I've just built a new machine with the following specs

Gigabyte GA EP45-DS3R mobo
    Intel Q6660 quad core 2.4ghz
    4gb (2x2gb) Corsair RAM
    Matrox Millenium P690 PCIex16
    1x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HD103UJ HDD
    1x 250gb Maxtor 6L250S0 HDD

Windows XP SP2

Everything works fine, apart from the Gigabit ethernet, which will only connect at 100mb through my Netgear Gigabit switch.

I know the switch works okay, because I have a Gigabit connection between other PCs on the network.

If I unplug the cable and re-plug it in the back of the machine, the connection icon on the taskbar oscillates between 1GB and 100mb and then settles at 100mb, which makes large file transfers very slow.

I've probably missed something obvious, but does anybody have any ideas?

Re: Gigabit LAN only works at 100mb on EP45-DS3R

Type or length of cable involved?

Are you using A cat 6 Ethernet cable? cat 5e might not be enough.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I'm using a short (2m) cable - came with router so cat 5e I think. This same cable worked fine with my previous machine - based round an MSI motherboard with onboard Intel Gigabit.

Could try buying a cat 6 if you thought it would make a difference.

Thanks again

Comment

Did you set the network transfer speed in the OS?
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by tontoe View Post
          Hi

Thanks for your response.

I'm using a short (2m) cable - came with router so cat 5e I think. This same cable worked fine with my previous machine - based round an MSI motherboard with onboard Intel Gigabit.

Could try buying a cat 6 if you thought it would make a difference.

Thanks again
          Definately check the cable, because i've had just plain Cat 5 cables supplied with recent-ish routers.

As far as I know the lan software/driver (seen in device manager) is usually set to Auto Speed, so it will negotiate te "safest" max speed given on your setup circumstances.
          It could be through a specfic setting/s between Motherboard and/or Router that is causing it to negotiate at a slower speed, but my first port of call would be the cable, as it's the easiest to rule out.

Edit:-

Just noted that you have an overclocked PC with a "cheap" PSU.
          You could always save you Bios configuration with the Profile option (F11) on initial bios page and then revert system to default clocks just to check things.
          You can recall the load Profile menu with F12.
          Last edited by VorLonUK; 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi both

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly - where do I set network transfer speed in os (Win XP SP2)? always ahd gigabit connection before with same setup - only change is new machine...

Secondly - my PSU is a Seasonic S12 600w -is this considered a "cheap" PSU? it certainly wasn't cheap when I bought it (approx 90 UKP or about 110 USD)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tontoe View Post
              Hi both

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly - where do I set network transfer speed in os (Win XP SP2)? always ahd gigabit connection before with same setup - only change is new machine...

Secondly - my PSU is a Seasonic S12 600w -is this considered a "cheap" PSU? it certainly wasn't cheap when I bought it (approx 90 UKP or about 110 USD)

Thanks
              Tontoe, I apologise - ignore my edited bit.

I inadvertently had "Kick's" specifications in my mind when I edited my post which was meant for you - I misread that part of the thread thinking that you had an overclock with a cheap PSU. (I was wrong)

Even if your system was heavily overclocked you do have an excellent PSU anyway.

So back to where i was..... I would still check it with a Cat6 cable and if you are in the UK, ebuyer usually has good prices on ethernet cables.
              Last edited by VorLonUK; 03-18-2009, 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks Vorlon

Will invest in a Cat6 cable and report back...

T

Comment

Hey ,
                  whose dissing my pc!
                  Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                  Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                  Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                  8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                  60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                  GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                  Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                    Hey ,
                    whose dissing my pc!
                    I saw the word "Jeantech" - that was enough! ;-)

Comment

Is it possible "pc world" doesnt have cutting edge technology!

< tontoe: Sorry on the speed setting ,go into control panel,system,device manager,network adapter ,click on properties,go advanced,should be a lot of settings there.Go to duplex configure,its probably on auto.Set it to I gig.
                      Might help,might not ,you can allways change it back.
                      Current Systems:

Comment

Hi all

Just to let you know my problem is solved -I checked the setting on network adapter in device manager, and it was already set at 1 gig. So I bought a CAT6 patch cable and (hoorah!) am now connected at 1GB.

One thing I did notice, however (obviosly I wasn't being very observant when building the machine) was that there are two Ethernet ports on the Mobo, and only the bottom one seems to work. Guess the other must need to enabled in the BIOS?

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me.

Comment

Working...
                        X