• GA-EP45-UD3P - No power to video card

I just put together a rig with the follow specs:

E8400 3.0Ghz Wolfdale
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R MB
    4GB G.SKILL Dual Channel DDR2 1066 (PC8500) RAM
    1TB WD Caviar Black
    EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU

When I first turned the power on, neither the cpu fan or video card fan were spinning, and I got no signal to my monitor. I've since tried the following:

1. Swapped in the exact same video card from another rig I built a few days ago that I know is working and had the same problem. Neither cpu or video card fans were spinning.

2. Tried a different set of PCI-E power cables from the PSU. No luck.

3. Unplugged the power cables to the video card. When I did this the cpu fan started spinning.

Right now I'm thinking it's either a MB or PSU issue. Although it seems like the board is competing with the video card for power, I'm leaning more toward the MB being the problem simply because 750W should be more than enough juice to power a rig with these specs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed; or any other tests I can run to diagnose the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P - No power to video card

Can you try a different PSU? It is possible that you have a faulty unit reguardless of brand/wattage.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Give clearing the CMOS a try. Short the two pins above the case button cluster with a metal object and try and boot again.

Corsair is an excellent brand as PSU's go, but it could be faulty.

Try a spare PSU first, and if that doesn't work, assemble the PC out of the case. It may well be a short between case and board causing the issue. If it still doesn't start, I'd swap out components one at a time, starting with the GPU, then RAM, then CPU if you have a spare available. The UD3R will accept any socket 775 CPU including older Pentium 4 and Celeron models.

If you assembled the PC without taking anti-static precautions it's possible you may have inadvertantly killed a component. This is easily done. CPU's RAM and GFX cards are static sensative, as is the motherboard itself. I've personally killed an old Pentium 1 TX board by cleaning it with a nylon brush.
      Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
      Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
      Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
      TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
      2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
      Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
      Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
      WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
      Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
      Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
      Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Clearing the CMOS worked! No idea why...but thanks for the tip :).

Comment

Nice to see you got it going, post back anytime if you need further help

Comment

Working...
          X