• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Doesn't boot, LED error C1 & b2

Keep us posted

Newegg is fast so see you soon!

Comment

The symptoms you describe are identical to the symptoms I have seen. I am on my third motherboard and second CPU. I am four weeks into this build.

Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD5
      CPU: i7 920 - OEM heatsink_fanfan
      Memory: Crucial CT3KIT25664BA1067 DDR3 triple channel
      PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750 silencer.

I don't know what I might have done to cause any of this. However, it seems likely that the dead CPU might be my fault -- given that it got a b2 on mobo #1. I have built a lot of PCs and had only one DOA before. In any case, I am certain I did nothing on this last build that could cause these problems. It never touched any metal. Built it on a cardboard box wearing a grounding strap (as usual).

The b2 code happens with or without graphics and keyboard. So those are not factors. Gigabyte support told me

The PSU is known good, but I tried two others on mobos 1 and 2. My first EX58 had these symptoms too (b2). The second one would not give an LED code. Same for the third. So I got a new CPU and I am back to the b2 code on the third mobo.

Comment

So always the same ram then? Maybe it is your ram that is faulty or not working well with this board, since you have never changed that?

I am using Crucial in X58, but not the same kit. Can you borrow some other DDR3 to test with, or pickup a set of el cheapo DDR3 2x1GB?

Comment

Always the same RAM, yes. However, the behavior is the same with no RAM installed. On one of my three calls to them, Gigabyte tech support agreed with me that the RAM is not the cause.

Comment

Ya, you are likely right then with no ram now that you say that as I had a similar issue with my setup when I had a faulty CPU. With or without ram it would only cycle, and put out no error beeps. My board does not have the LED's for error code, so that is why I did not think of that

Since you have already went thru three boards and 2CPU's then I would think it is not the CPU, maybe the board but less likely for sure to be the CPU if you are sure your second was a new one

Do you get the same errors or cycling, or any error beeps without the GFX card? Just checking, I do see you mentioned that though

The only other thing I could think it may be would be the PSU, but that should be a good enough PSU for sure

Have you tried it all out of the box and off the motherboard tray to be sure nothing is grounding out? I would try that next with NOTHING except the CPU, ram, and GFX card and see if you can get into the BIOS

I see no mention of clearing the CMOS, have you done that? If you have using the button, try the method I outline here in Post #2 >>

You may need to take it somewhere to get the BIOS flashed to F3 at least, see this >>>

I am not sure how Gigabyte expects users to be doing that though from home, since you would need to use a i7 920 or 940 at your house to do the flash anyway? It can be done at most PC Repair shops with a Eprom programmer

Comment

LSDMEASAP and others,

I just wanted to update you on my progress. I finally received the new mobo from NewEgg (I'm a new customer, but I'm very pleased with their service and RMA turnaround time). Unfortunately, the new board still didn't POST. But the good news is that the error was different. It appears to be a memory error. I've been using just one channel for most of my tests, so I have three different sticks to use, and I don't believe that all three were faulty. So I ordered some different RAM (OCZ3G1600LV6GK OCZ Gold 6GB Kit), and it just arrived today. Of course I had my system ready to go upon arrival, so I plugged it in and it worked. It POSTed just fine, then I was up and running (with just one channel), but it appears that the problem is definitely the memory.

I've used Crucial before, and never had any problems. I think it's just the interaction with this Gigabyte mobo. If anything new arises, I'll let you know. Thanks again for all your help. (And I plan on holding on to the Crucial memory because I'm sure I'll use it in the future.)

-SmileInTheDark

Comment

Hi!

I have nearly the same problem i tried everything!

Here is a photo of the leds

please help!! thx

Comment

Originally posted by SmileInTheDark View Post
                  LSDMEASAP and others,

I just wanted to update you on my progress. I finally received the new mobo from NewEgg (I'm a new customer, but I'm very pleased with their service and RMA turnaround time). Unfortunately, the new board still didn't POST. But the good news is that the error was different. It appears to be a memory error. I've been using just one channel for most of my tests, so I have three different sticks to use, and I don't believe that all three were faulty. So I ordered some different RAM (OCZ3G1600LV6GK OCZ Gold 6GB Kit), and it just arrived today. Of course I had my system ready to go upon arrival, so I plugged it in and it worked. It POSTed just fine, then I was up and running (with just one channel), but it appears that the problem is definitely the memory.

I've used Crucial before, and never had any problems. I think it's just the interaction with this Gigabyte mobo. If anything new arises, I'll let you know. Thanks again for all your help. (And I plan on holding on to the Crucial memory because I'm sure I'll use it in the future.)

-SmileInTheDark
                  I have a theory I will soon be testing, maybe you can try it as well now that you have a new board. Use one of your other sticks to go into the BIOS and manually set the ram voltage to 1.54-1.58/1.6 and then save and shut down and put in the crucial (if you still have it) and see if it then will work for you.

*EDIT*

Ya, you are correct Newegg Rocks! There RMA and Customer service is superb.

Tip:
                  Always Call in on RMA's as well, you often will get return shipping labels, and possibly other services like cross shipping if needed.

Originally posted by mikeortner View Post
                  Hi!

I have nearly the same problem i tried everything!

Here is a photo of the leds

please help!! thx

That is no help? Can you post your specs and your issues? You do know you cannot start the board without memory installed right? Please insert your memory into the white slots (1/3/5)
                  Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-27-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

And guys one more think,be sure that your memory contact is clean.If you have 3 or 4 of 240-pin dirty,won't POST or instability issue.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                      And guys one more think,be sure that your memory contact is clean.If you have 3 or 4 of 240-pin dirty,won't POST or instability issue.
                      They better be clean you are right!

Dirty New Triple Channel ram and I would be upset for sure!

J/K, Sounded funny for sure though. But I have seen you comment that a few times, and you are for sure correct!

Comment

I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 and my PSU went out with a bang. I would like to know if I fried my MB or anything else. I have a new PSU Gigabyte UD1000GM modular. I have tried to fire the board up with no result, I get 2 little lights by the memory and the blue button is on. please anyone could help? do i need a new MB??

Comment

Working...
                        X