Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Reboots

Random Reboots
    <hr style="color: rgb(205, 205, 205); background-color: rgb(205, 205, 205);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have a rebooting issue with my NEW build. I get a minidump the machine tells me that windows has recovered from a serious error after rebooting. I have minidump files that I will post if that helps.

My system has never crashed while I was using it. It always seems to happen if I leave it on overnight or during the day and I see the BSOD when I come home. I am running a dual monitor setup. I will change the "restart on Failure" and post the BSOD message the next time it occurs.

System information
    • Windows XP Pro X64
    • 2 x HD 500G|WD WD5001AALS
    • PSU ANTEC|EA500 500W
    • MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775
    • CASE COOLERMAS|CAC-T05-UW BLK
    • 8GB total --> MEM 2Gx2|GKS F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    • VGA XFX PVT98WYDFH 9800GTX+ 512M

Processors Information
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores 4 (max 4)
    Number of threads 4 (max 4)
    Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Codename Yorkfield
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
    CPUID 6.7.A
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping E0
    Technology 45 nm
    Core Speed 1999.8 MHz (6.0 x 333.3 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed 1333.2 MHz
    Stock frequency 2833 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
    L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache 2 x 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 6.0x - 8.5x
    max VID 1.238 V
    Features XD, VT

Memory SPD
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
    Memory type DDR2
    Module format Regular UDIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
    Part number F2-8000CL5-2GBPQ

Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
    EPP yes (1 profiles)
    XMP no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 266 400
    CAS# 4.0 5.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
    RAS# Precharge 4 5
    TRAS 10 15
    TRC 16 24

EPP profile 1 (full)
    Voltage level 2.100 Volts
    Address Command Rate 2T
    Cycle time 2.000 ns (500.0 MHz)
    tCL 5.0 clocks
    tRCD 5 clocks (10.00 ns)
    tRP 5 clocks (10.00 ns)
    tRAS 15 clocks (30.00 ns)
    tRC 45 clocks (90.00 ns)
    tWR 12 clocks (24.00 ns)

I have included the minidump file.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 hardware monitorGeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ hardware monitor

Re: Random Reboots

This may be your RAM, 4x2GB at 1000MHz & CL5 is a tough job of the board. Try running Prime 95 in "blend" mode (hit "just stress testing when starting it for the first time).
    You can also try Windows Memory Diagnosis, boot of the Vista DVD for that (hit F8 while booting and choose the CD drive to boot from).
    Memtest does not always find errors, so using more other tools may find problems. Also, I don't know which memtest version you're running, older versions will only test 3-4GB, leaving the other 4-5Gb untested.
    If you get errors try setting the system memory multiplier to 2.4B in BIOS manually (M.I.T. menu).

Comment

I am not running the memory @ 500 ...My motherboard is currently set to 400Mhz for DRAM . So it is 800Mhz DDR2. I will also try your suggestions.

Thanks,
      Navin

Comment

500MHz means DDR2 1000, so it is running at its rated speed which most of the time is too much when using 4 DIMMs. Do try the RAM at DDR2 1000 with Prime 95 though. If youg et errors we know where the problem is. If you run it DDR2 800 you may still get reboots, even if they become more rare and don't pop up in the next few days
        Many people come here that ahve problems using 4 DIMMs with RAM that's faster than DDR2 800, actually running it at DDR2 800 usually fixes it though. It could be somethign else for you, but since this is a very common issue it's best to be sure that it's not the RAM before trying other things. If it turns out to be the RAM then we know what to do :)

Comment

ok I will try and repost later.
          --Navin

Comment

So I got home this afternoon and a I found my system was not at BSOD. The main difference was that I left the screen saver disabled this morning before I went to work. My monitors went to sleep and the video card was not doing anything.

So having said that. I think it might be related to the video card. I have been running Prime95 all afternoon for about 4 hours now and all 4 cores are cranking and maxing out at 70'C. and my memory usage is about 2.2Gb. So far no errors. So tomorrow I will turn the screensaver back on and open the case and stick a fan in front of it. Who would have thought that the Aquarium screensaver would stress my video card that much. I think that it would not have except that I am driving dual monitors. I will post tomorrow on the latest results. Does anyone know if there is a bug with Nvidia 9800gtx+ related to cooling when the screen savers are on...perhaps some dynamic fan control etc...Just a thought. I know it is a bit far fetched. Perhaps I can Crank my Nvidia fan to max and run the same test when the case is closed. Is there a way to manually do that?

Comment

So I tried to stress my CPU's, memory and Video card using Prime 95 and Video Stability test. The temps of my CPU go up to 70'C and my GPU got to 81'C. I can not imagine that the Aquarium screen saver is more intensive. This leads me to believe that my experiment to turn on the screen saver and open the case and stick a fan on it will still cause a BSOD. If that is the case. Then it could be an issue of this screen saver running in XP Pro x64. I will try other normal windows screen savers to see if the problem persists later. I have been a this computer on an off doing crap (mem tests, video tests, cpu tests) all afternoon approx. 7 hours and no failures. I would certainly think that this constitutes a stable system.....but I could be wrong........

