Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 Doesn't boot, LED error C1 & b2

Hello,

I've recently put together a new system using a Gigabyte motherboard, and I'm not having any luck getting it to boot. I've never worked with a Gigabyte mobo before, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if one of my components is malfunctioning.

I started by assembling everything and powering it up without success. I've progressively reduced my hardware to just the mobo, power supply, & cpu/heatsink, and I'm still getting the same problem.

Specs:
    GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 920 (w/ standard heatsink)
    Antec TP2-550EPS12V 550W PSU
    Crucial CT3KIT25664BA1067 3-2GB 240-PIN DIMM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 (PCI express)
    ATI All In Wonder (PCI video card - alternate graphics card)

Currently I have the mobo sitting on a non-conductive surface (wooden table) with only the PSU and CPU connected. Every time I try to boot, I get the same LED codes: first I get "C1" followed by "b2". If I swap the RAM to the incorrect slots, I get "C1" - "bF" - "C1" - "b2"

I've removed everything and checked all of my connections several times. There are no loose components. The RAM is in the correct slots, and is properly installed. I've tried two different graphics cards (I've only have one installed at a time). It seems that no matter what I do, it doesn't POST. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Doesn't boot, LED error C1 & b2

Check the link in my sig, all the things I'd try first are in there.

Comment

You do have the ram in slots 2, 4, and 6 correct. (*Edited out 2,3,5* I musta been sleeping) I see you mentioned the incorrect slots, so I just wanted to make sure you had the correct slots correct.

Have you tried re-seating the CPU? If not, please do so and check to be sure NO pins are bent under the CPU.

Can you find and connect a case speaker as well so you can see if any error beeps are also emitted?

C1 is a memory error, have you tried dual and single channel? Just wondering

Also, have you tried clearing the CMOS and then starting again? Use the button, and if that does not work for you use the method I outline here in post #2 >>>
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-23-2009, 03:12 AM. Reason: Edited to correct Ram slots (2,4,6 Correct slots everyone looking)

Comment

I've got the exact same problem. Same board, same RAM. Tried every RAM configuration, tried each RAM chip individually, too. No change. I thought this was a problem with my graphics card... maybe I should trade in the mobo instead?

I tried clearing CMOS, btw. No difference, still won't post, no signal to the monitor.

Comment

Saxman,

I'm not sure what to do next. I've only had the board for a few days. I would hate to send it back for a replacement, but if I can't figure it out in about another week, I may just do that.

I thought it may be my video card or my PSU, but I've tested both video cards in my other system, and they work fine. My power supply also works fine for my other system. The only components that I can't verify is the CPU and the RAM. I feel pretty confident about the CPU, because when I remove it, I get a code 88, and the board shuts off. I've tried re-seating the CPU. This new i7 chip doesn't have pins, and I'm pretty confident that its installed correctly.

So that leaves only the RAM or the motherboard (at least as far as I can tell). I thought I've exhausted all the RAM combinations, but Lsdmeasap mentions putting the RAM in slots 2, 3 & 5. I've always put them in either all white or all blue slots. I've never tried mixing them. I've tried using only one at a time, and I get the same error. I even get the same error codes when I don't install any RAM.

I'll probably get a chance to try using slots 2, 3 & 5 tomorrow, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Comment

I've got no more ideas, man. I tried 2, 3 and 5 before, because I really did try EVERY RAM config. I tried it again just now, but no dice. I sent a request for help to Gigabyte, but I can't seem to find a customer service number to call anywhere. I just wish someone could say exactly wtf a B2 code means when the board hangs on it!

Comment

I have exactly the same problem. I tried replacing the motherboard and CPU but I still got the same issue. I have however read this on the Gigabyte website regarding the motherboard:

"Why EX58-EXTREME, EX58-UD5, EX58-DS4 can't boot with some Core i7-920, Core i7-940 CPU?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
              <o:p> </o:p>
              GIGABYTE X58 series motherboards may have compatibility issues with Intel Core i7 940 and 920 production version CPU, so we strongly recommend you to update the latest BIOS as following for better performance,
              EX58-EXTREME BIOS version F3
              EX58-UD5 BIOS version F3
              EX58-DS4 BIOS version F3
              You can use BIOS build-in Q-Flash utility, or Window based @BIOS utility to update BIOS. After Main BIOS update successfully, system will reboot and during POST, please press Alt + F12 key to update Backup BIOS"

I'm going to try giving Gigabyte a call this week to see how I can go about doing this, I have no way of updating the latest bios as I don't have any other processors that are compatible with this board.

