EX58 UD5 + Vista64 Ultimate SP1 Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58 UD5 + Vista64 Ultimate SP1 Woes

Has anybody successfully installed this version of Vista (64bit ultimate sp1) onto their UD5 boards? With what hardware?

I have been trying for the last few days and cannot seem to get a working stable system. BSODs. Driver install failures. Cats and dogs living together.

The first problem is that when I try to install Vista64, it is really slow. The install takes anywhere from 1-2 hours. Is this normal? Do you guys force the Intel INF update to run as part of the install process?

Even after I install the latest drivers from the website/install disc the system is unstable. Closing applications in Vista crash the application.

Once, at band camp... I mean, one clean install of Vista the audio drivers installed ok. A second clean install the audio drivers failed to install and continue to fail to install no matter what I try.

The big problem is when I try in to install my EVGA GTX 285 video, the install hangs and then I get BSODs from that point onward. No matter what Nvidia drivers I use. In this case, the dxgkrn.sys is dying. The folks on the nvnews site have not been able to help. But I am reluctant to blame it on the Nvidia driver since the system appears to be unstable.

My system:
    Mobo: EX58-UD5
    CPU: i7 2.66GHz
    Mem: G Skill 2Gx3 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    PSU: Corsair 850TX
    HD: WD Black Caviar 750GB
    DVD: Samsung SH-S223Q LS

For reference, I dual booted to WinXP and it runs fine with my hardware.

I also ran memtest86 for over an hour and Vistas memory test with no problem.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Also, where do you get the latest BIOS updates? I only see F4 on the gigabyte sites.

TIA,
    Invalidopcode

Re: EX58 UD5 + Vista64 Ultimate SP1 Woes

have you set your memory speed/timing/voltage manually?

try hci memtest for a few hours: HCI Memtest
    it's much harder on mem than memtest86 or the vista memtest
    i load up 8 copies with 700mb in each one except the last one which i leave on "All unused RAM" and let them run anywhere up to 12hrs

i'm running vista ultimate x64 sp1 on my system now with no probs.
    install takes about 20mins or so
    i don't use any extra drivers when installing and just have my harddrive in ide mode

the latest bios's can be found in the thread stickied at the top of this forum:
    Last edited by GHz; 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM.
    i7 950, Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R (2.0), 3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800, HD 6970

Comment

Alternatively, Try Vista's memory Diagnostics.

When you boot into it after invoking it from Windows, the Default is 2 passes of the Standard test. Find the test in Windows administrative Tools.

If you change that to 1 pass of the Extended test that is pretty thorough. Also it will take around 3-4 hours to complete.

Keep the Cache at Default. Use F1 to access the tests options.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ok, I think I figured out what was wrong.

It appears I was using a checked/debug version of Vista 64 Ultimate SP1 instead of a plain old retail version. Once I switched to the retail version I was able to load the Nvidia drivers and have not a BSOD yet...

For those trying this at home:

1. Instal Vista onto freshly formatted partition
        2. Install the Intel INF Update
        3. Reboot
        4. Install the RealTek network drivers
        5. Reboot
        6. Install the video card drivers - 181.22 in my case
        7. Reboot
        8. So far so good.....

Comment

Working...
        X