i7 920 UD5 Overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 920 UD5 Overclock

I have been trying to get a good overclock using the 920, UD5 MOBO, I am using BIOS F5d (latest), 12GB of G-Skill 7-7-7-7-18-2 1333mhz

Currently I have it running at 3.5ghz about 78C at 100% (Ortho95) as reported with CoreTemp, no issues.

BLCK 175
    CPU 1.35
    QPI/VTT 1.34
    DRAM 1.66
    Load Line Calibration Disabled

Advanced CPU - Starting with CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and all setttings below that are disabled

QUESTIONS:

1. This seems very stable but if I go to 180 the system wont post, no amount of CPU/QPI seems to effect the outcome (memory system multiplier is being used to keep DRAM speed at or below 1333 rating.

2. After failing when I back off the BCLK to 175 system still wont POST I can actually go back to 133 same thing, no POST unless I use F7 and even then I have to work my way back up (Just cant enter 175) does this seem normal? Is anyone else having this issue? This problem alone is making it difficult to back off and restart, wonder if it's the new BIOS?

Any help appreciated

Re: i7 920 UD5 Overclock

Why no Load Line Calibration ? I would have it enable.
    What is your Uncore multipel? I think you have RAM-multipel at x6 ?
    If so, try Uncore multipel x13 (or 12 but not under 12).
    Do you have HT enable? Try dissable that.
    I have C1E dissable. I think you would have it dissable then you overclock.

Do you have the stock CPU-cooler? Be careful with the core temps :)

Comment

Load Line : Just wasnt on yet, enabled seems to make no difference

Memory Multiplier 6 (=1080Mhz)
      Uncore Auto 2800Mhz
      C1E Disabled

I will try turning the Uncore down, what is the logic behind this 2 x Memory Speed? I will try 13x with Load Line Enabled

Comment

Oh yeah, using a Monsoon III for cooling, works pretty good, better than the V8, havent tried the TRUE yet.

This chip seems to run a little hotter than others I have done though

Comment

I have been reading many posts that a 6x2 GB config is alot harder to get a stable high clock, if you not already did you could try it with 3x2gb modules first and see if that works better.

Comment

Need 12GB for the application so I am stuck with that, any reasoning behind the difference in results or just ancedotal?

Comment

Originally posted by ToddCS4 View Post
              Need 12GB for the application so I am stuck with that, any reasoning behind the difference in results or just ancedotal?
              Yes, there is pretty logical reasoning...

You will have to provide a lot more northbridge voltage for the system to be stable. This is due to occupying all the ram slots and therefore the ram requiring more voltages from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooti3 View Post
                Yes, there is pretty logical reasoning...

You will have to provide a lot more northbridge voltage for the system to be stable. This is due to occupying all the ram slots and therefore the ram requiring more voltages from the board.
                Why would you need to increase voltage to the northbridge (IOH) a lot more when the memory controller is located on-die of the CPU now?

I'd say if anything you'd just need to increase vcore and QPI/Vtt voltage due to the fact the memory controller is going to be under more stress running all 6 DIMM slots populated at high clocks.

Comment

I guess if that were true then (as BurningGrave101 said) then I would need to raise the QPI/VTT, I am think I am going back to the baseline and try this again with defaults

Comment

Working...
                  X