Hope this helps anyway.

Comment

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Doesn't boot, LED error C1 &amp; b2

Sorry, I wrote that wrong!!! Correct slots are 2, 4, and 6, Dont know what I was thinking about???

They will not work in 1, 3, and 5

I will edit the above incase someone reads just that later and gets confused as to why it will not work

@ Smileinthedark.

There is no CPU Pins, yes, but there is socket pins and if ANY of them are bent or out of place you will have to RMA the board or try to bend them back. Did you check the socket pins?

Do you have a case speaker connected? If not, try to find one so you can hear what beep if any you are getting.

What happens with NO ram installed? That should give you a beep, but you would need a case speaker.

@ Saxman

You can Call Tech support, not sure where you live so here is global just choose the area close to you. Not sure how quick they are to answer though? >>>
                GIGABYTE

Comment

There's no tech support number for the mobos... They just have one for notebooks and one for marketing. Tech support, it seems, has recently been moved to an online-only form, and according to their tracking display, they haven't looked at mine yet. I'm hoping I won't need it now, though. I RMA'd my board back to newegg today. I'll let you guys know if the new one works so at least we'll know if it was the board that was DOA or something else.

Comment

Saxman314

Please let me know how the new mobo works out. I just got mine last week, so I still have time to send it back if I need to. I'm curious to see if it's the board itself. I think it might be the RAM. I've read a lot of other posts with people loving the mobo, but so far I haven't heard of anyone using Crucial memory.

Lsdmeasap

Thanks for your help. I don't recall getting any beeps with any of my configurations so far, but I'll have to double check. I didn't have speakers connected for the first two dozen tries.

And you were right about the pins on the motherboard. I didn't notice them at first. There are in perfect condition.

I'll try a few more configurations hopefully this weekend (with speakers), but I'm doing some traveling for work, so I won't have access to the board for a few days.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I'm getting almost identical problems as well. Make sure to get back as soon as you can saxman, because I might be rma'ing mine as well. It'd be nice to know if the motherboard is the root of the problem.

Comment

Hi,

First of all regarding the C1 and B2 errors, I'm sorry but I don't have any ideas :(

I have a question for LSDMEASAP though.
                        You mention that the proper slots to use are 2-4-6, and that 1-3-5 will not work.
                        I have been using my RAM in 1-3-5 (white slots) since day 1, and the manual states for the x58 Extreme (p17):
                        "When enabling 3 channel mode with 3 modules, Be sure to install them in 1,3,5."

Did I misunderstand your post (you were talking about the order of the slots when you look at the mobo from above), or should I be using slots 2,4,6 (blue slots)?

Regards,

Cedric
                        Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
                        Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
                        i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
                        Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Comment

Just a side note. I put one of these boards together with a I7-920 2 weeks ago.. No post. I found out the next day I needed to put the 4 pin plug into the power input in the upper corner left of the cpu socket. I did buy an adapter to make the 4 pin 8 pin, not knowing if the 4 pin would work. I just built another one tonite and tested the 4 pin from the Power supply and it works. The ones having issues make sure you have plugged the aux power for the cpu in. It's refered to as ATX_12V_X2. Hope this helps. I Build my first one complete without testing components. I had it tore back appart thinking I had a short or a bad component..

Comment

Sorry C3D76, I meant Actual Physical Slots 2, 4, and 6. They are actually labeled 1, 3, and 5. The White slots are the correct ones, Sorry to confuse everyone here on that by my comment

And yes, ATX 12 4 or 8 Pin should always be connected, FOR SURE. Preferably 8pin, and not using a adapter if your PSU has a 8Pin of course

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, but I finally sent it back to NewEgg.com for a replacement. I'll make sure to send an update when I get the new board.

Thanks again,

-SmileInTheDark

Comment

Working...
                              X