First build: very basic questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First build: very basic questions

The large fan on the bottom of the PSU is an intake not an output fan. It's better the fan faces upward, into the case so it's free to suck cool air in, and exhaust it out of the back of the unit. Having it facing downward means there's very little space between the fan and the floor (depends on the height of the case feet)

Air is always exhausted from the back of the PSU, the part where the eletrical cable plugs in and the on/off switch is located.

It sounds like you've cut your case for nothing. Oh well... at least it's on the bottom, where you won't see it.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 05-08-2009, 08:11 PM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by pchaplo View Post
      Im going to ask my questions here which are many, bc frankly the heart of my first build is my Gigabyte mobo. I just added a signature with details. I just installed my processor - i cant believe it was that easy IM EXCITED! Next the Xygmatek heatsink - I got the crossbow bracket. Which way do I orient the CPU cooler on my GIGA board with the E8400. Its seems to make sense to have the maximum surface area facing the front of the case - but Im reading that the cores' orientation must be considered. I plan to mount the Zygmatek on my GIGA mobo so that if the case is standing for use, the cooling pipes will be at the top and bottom of the install, not to the side. Does that make sense?

-----case top-----

-----
      1 1
      1 1
      1 1
      1 1
      ------
      cooler over E8400

case bottom

Congratz pchaplo... that is the the worst signature of all time!

jk

But seriously, you have to appreciate the purpose of adding your specifications to your signature. Its so that ppl can quickly reference it and effortlessly obtain very specific parameters and as a result help you and not just ignore your requests because its to much of a hassle. (Cut all comments too... once again JK pchaplo.) And remember, most people with answers to your questions will not bother to help you when you fall way too far below a sort of minimal professionalism.

So for example, by just alone not including which Operating System you're using, you're making it more difficult for others to help you.

And seeing just how analytical you are forces me to insist that you align the specifications in ur sig, in addition to cutting the crapola out of it too... AGAIN... JK pchaplo

I apologize Pchaplo, but you have brought the hidden Military Sargent out of me.

But seriously, try this as a template for you sig:

<<< System Summary >>>
      > Power Supply: ________________________
      > Mainboard : ________________________
      > Chipset : ________________________
      > Processor : ________________________
      > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): ________________________
      > Physical Memory : ________________________(Put a Link to your RAM's specifications here next to it.)
      > Video Card : ________________________
      > DVD-Rom Drive : ________________________
      > Monitor Type : ________________________
      > Operating System : ________________________

Peace Pchaplo!
      <<< LGA2011-v3 System Summary >>>
      > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
      > Chipset : Intel X99
      > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
      (NE Link)
      > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
      > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
      > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
      > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
      > Power Supply:
      >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
      Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
      >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
      > Chipset : Intel X58
      > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
      (NE Link MPP Link)
      > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
      (NE Link MPP Link)
      > HSF:
      Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
      > Physical Memory :
      >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
      >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
      > Video Card :
      >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
      NE Link)
      >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
      NE Link)
      >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
      > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
      > Monitor :
      ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
      NE Link)
      > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
      > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
      NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
      > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
      NE Link)
      > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
      > Chipset : Intel P35
      > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
      > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
      Link)
      > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
      >
      Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Comment

I stated XP Pro SP3:

Im intalling XP Pro SP3 due to some old software for my photo work.
        Good info on the PSU airflow. I was wrong - Im here to learn. I have higher feet on my case - then my PSU will have cooler intake air from outside the case. I still like that.

Ive condensed my sig.
        Last edited by pchaplo; 05-09-2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Before the quotes I just have to say, I think your Heatsink should be pointed so that the air blows out the rear exhaust fan. If you have room you want a 120MM fan on both sides one pushing air and one pulling out the back side

Originally posted by frank351 View Post
          Hey LSd, is it a problem if you load optimized defaults after you have fiddled with the settings and updated to current bios?

I put my computer together, updated the bios first up then fiddled. I then loaded optimised settings when I realised I was having trouble.
          Well yes, and no. Yes if you forgot to go back and set your SATA/Disk settings (Especially if you are using RAID).

Other than that no, just load optimized and then go back and start your tweaking and testing until you get things stable again

dont laugh - I dont know how to do that? I will do a search, but if you tell me or give a link, I will appreciate it. Thanks!

The optimized defaults are BIOS settings? I load those somehow, perhaps from a menu item that says "load optimized settings" ? Then I press F10 to save those. Sorry Im in over my head but loving it. I told the guy at Micro Center the component that I bought after reading the forums: GA-EP45-UD3P, E8400 ($139!!!!), Corsair 750, Mushkin RAM, 640 GB WD Caviar blacks - he said IM Impressed - you picked good stuff for you first build!!! lol So I have hope - and I AM a fast learner!
          Here, in this guide I have outlined the steps needed to load optimized defaults safely >>

Is this the correct orientation of the 1283 cooler with E8400 on a GIGA GA-EP45-UD3R?

this is NOT my build - i found this on Photobucket.

Terrible I think. Of course it may not be so bad if you do have a top fan to suck out the heat that way. But I suggest it the other way so that heat is pulled out the rear by the exhaust fan. How the heatpipes sit across the cores likely does not make a huge difference at all

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Before the quotes I just have to say, I think your Heatsink should be pointed so that the air blows out the rear exhaust fan. If you have room you want a 120MM fan on both sides one pushing air and one pulling out the back side

Well yes, and no. Yes if you forgot to go back and set your SATA/Disk settings (Especially if you are using RAID).

