ga-ep45-ud3p loads vista but not xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-ep45-ud3p loads vista but not xp

I just installed a ga-ep45-ud3p motherboard but cannot get it to load Windows XP Pro. I tried many variations in BIOS but nothing worked, it would start to load then I would get blue screen of death. I then tried Vista with all hardware the same and BIOS set to optimum setting and it loaded fine. The problem is that I prefer to run XP. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Re: ga-ep45-ud3p loads vista but not xp

too many unknowns.need more info.
    If you cant even load xp it isnt activated on this machine.
    Are both Os on the same Hdd.
    Are both 32 bit.
    How much memory is on pc,bios settings etc etc.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Hi, yes, I used the same hard drive, Seagate Barracuda. RAM is 4GB and Vista recognises it. My DVD drive, which i used to load XP and Vista, is IDE. Also did Memtest and found no problems. XP Pro 32 bit and Vista 86, so also 32 bit. Chip is E8500. Vista loaded first time on optimum settings in BIOS. With XP, I tried fail safe BIOS, optimised BIOS , AHCI enabled and disabled and various other settings. I also used Nlite to incorporate Intel ICH10R into the XP install as I read that that might help, but it didn't work. I am still wondering if it has something to do with the way that XP communicates with Sata though. I installed Vista on the Intel Sata but tried both Intel and JMicron for XP. Always with XP I got BSOD, although I could access BIOS, which showed no problems with system health.

Comment

What do you mean by XP failed to load? was it already installed or does it crash during installation? Please be more specific, your descriptions leave a little too much room for interpretation. ;)

Comment

Sorry, I meant that I could not install XP but could install Vista. Setup starts then I get blue screen of death after about 2 minutes in.

Comment

Ok, when you enable AHCI you need to press F6 during installation to install AHCI drivers or it won't work. it sounds like you had it on and that's the problem.
            Make sure that's it's off and try installing XP again (no need for F6 and drivers then).

Be aware though that if you isntalled vista with AHCI it won't boot when AHCI is off.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I tried AHCI as just one of the options to try to install XP. I am not bothered about AHCI in itself at the moment. I tried enabling it like you said but the system then asks for a floppy with the drivers, which I do not have. I then tried again with the fail safe settings in BIOS, Sata Raid/ AHCI disabled, Sata Port0-3 Native Mode disabled etc. Again XP would not load. It gets to setup is starting Windows, then blue screen with Stop: 0x0000007E

Comment

I said to make sure it's off as I thought you had it switched on.

You can use the CD that came with the motherboard to create the floppy, maybe it works if you do use AHCI.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I may do that in the future but as I did not have a floppy disc I managed to install XP by using an install disc with SP2 slipstreamed on to it.

Comment

That was the problem then :) I vaguely remember something about windows xp without any service pack not working properly with SATA, I think you need a normal SATA driver floppy and do the F6 thing as well. That was years ago though, didn't even think about that...

Comment

In fact if I remember rightly, the original XP (vanilla - no service pack) had several major limitations in regard to todays hardware. SP1 introduced a lot of extra hardware support and SP2 & 3 have added to that.
                      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
                      X