No announcement yet.

Utter Confusion about Voltage!!! Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utter Confusion about Voltage!!! Help.

I am trying to understand the Vcore voltage situation with my system. If I leave it on Auto, HWMonitor and OCCT report an idle voltage of 1.31V. My CPU is OC'd to 3.0Ghz (Q6600).
    I set the voltage manually to 1.35V, but then HWMonitor and OCCT report a voltage of 1.28V idle and 1.25V under load. I ran Orthos for 8 hours and all passed. The temps are 31-40C idle, 50-55C under load as reported by Coretemp (OCCT and HWMonitor report different numbers for some reason, higher numbers).
    Why does the voltage drop like that? I plan on lowering the voltage some more like 1.34375V or maybe even lower to see if I it'll run stable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
    Rob
    http://www.robertocerini.com
    i7 920 @ 3.40GHz
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    Antec P180 Case
    Antec True Power PSU (650w)

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Re: Utter Confusion about Voltage!!! Help.

Originally posted by tazmanfrom View Post
    The temps are 31-40C idle, 50-55C under load as reported by Coretemp (OCCT and HWMonitor report different numbers for some reason, higher numbers).
    Rob
    I wonder about this myself. OCCT, CoreTemp, and RealTemp show the same temperatures to me, but SpeedFan shows higher temps.

According to the tables in this article depending on your CPU stepping it's Tjmax may be 80c or 90c. What does Coretemp show for Tjmax, and does it match the table?

Maybe some of those software use constant Tjmax?

Comment

Mine shows 80C. But I'm still confused!!!
      Rob
      i7 920 @ 3.40GHz
      ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
      Antec P180 Case

Comment

And does 80c match the value for your CPU stepping in that table?

The value read from the DTS is not absolute temerature, it is the distance from Tjmax, so if software substract (or add, whichever it is) the value it read from the DTS from a wrong Tjmax value, the result will be bogus.

Comment

yes, it does match the table
          Rob
          i7 920 @ 3.40GHz
          ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
          Antec P180 Case

Comment

Have you tried Realtemp, where the author has created better reporting accuracy from real word testing as the chips we are talking about never were designed to give accurate temperature reporting.
            They simply give a count down to Tjmax and become far more accurate as they near that specified value. Reason being, as far as Intel are concerned Cpu protection/reliability is their key priority, so that the chip can be "shutdown" (so to speak) if its temperatures reach damaging levels. So all in all, their focus is on temperature monitoring at the high end of the spectrum, where it matters to them as a manufacturer, not to the consumer across the whole temperature range.

As far as I'm aware OCCT and HWMonitor use the same SDK, so their results will be the same and also shouldn't be used together.

Explanation (RealTemp):-
            Real Temp - Documentation

Download (RealTemp):-
            techPowerUp! :: Download Real Temp 3.00

Why does the voltage drop like that?
            Are you asking about general volt drop, which happens with anything in electronics when there is a load and a resistance, or about why Auto in the bios sets your voltages higher? Or why the voltages you set in the bios manually are reported differently either on the bios PCHealth screen or in windows with hwmonitor/cpuz etc?
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

On tazmanzs original post :
              It would seem with your cpu V on auto 1.36V is being applied .
              I dont know your bios ..does it have a load line calibration setting?.

The voltage applied when the pc has booted will be less than what is entered in the bios.
              It may drop further under load .
              Check out Vdroop on google etc.
              Your memory voltage will probably drop slightly lower than what is set in bios also.

I find all my monitoring utilities read the same values for the main main voltages and temperatures.

It all depends if they are up to date or not.They are merely reading the mbrd sensors anyway.
              I had an older version of core temp which didnt read my cpu properly ,but Ive changed that since.
              The minimum voltage your cpu requires to run may vary.
              speedfan/coretemp/cpu-z/realtemp/everest all read approximately the same the 12v supply monitoring isnt accurate,but thats a known problem.
              Actually check out some of the screenshots in this thread.

Last edited by kick; 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
              X