Raid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid question

I have 4 hardrives I want to hook up to my GA-EX58 Extreme. 1 x 150GB Velocoraptor for main boot, 1 x 300GB Velocoraptor for storage and 2 x 74GB Raptors I want to run in raid for the game drive. Can I run drive 1&2 in APHI and drives 3&4 in raid? Will I need to set this up when installing Vista?
    Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme (bios revision beta F6B) / I7 920 @ 3.8GHz 1.3V (190 x 20)
    Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 3X2GB 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v (running at 1520MHz with 8 multi)
    EVGA GTX 285 x 2 SLI
    Samsung Syncmaster 275T LCD
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W Modular PSU
    ASUS Xonar DX2 w/Onkyo TX-SR706 / Kef 7.1
    Sennheiser HD595
    2 x 300GB Velocoraptors in RAID 0
    Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler
    Coolermaster H.A.F.932 / Vista 64 Ultimate SP1

Re: Raid question

Yes you can do that, but you would need to use both onboard controllers.

You want to put your OS on the RAID with the 2x74 raptors right? And the others on AHCI, if so then this is what you should do.

Plug your two Raptors into the first (SATA 0 +1) Blue ports on the board, this is the Intel Controller. Then plug your other two drives into the White Ports (Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller) You will need to use the Intel RAID install drivers on install, you can install the Gigabyte AHCI Drivers later.

Then you will need to set these settings in the BIOS in the Integrated Peripherals page, then reboot and go into the Intel RAID ROM Manager and create your array. Then come back to the BIOS and go into the Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority and move your array to the top. >>>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (BLUE)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. RAID
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... AHCI

At least I believe you can do this and that would be the correct way. AHCI is really not worth it though unless you need to hotswap so keep that in mind

Comment

I actually don't want to use the Raptors for the boot drive. I did that before and lost all my stuff. I want a single 150GB Velocoraptor for my boot, a second 300GB Velocoraptor for my storage, both to run in AHCI and the 2 Raptors to run in RAID for my game drive.
      Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme (bios revision beta F6B) / I7 920 @ 3.8GHz 1.3V (190 x 20)
      Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 3X2GB 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v (running at 1520MHz with 8 multi)
      EVGA GTX 285 x 2 SLI
      Sennheiser HD595

Comment

Why on separate controllers? ICH10R can handle more than one logical array, and plain disks too. So a plain disk on RAID-mode ICH10R is like a disk on AHCI-mode ICH10R, AFAIK.

Comment

So I can run RAID mode for single drives? I am also planning to take a couple more drives from my old computer and fit them in. So 6 drives total. 4 in AHCI and 2 in RAID for my game drive. I would then need to run 2 controllers rights?
          EVGA GTX 285 x 2 SLI
          Sennheiser HD595

Comment

When installing Vista, will I need to install AHCI drivers first?
            EVGA GTX 285 x 2 SLI
            Sennheiser HD595

Comment

Ahh sorry, Ya I never thought of using the same controller. I must have been asleep! Sorry

Ya I use 3 disks in RAID and another for storage on the same controller, the NON Raid disk just shows up as a NON Member is all.

When installing Vista, if you are setting up RAID you may not HAVE to install your own driver, but I do advise it. You can use a Floppy or USB Stick as Vista will let you load from either source.

AHCI Driver will not need to be loaded at all since you are setting up RAID

Comment

Working...
              X