Other than that no, just load optimized and then go back and start your tweaking and testing until you get things stable again

Here, in this guide I have outlined the steps needed to load optimized defaults safely >>

Terrible I think. Of course it may not be so bad if you do have a top fan to suck out the heat that way. But I suggest it the other way so that heat is pulled out the rear by the exhaust fan. How the heatpipes sit across the cores likely does not make a huge difference at all
            Two 120's could be installed in the top.

But I'd face it towards the rear anyway because hot air rises.
            > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
            (NE Link)
            > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
            Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
            (NE Link MPP Link)
            (NE Link MPP Link)
            > HSF:
            > Physical Memory :
            >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
            >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
            > Video Card :
            NE Link)
            NE Link)
            > Monitor :
            NE Link)
            NE Link)

NE Link)
            Link)
            >

Comment

Terrible or not in terms of what people might think (about the orientation of the cooler), my system runs very cool, so... And I can't hear any appreciable noise coming from the PSU fan..

Xbitlabs did a study on orientation and found the up orientation actually was better for some reason... (with the psu on top!)
              Gigabyte EP45-U3DP, rev 1.1, F8 BIOS
              Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz (no OC), E0 Stepping
              Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE 120mm with ACK-I7753 Retention Bracket
              G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B DDR2 800 2x2GB
              EVGA GTX 260 192 Processing Cores (no OC)
              Seagate 640GB SATA 3.0Gbs
              LG 22X DVD
              Lian-Li PC-K7B
              Corsair CMPSU-650X 650W
              Dell 2408WFP, A02 Revision
              Vista Ultimate 32bit, SP2

Comment

Originally posted by TranceFat View Post
                Terrible or not in terms of what people might think (about the orientation of the cooler), my system runs very cool, so... And I can't hear any appreciable noise coming from the PSU fan..

Xbitlabs did a study on orientation and found the up orientation actually was better for some reason... (with the psu on top!)
                I luv Xbitlabs TranceFat!

Link?

Note: Is their site is down now?

When I go there I get:

Fatal error:
                MySQL: Can't create a new thread (errno 67); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug
                (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
                Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                (NE Link MPP Link)
                > HSF:
                > Physical Memory :
                > Video Card :
                NE Link)
                NE Link)
                > Monitor :
                NE Link)
                NE Link)

NE Link)
                Link)
                >

Comment

Originally posted by TranceFat View Post

Ya, that very well could be due to the PSU Sucking in the heat and pushing it out the back. If you do not have any fans (Or PSU) up top I would not point it towards the top at all.

Personally I wouldn't anyway, but that's just me what do I know

Comment

Yes, the Antec 900 has 200mm fan at the top of the case. I once carved up a Dell case. When I saw the Antec 900, I realized it was sort of my vision for the ultimate case - big top fan, two big front fans blowing across the HDD's.

I am leaving my Corsair 750 flipped, sucking in fresh air - it has to be cooler. Serendipity! Bottom fed cool air coming into the PSU rather than pre-heated air from inside the case. Whoot! I am raising the legs to get it higher off the floor to reduce dust intake. A creative mistake! I love it!

Comment

If anything the PSU will find it more difficult to suck air in due to higher impedance, ie it's more difficult to take air in with only a 1-3 inch gap between fan and floor.

Dust can be a problem too, no matter how far you raise the case. Cooling will definately be better with the fan on the inside, as the bottom front intake will blow fresh, cool air straight to it. There's no chance the air will be pre-heated, as any hotter air will rise way before it reaches the back of the case.

Keep it that way if you wish, however if you happen to smell burning dust any time, you'll know where to look first.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                      2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                      3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Tracefat,

Ive decided to orient my cooler the same way. Reason: 200mm fan at the top of the case right over it. Im glad you mentioned that bc I was assuming the other orientation. Also, Ive decided to install a 4th 120mm in the side of the case where it will blow cool air in just below the cooler fan. cool air in>up through cooler> such out the top by 200mm.

so big thanks! you got me to thinkin' ! :)

Comment

Not true - if you raise the case 3" you have actually EXCEEDED the requirements of the air intake. If you calculate it, at 3", you could block off 2 sides of the bottom and still get enough air for the PSU ...and to think that mine will be open on all sides. No leakage around bottom edge of my PSU - high temp gasket material!

Comment

Not true - if you raise the case 3" you have actually EXCEEDED the requirements of the air intake. If you calculate it, at 3", you could block off 2 sides of the bottom and still get enough air for the PSU ...and to think that mine will be open on all sides. No leakage around bottom edge of my PSU - high temp gasket material!
                            Calculate what exactly? As far as I know there are no listed specifications for any PSU as to how much clearance it would need. And having that gasket there will make no difference

There will still be an increase in static air pressure over it being face up inside the case, and you'll be creating more noise due to air rushing around outside, being sucked in.

I'm sure as much as any one else will recommend you install everything the propper way round, you would still do it your own way, so if you're happy with it, that's fine. It just seems like you're doing a lot of unnecessary thinking, about a "problem" that has had an optimum solution since case cooling was first thought of.
                            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Working...
                            X