Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA74GM-S2H - Temp sensor issue

Hi,

This is my first post and at my wits end with what seems to be a problem with a temp sensor causing thermal shutdown, usually when I am in World of Warcraft.

Specs:

AMD 6000+ X2 Brisbane core
    GA-MA74GM-S2H
    OCZ Gamer Gold eXtreme DDR2 2x1gb
    Geforce 9800GTX2 512mb
    Apevia Silver Hi-Performance Case
    Windows Vista (Up to date_
    Latest available BIOS flashed from Gigabyte
    G15 Keyboard
    Mhal 1kw PSU with 120mm underfan, 80mm fore and aft blowthru fans

The issue:

OK, I am a World of Warcraft nut and of late, this new board has been randomly shutting itself down and noticing a large spike on a mystery sensor via the Logitech Keyboard Screen that precedes it, when it hits 80 degrees, the box just drops and I have to restart yet upon restart this temp is down to 20 degrees.

Speedfan identifies this sensor as #3 Temp sensor attached to IT8718F, checking it now shows it is near to 78 degrees... I have Firefox running and thats it.

Using the rule of thumb literally as it turns out, I have used my cases thermal probe on every area to see where its getting hot, Northbridge and Southbridge are warmish to touch but not overly so, the CPU is cooled by a Artic Cooler Pro 64 and the core at idle drops to about 4 degrees (1Ghz tickover) peaking about 20 degrees (Full load 3.1Ghz), RAM sticks are cool to touch and have mem tested them to hell, the Apeiva Case with its side and top blowholes coupled with the Artic and the PSU draw fans means the hot components are surrounded by 2 120mm fans (rear exhaust and PSU under fan) and 4 80mm and directly above the ram is the top fan which exhausts any heat from there too.

Everything is cold save for the Grafx card which peaks at 47 degrees... I have been repairing and building computers since 1978 and scratching my head on this, I have seen a few questions on the motherboards bigger brother the 780g on exactly the same issue but no resolution I can find :(

Is there any resolution out there that people in this forum might know about...? Is there a way I can get this errant sensor to stop reporting the temp causing the thermal cutout to activate...?

I appreciate the time anyone might give to helping this old fool sort this problem out hehe

Thx

Re: GA-MA74GM-S2H - Temp sensor issue

I'm a bit confused from your posts as to what's actually invoking the PC to shutdown.

Have you monitored the CPU temperature with HWmonitor CPUID, or actually entered the bios, Immediately upon (temp) reboot to check the PC health Screen of the bios (where you'd get an idea as to how high the CPU has got)?

I don't use Speedfan, as it reports too many Phantom values. Obviously you need to establish if this is a temperature issue or if Speedfan is totally misleading you and that some other aspect of your setup is the culprit.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X