GA-EX58-UD4P Triple Channel Memory Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P Triple Channel Memory Problem

I have sent my board back to NewEgg for an RMA. Hopefully when I get a new one back, I won't have these problems. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

I am also having this problem, I have tried swapping the memory sticks (GSkill 2GB DDR3) around in every combination I can think of but I am still seeing the BIOS report 4GB. As does Windows (64-bit obviously), however Windows does detect that there should be 6GB.
      Every application detects all three sticks and says that the system is correctly running in triple channel mode.

A bit of additional information to throw in here though is that I have run Memtest and checked the memory mapping... it appears that the motherboard is mapping two sticks to the same memory address. Two sticks are being mapped to the range 0x00000000 - 0x7FFFFFFF.

Can anyone think why two sticks would be being given the same address?
      Also I only have a power supply with a 2x10 and a 2x2 connector rather than 2x12 and 2x4. Could this be causing the problem by creating a low voltage somewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Anthony

PS. I'm not sure about the ettquette of this forum, should I post this as a seperate thread or just stay here in this one?

Comment

I should add that I haven't tried even the slightest hint of an overclock!

Comment

Originally posted by ant177 View Post
          I am also having this problem, I have tried swapping the memory sticks (GSkill 2GB DDR3) around in every combination I can think of but I am still seeing the BIOS report 4GB. As does Windows (64-bit obviously), however Windows does detect that there should be 6GB.
          Every application detects all three sticks and says that the system is correctly running in triple channel mode.

A bit of additional information to throw in here though is that I have run Memtest and checked the memory mapping... it appears that the motherboard is mapping two sticks to the same memory address. Two sticks are being mapped to the range 0x00000000 - 0x7FFFFFFF.

Can anyone think why two sticks would be being given the same address?
          Also I only have a power supply with a 2x10 and a 2x2 connector rather than 2x12 and 2x4. Could this be causing the problem by creating a low voltage somewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated!
          Thanks,
          Anthony

PS. I'm not sure about the ettquette of this forum, should I post this as a seperate thread or just stay here in this one?
          I'm sorry to hear you are having the problem as well. I am hoping to get my new board tomorrow, so hopefully, I will have some good news to report in another day or so.

I would probably keep it in this same thread since this is probably the same root problem.

Comment

Great News! I got my replacement motherboard from NewEgg today. All three channels are working properly. The BIOS recognized all 6GB of memory right away. One weird thing, the Windows properties now shows 6gb RAM installed and 5.25GB usable. Anyone ever seen something like that before?

Thanks for everyone's help in diagnosing my earlier problems, I really appreciate it.

David

Comment

@ ant177

Please remove your CPU and look VERY closely to see if you have ANY pins bent in the CPU Socket, if you do that is why your board only picks up 4GB. You will need to purchase a new board.

If you do not have any bent pins, be sure you have manually set your ram voltage and QPI Voltage as well, set that to 1.25-1.35

@ boyettdw

Nice to see your new board is working great for you!!

Comment

This thread has been quiet for a while. I have the same problem as described by others. 6gb installed but only 4gb recognized by bios.
                It has not always been so but I have no idea when the problem started. I don't check ram on any regular basis.
                I have run each module in the first white slot - no problem.
                I have removed the cpu and do not see any bent pins with magnifying glass.
                Of course windows 7 x64 sees all 6gb but shows only 4gb usable.
                I really don't want to go for a new board.
                LSD? anyone?

With additional testing I think I may have found the problem. The middle white and the middle blue slot are apparently dead. I can boot with one module in either the first or third white slot. The system will not boot with one module in the middle white slot. With two modules in white slots one and three I get 4gb. Add the third to the middle blue and still get 4gb. With module three in the third blue bios and system both see 6gb.

Unless there is something that I am not seeing it would appear that the two middle slots are fubar. Is there a fix or is it RMA time?
                Thanks
                Last edited by genec57; 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM. Reason: more testing
                i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
                Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
                3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
                2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
                Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
                G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
                Corsair HX850 PSU
                Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

Hey

I had a problem with the middle slot not functioning - not being able to run triple channel - at least that was what I thought. It turned out that after I had everything checked my hard disk had a bad connector - it was not able to be connected corrctly. When I disabled the hard disk and was checking in BIOS it suddenly was able to run triple channel again. The operating system was not on that hard disk - but I really still have no idea how something like a 2nd hard disk could prevent me from running triple channel. When I connected the hard disk again with another connector cable it was booting fine and running triple channel.

This is just some info i hope others could benefit from, because you never know what could be the problem before you check everything.

Poul
                  Last edited by Grnkjr0; 09-13-2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks Poul,
                    Had me excited for a minute but no joy. I disconnected all but my os drive and the middle two slots were still dead.
                    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
                    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
                    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
                    Corsair HX850 PSU
                    Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

Hey

Check all your cables. It could be anything. My 2nd hard disk worked just fine but the connector head was broken and that was the reason to why I was unable to run triple channel. Look for anything that might short circuit as well.

Poul

Comment

I replaced the os drive cable with all the others disconnected and no change.
                        Did your center slot work but not in triple channel or was it completely dead like mine. The middle blue slot is also dead on my board. If I place the third ram module in the first or last blue it is recognised and I have 6gb, just dual channel.
                        Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
                        3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
                        Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
                        Corsair HX850 PSU
                        Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

i think you might have a faulty motherboard ram slot
                          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was unable to run triple channel with the white middle slot. It was dead - no matter which stick I placed there (even tried some other modules) it would not boot with a stick in the middle slot. I could boot fine with a single stick in the 1st and 3rd but not in the middle. I could also boot and have CPU-Z think I ran triple if I inserted the stick in the middle blue slot but it was not recognized by BIOS as running triple.

I thought it was dead but a broken SATA 5 pin connector head was the reason. After replacing it I had no problems what so ever and BIOS immediately recognized the middle slot having a stick in it and ran it in triple channel mode.

Poul

Comment

genec57, mind posting your full settings, this is often a QPI/Vtt / Vdimm issue, especially if you are using Auto or setting the wrong QPI/Vtt and or uncore multi's

I am not sure if you should be able to post with one stick in the middle slot, X58 is very different in regards to this compared to older DDR2 board slots.

I will test this on my end and let you know if I can boot using the middle slot only

What BIOS are you using? I know If it is an older one you may HAVE to update to run with your memory, what kit is it?

Comment

I have several saved profiles for different overclocks and the problem is the same with each. Here is the setup for the one I am using now.
                                cpu clk = 20x
                                qpi = x36
                                uncore = x16
                                Bclk= 19
                                llc enabled
                                Turbo on
                                eist, c1e disabled
                                ht enabled
                                vcore= 1.3125
                                vtt=1.295
                                vdimm= 1.66
                                mem multi =8
                                mem settings 6,7,6,18,1 (memory is mushkin redline cas6)
                                pcie,qpi pll, ioh core,ich io, ich core are all auto
                                pcie = 100

I am at the latest bios = F10d
                                Also of note - I can use the third ram stick in either the first or third blue slot but not the middle.
                                Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
                                3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
                                Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
                                Corsair HX850 PSU
                                Windows 7 x64 7600

Comment

Working...
                                X