X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP35-DS3L Overclocking Problem

EP35-DS3L F5c BIOS
    E8400

Can't get any clock raises to stick. My voltage goes wherever I want it, but the FSB clock just doesn't change. I've tried clearing CMOS and flashing different BIOS to help fix the issue, but nothing works.
    I had this rig running @ 4.00ghz (445x9) for nearly a year now and then all of a sudden after it had been shut down for a while I booted back up to 333x9 and it would no longer take my overclock.
    Contacted Gigabyte's official tech support, but that hasn't helped one bit. Hoping other people have a fix to this.

Re: GA-EP35-DS3L Overclocking Problem

When you flash you BIOS are you doing it properly? Load optimized and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and then make changes? If you are not doing that, it could be part of the issue.

Have you tried with Legacy USB Storage Detect Disabled?

Are you fully and properly clearing the CMOS? If you are not sure, try the method I outline in post #2 here

Tried F6?
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP35-DS3L

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      When you flash you BIOS are you doing it properly? Load optimized and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and then make changes? If you are not doing that, it could be part of the issue.
      Yes, QFlash then load optimized defaults then reboot.

Have you tried with Legacy USB Storage Detect Disabled?
      Yes.

Are you fully and properly clearing the CMOS? If you are not sure, try the method I outline in post #2 here
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
      Yep using jumper and clearing makes no difference.

I've tried F5, F6, and F5c. No luck. My biggest annoyance is that I was running fine overclocked for a whole year, and now it doesn't want to even try working.

Comment

Hmm, very odd. I would go ahead and try reseating the CPU and see if that helps any, it has been known to help

Comment

No improvements. And there's no point of getting an RMA on the mobo because Gigabyte will only test whether or not it's working at default settings.

I'm not the only one with these types of problems either.
          A forum community dedicated to overclocking enthusiasts and testing the limits of computing. Come join the discussion about computing, builds, collections, displays, models, styles, scales, specifications, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

I don't want to start a rummor just need the facts. The GA-P35-DS3L is a great MB. I understand that it has now been discontinued and replaced by GA-EP35-DS3L. What I am concerned with is that reports indicate the DES, (Dynamic Energy Saver), can not be disabled thus limiting the CPU voltage...

A bunch of other threads in this forum also complain about BIOS issues with overclocking on this board.

I switched to Gigabyte for this latest build because it was cheap and I had heard good things about it. That was a mistake on my part, and if I had looked a little harder I would have found all these complaints about it. Gonna go back to ASUS motherboards for my nehalem rig- They actually work like they're supposed to.
          Last edited by Kraldor; 06-24-2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Generalising that Gigabyte boards don't work as they should is simply wrong.

If your board has been working fine with an overclock until recently, then something has changed.

Does the Realtime Clock still keep good time? Do other settings you change fail to stick on re-boot? If so, or even if not, maybe the CMOS battery is bad/dead. Swap it out if you have a spare or try obtaining another. A long term power off followed by not being able to save settings cretainly points to the battery.
            Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
              Generalising that Gigabyte boards don't work as they should is simply wrong.

If your board has been working fine with an overclock until recently, then something has changed.

Does the Realtime Clock still keep good time? Do other settings you change fail to stick on re-boot? If so, or even if not, maybe the CMOS battery is bad/dead. Swap it out if you have a spare or try obtaining another. A long term power off followed by not being able to save settings cretainly points to the battery.
              I can save every single setting, and my real time clock stays accurate. My voltage goes where I set it, but my FSB clocks just don't take effect. I'll set it to, let's say, 400mhz, save it and reboot. I'll POST with it still at the default 333mhz and when I go into the BIOS it still says 400mhz for the setting. It's not a CMOS issue since the setting is saved. The mobo just doesn't put the setting into effect for some reason.

Comment

Hi, did you ever manage to fix this issue??
                I am having exactly the same kind of problem, the MB was overclocking fine up to a week ago, then all of a sudden it just reverted back to the "standard" settings, no matter what I eneter in MIT it just ignores it, it does't even RESET the MIT setting as it shuld do in case of failed overcloking, it just ignores it. I have tried Flashing to a previous version of the BIOS, resetting teh CMOS, taking out the battery, the only thing left to try is to un-plug memory sticks and processor and see it that re-sets some "internal" settings for the motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraldor View Post
                  Gonna go back to ASUS motherboards for my nehalem rig- They actually work like they're supposed to.
                  I could tell different stories. The reason I have a GIGABYTE board now is that my ASUS P35 would not overclock (vcore only option was auto) and their tech didn't seem to be caring much about it.
                  As Psycho101 sais, you can't generalise.
                  I reacall someone with the same problem, don't remember if it was P35 or X48 board that was resolved after properly clearing the CMOS.

Comment

ok, thanks for the tip, I'll look on the procedure on how to "properly" clear the CMOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X