--Navin

Comment

So............It turns out that am an idiot. I had an epiphany this morning when I awoke. "Where the hell is all the air for the GPU being vented?" Ahhhhhhhhhhh....How could I be so stupid. I went back to look at my GPU installation. Low and behold......I forgot to remove the second slot cover from the case to expose the GPU vents. As a result...this was probably making all the components below my GPU run hotter than expected. (the lower half of the mother board, my harddrives, sata connections etc..etc.. Although my stress test on the GPU did not indicate that it went above 81'C...That doesn't mean that other components weren't roasting in my case. Other components on the GPU could have been heating up that don't normally get hot as well. The possibilities could be endless. Memory getting to hot....harddrive, MB, etc,,etc,,etc.....My Case temp did not show anything too hot though. I would have to guess that some components were heating up that don't even have a temperature monitor that would normally be well cooled.

What does this mean? I have to run a new baseline. Hopefully I am right. I will leave to computer on today with the screen saver cranking and see if I get another BSOD. If I am wrong...then back to the drawinng board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                5 hours later......

One can make some educated guesses. I think I have make some reasonable ones. I really do think that problem is from overheating. It may still occur and I will keep m eye on the harddrives.

I did run a bunch of hardrive diagnostics and found zero errors. I could probably still move the haraddrives apart a bit further to increase air flow around them. They are pretty crammed close together.

In the meantime I might clone my main harddrive or do some sort of backup that is easy to restore.

I will post an update in a few days if all is well.

-------------------------------------------------

10 hours later.

I have not seen any errors yet.

Comment

It would be nice if someone with some extra time on their hands could enlighten me on how to actually figure out what component failed due to the possible overheat from the minidump. That might be an impossible task.

I guess I will leave that as an exercise for the readers and I will just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

--navinag

Comment

What voltage are you running your DDR2 at?

You ideally need to set in the MIT section of the bios:-

1) Performance Enhance = Standard
                    2) tRFC (Refresh To Act Delay) = 70+

Reboots can also be associated with the DDR voltage being too low and may be more of a problem if all DDR slots are populated ie 4 x 2GB.

Obviously it's best to run your RAM nearest to it's nominal voltage and only increment the DDR voltage if you need to and Not to exceed manufacturers specifications either.
                    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

1) I am running the DRAM at 2.1V per the Manufacturer. My mother board had auto set it to 1.8 initially. However, I was still seeing the failures with this set to 1.8V and 2.1V before I discovered the GPU cooling issue. Now that I think I have a stable system I can probably optimize the dram settings and perhaps try .......I repeat try and get them to run at 500Mhz as opposed to 400Mhz right now.

2) I will play with tRFC to see what ....if anything happens.

Thanks,
                      Navinag

Comment

1) I am running the DRAM at 2.1V per the Manufacturer. My mother board had auto set it to 1.8 initially. However, I was still seeing the failures with this set to 1.8V and 2.1V before I discovered the GPU cooling issue. Now that I think I have a stable system I can probably optimize the dram settings and perhaps try .......I repeat try and get them to run at 500Mhz as opposed to 400Mhz right now.

2) I will play with tRFC to see what ....if anything happens.

Thanks,
                        Navinag

Comment

I had the same RAM as you previously on my EX38 board, no random reboots, but randomly the pc would load the default bios. On my EP45 it also caused problems simular to this, I think the RAM doesnt work very well with GB boards.

Easiest way to determine what is wrong is to replace component by component. I would start with power supply as random reboots sometimes are power related more than anything else.
                          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
                          CPU: E8400 C0
                          Memory: Team Xtreem Dark PC2 8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (2*2GB)
                          GPU: XFX GTX280
                          Sound: Xonar HDAV Deluxe
                          HDD's: WD VelociRaptor, WD Blue AAKS, WD Blue 2500BB
                          PSU: Corsair HX620
                          Case: Sharkoon Rebel12 Value
                          CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Achilles S1284C
                          Fans: Intake & Extract Top: Sharkoon 140MM 5v mod, Intake Bottom Opposite HDD's: Scythe 120mm Low RPM Drive Bay
                          HDD's In 5.25 bay held in 2x Nexus DoubleTwins
                          Disc Drives: Blu Ray/HDDVD LG GGCH20L, Pioneer DVR-216DBK
                          Monitor: Samsung LE40M86B
                          Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR255
                          Speaker System: Q Accoustics 5.1i System

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
                          James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
                          Goldeneye

Comment

Thanks for the tips...I will try

Comment

One of the main differences is that I am running @400Mhz not 5 and I am running 4X2gb sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X