 70c CPU temp, not that he's having the alarm go off.[QUOTE]
                  Oh right, the alarm settings in BIOS, still a bit too high for my taste, I'd set it 65 or below. I have ~60c CPU temp when RealTemp shows 70c.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                    I can't find one for the EP45-DS3L
                    Looks pretty much the same as other P45 boards by looking at the manual, less DRAM/Channel Reference.

Comment

I have attached a screenshot of my BIOS settings. I couldn't find the software they used to read their temps so I just used SpeedFan. I hope that is OK.

When I said alarm, I meant that I had set up a custom alarm to warn me if my CPU temps hit 70*C. Usually, I'd be much more comfortable at 60*C or 65*c, but since it is summer my room heats up a lot. When my computer is on full load, I easily hit 65*C.

When I said I left my BIOS settings on default, I mean that I didn't change anything. When I went to take a look at my BIOS settings, it seems like when I updated my BIOS, the settings automatically retested to some sort of predetermined state. That is why I had to change the following three things in my BIOS:
                      • Load from my DVD-ROM first (to perform MemTest)
                      • Change my RAM voltage to 2.1 (to match RAM manufacturer specifications)
                      • Have an alarm when CPU temperature reaches 70*C
                      Attached Files
                      E8400 @ 3Ghz
                      OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
                      EVGA 9800GX2
                      Corsair TX750

Comment

I have attached a screenshot of my BIOS settings. I couldn't find the software they used to read their temps so I just used SpeedFan. I hope that is OK.
                        You can find all the programs in Latest Overclocking Programs, System Info, Benchmarking, & Stability Tools
                        SpeedFan is quite ok but I don't see the CPU temps there and core temp not always show the right value and may need to be adjusted. I can't tell what is your sustem temp either.

Originally posted by icu222much
                        When I said alarm, I meant that I had set up a custom alarm to warn me if my CPU temps hit 70*C. Usually, I'd be much more comfortable at 60*C or 65*c, but since it is summer my room heats up a lot. When my computer is on full load, I easily hit 65*C.
                        65c moyherboareed reading CPU yemp is *very* high, 70c is about as much your CPU can take, that's it's max temp, above that it will start limit itself. Something must be done with your temps, I don't thinl they should be so high even with stock HS. What room temperature do you have?

Originally posted by icu222much
                        When I said I left my BIOS settings on default, I mean that I didn't change anything. When I went to take a look at my BIOS settings, it seems like when I updated my BIOS, the settings automatically retested to some sort of predetermined state. That is why I had to change the following three things in my BIOS
                        Yes I understand, I wasn't reading it right the first time.
                        After updating BIOS you shoukd have load optimized defaults, if not then load optimized defaults and reapply your 3 changes.

Do you still have the problem with slots 1 & 3? You decided to keep the board using slots 2 & 4?

Comment

Which program do you suggest me to use to monitor my temps? I tried using RealTemp and RealTemp showed that my CPU is several degrees cooler then SpeedFan.

Last night when I took the screenshots, the room temperature was around 24*C. My processor at idle was 49*C. Again, my processor temperature reading is based from SpeedFan, which seems to be inaccurate.

I will optimize my BIOS and then reapply my three changes. At the moment I am using memory slots 1 & 3. I also ran MemTest for 7 hours and it passed.
                          E8400 @ 3Ghz
                          OCZ 2 X 2Gb DDR2 1066
                          EVGA 9800GX2
                          Corsair TX750

Comment

Which program do you suggest me to use to monitor my temps? I tried using RealTemp and RealTemp showed that my CPU is several degrees cooler then SpeedFan
                            RealTemp and CoreTemp both show the same temperature and use 100c TJmax which is right to my CPU. SpeedFan shows 5c more and I think it uses 105c TJmax, it can be shifted in advance pereferences.

I use both, SpeenFan for fan and voltage monitoring and RealTemp for core temps.

Comment

Hi icu222much Could you try downloading hardware monitor and post results here? Click on it here----> CPUID
                              CPUID is really a Hardware monitor which will post most of your voltages in Windows.
                              I am looking at your Speedfan voltage you posted, and they look like they are off. You should compare them with another program to see if it is Speedfan or something else.
                              The CPUID Hardware monitor gives you a display like this---->

By artdrivers at 2009-06-24
                              Last edited by artdrivers; 07-18-2009, 07:25 PM.
                              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                              Logitech G500 USB mouse
                              Monitor: CMV937A
                              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Working...
                              X