face wizard corrupted my bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• face wizard corrupted my bios

last night i tried to use gigabyte's face wizard application to change my boot up screen. that software is in my gigabyte cd, so i became conscious on how that works. i first accessed the onboard bios logo and saved it to my pc. then i change it with my black and white logo i made. then i click AUTO and i started to flash the logo. i got series of errors when flahing. the first error says like "error 1 ..." then "error 2 ...". i saw about 20 errors when flashing. and it stopped and vanish a 87%. then i restarted my pc. it's not booting, i can only see my hard disk and power lights. i tried to remove the battery for 5 mins, no changes. then i connected the jumper, nothing changes again. i even tried to remove the battery for 20mins and connected the pins for 20 mins. nothing happened.

is there still a way to revive my motherboard? i'm from the Philippines and my mobo was bought by my uncle in Taiwan about 1.4 yrs ago.

specs:
    pentium dual core 1.8ghz, GA-945pl-s3p rev 6.6 motherboard, 2 160gb wd sata, 2 dvd dl optical drive, 8400gs gigabyte videocard.

Re: face wizard corrupted my bios

Do you have a speaker hooked up to your mobo's speaker pins? If yes, are you getting any beeps from the speaker?
    When you "connected the jumpers", were these the clear CMOS pins? How long did you leave the CMOS jumpers connected?

Before the failure, did you have a floppy drive configured as the first boot device? If yes, you might be able to perform a blind flash using a floppy that contains your standard bios.

Here are some things that might help:

1) With your computer off, turn off the power to the psu by using the psu's on/off switch.
    2) Unplug the external power cord from the psu.
    3) Press and hold the computer case's on/off switch for 10 seconds.
    4) Leave your computer in this state for 15 minutes or longer.
    5) Hook everything back up and turn on your computer.
    You might have to perform these steps several times.

The following procedure might help;

The Minimalist Boot:
    Disconnect everything that isn't required to boot, including:
    Hard Drives, floppy drives, cd/dvd drives
    Mouse
    All USB devices including the mouse and keyboard
    All add-in PCI cards.

You want to boot only with your cpu, PS2 keyboard, video card and only 1 memory module. That's it.

While you're trying these steps, you might get a bios checksum error message. This is a good sign. If you get a corrupted bios error message, the only solution I know of is to perform a blind flash.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

yes i have, it's a small black speaker. when i tried to remove all of my rams. it beeps.

yeah it is the cmos pins, i connected it by using the jumper on IDE hdd. about 20mins or longer.

hard disk is the first boot.

i already tried removing the MB power cord, psu power cord. nothing happened. i tried pressing the power button for a long time for several times. but i'll do them again when i got home.

i'm gonna try the minimalist boot. if nothing appears on screen. i can't make a blind flash?

thanx.

Comment

According to Lsdme's Bios Flashing Guide, you can only perform a blind flash if your floppy is already configured in the bios as the first boot device. If your first boot device is USB-HDD, it might work with a bootable USB drive, but you would probably need to have USB Legacy Storage Detect enabled. Check out his guide for more information.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Do you have a floppy drive ALREADY Connected, and set as first boot device? If so then you can use the method outlined here in post #2 to blind flash your BIOS >>>

If you do not, then you may just have to RMA the board. Let me know if you need info on how to set that up. If you have owned the board more then 3 years you may not be able to RMA though.

Should you ever want to use facewizard again in the future it is fine, just do not use it to actually do the flash. Make your BIOS in facewizard and save it to file, then flash from Qflash

Comment

i tried removing all parts except 1 ram, vcard, cpu. nothing happened.

for what i know, usb legacy i enabled. i'm gonna try booting on usb. if that won't work, maybe i will just play on it an do the pins shorting method.

and i'm gonna buy a new one.

i will never use windows-based flashers. i don't know why gigabyte made those things. they're just MB destroyers.

and i can't RMA it because i bought it on abroad.

thanx.

Comment

It will not boot (Or use for BIOS Recovery) from USB anyway, legacy enabled or not. You have to have floppy already setup for this instance

Pin shorting would only help if you had Dual Physical BIOS chips, but you do not

When did you buy it, and was it bought new? Where you bought it does not matter so much as to if it was new and how long ago. If it was new, and under 3 years then you can RMA it

Comment

If you are familiar with your board and menu screens, you could choose to boot from floppy disk from the boot menu. As long as you know the hotkey to access it, and how many times to press the down arrow to highlight the FDD, it should work.

If you have a USB stick that has been formatted bootable, then it will also work from there.

Here's a nice little utility to make a USB stick bootable. The link also contains a download link for Win98 boot files.

Good luck. Blind flashing isn't fun. I've done it before trying to enable locked pixel pipelines on a X800GT.
                Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

i plan to buy a new on. it's a gigabyte s2 series. the only one i saw here.

my dead MB is 1.5 years old. maybe i will rma it when my uncle go back to taiwan again.

thanx.

Comment

Good luck on a RMA or deciding on a new board. Sorry to hear you had these problems, good thing though is you can RMA for up to 3 years

You can setup a RMA and just ship it to them if you like, if you need help finding the contact numbers to set that up let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      It will not boot (Or use for BIOS Recovery) from USB anyway, legacy enabled or not. You have to have floppy already setup for this instance

Pin shorting would only help if you had Dual Physical BIOS chips, but you do not

When did you buy it, and was it bought new? Where you bought it does not matter so much as to if it was new and how long ago. If it was new, and under 3 years then you can RMA it
                      Hi lsdmesap,

I have used the same tools as darkantrax07 to change the bios logo and know have the same issue as he does. You said in your post that pin shorting only would help if you had a dual physical bios chip. Well a have a gigabyte p35-dq6 MB and it should support the dual bios thing. I already tried to clear the cmos without any luck. I'am sill left with blank screen and start up. Computer starts up and firtsly you see the hdd leds going on after this the machine beeps 1 time and after this nothing happens.
                      Does this mean the MB is fried?

Hope somebody can help me out. Thanks.

Comment

Did you try repeatedly pressing the end key not del when you first here the beep?
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                        Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse
                        Monitor: CMV937A
                        7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                        Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

yes, tried this also, but no luck. Screen is still blank. I also thought that when maybe entering q flash utlility i will get image on screen, but no
                          Any other ideas?

Comment

Check out the article below by Lsdmeasap In it there is an article on "Attempting to Recover From a Bad Flash or Corrupt BootBlock"
                            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                            Logitech G500 USB mouse
                            Monitor: CMV937A
                            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Have already read it. But I wonder if it works because my pc doenst boot up. My first boot device is not the floppy, does this matter?
                              And if so I could also try it with a USB stick, but I wonder if it works, and its hard to know if something is happening when you got no image.
                              Should I try it with USB stick or a floppy? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X