Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"POLL" How many people run a quad at higher than 1.4 volts VTT..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "POLL" How many people run a quad at higher than 1.4 volts VTT..

I and I'm sure many others have read Anandtechs article on frying their quad QX9650 from the use of excessive CPU VTT voltage. what they call "EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE"

Below is a direct excerpt from their discussion on the subject.

"For those that are requesting proof that excessive VTT was the cause of the failure, just know that our conclusions are based more on empirical evidence than anything else"

Now for a "real world" poll of some more proof cause to be honest this to me sounds LAME to say the least. I myself have achieved great OC's by using up to 1.6v VTT and show no problems. I'm curious to everyone elses overclocking opinion and hopefully honest stories detailing issues on this overclocking setting.

I myself believe if the CPU is cooled properly degradation is relatively impossible to measure without the exact setup and components along with time of testing.

Intel does have documents they provide on the topic, and they conclude 1.45V VTT is the HIGHEST anyone should push, however I find it a little misleading in the fact many OC's have went above Intel's guidlines for years to achieve great overclocks AND LONGEVITY.

I know if I were selling CPU's I myself would try to keep you or anyone from pushing my processor to the limit so I don't LOSE MONEY..I mean look if you take a $180 CPU and push it to a $500 cpu's speed aren't we PIRATING the performance of the better CPU?? Think about the theory of getting something for nothing, or saving $320.

I might be looking at this the wrong way, but I feel mislead to some degree. Anandtech had a cpu die, alright I'm sure we all expirenced this before, but to attribute a cause before knowing for sure all the variables involved prior to posting that report on a forum creates confusion and in my case integrity issues.

Did we see posted temps for the testing periods? Did we have the same results in the same system setup over the exact same testing period? Did we see how the cpu was handled or was it dropped, possible static electricity contamination?? The questions are never ending, but I will say the pic they provided of the CPU is SCRATCHED on the top and unless I'm wrong shows signs of lapping or misuse. I myself never have seen scratching like that from a heatsink before.

We really don't know nor do we know the persons background testing the unit. Heck to be really honest we don't even know if the voltage they claimed they used actually was what they used..I never saw screen shots of anything. I'm really curious as to what others believe an what they use. I will let you know I find the story very transparent..

Thank you to all and I hope to hear allot of opinions cause we already know Anandtech's.
    sigpic

Intel Q9550 (C1 Stepping) @ 4GHZ 500FSB

Thermalright Ultra 120mm & IC 7 Carat with 120mm Logisys Green LED fan.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Rev 1.0)

8 Gigs OCZ Platinum PC-8500 (5-5-5-18)

2 Western Digital 250 gigs 16mb Cache SATA II's Raid-0 Array

Vista Ultimate 64 bit Operating System

PC Power & Cooling Silent 610 watt SLI certified
    80 PLUS

Cooler Master CM 690 (Nvidia Edition)

Case Cooling: 3 120mm Logisys Green LED fans, 2 120mm Panaflow top mounted extractors and 1 Cooler Master Silent front mounted Green LED120mm fan

EVGA GTX 260 (Stock Speed)

Re: "POLL" How many people run a quad at higher than 1.4 volts VTT..

The trouble with the Net, is that it is also a great source of misinformation.

I've never seen Intel Condone overclocking with their CPU's, so for starters those that do are always taking a risk.

Those that then push their CPU's voltage/s (Vcc & Vtt) above the "Absolute Maximum Ratings" are asking for problems.

Intel Quote (from PDF doc above Page19):-
    At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality
    nor long-term reliability can be expected.

Most electronic manufacturers of semiconductors publish "Absolute maximum ratings" in their datasheets/specifications and they are normally always taken as "Read" by engineers.

If people want to push the Voltage of their CPU's outside the maximum ratings then that's up to them, but as far as "Is it OK", of course it isn't. Because Overclocking has become a bit of a hobby, by mainly novices (certainly in the electronic field), then there is always going to be misinformation and confusion about the subject.

Absolute maximum - is just that, Absolute Maximum!
    You can't redefine what "Absolute" & "Maximum" actually means.

Edit:-
    The only other angle to this, is Volt Drop and Voltage Reading Accuracy. Short of measuring the Land Pins at their termination with a calibrated DVM it's unlikely you'll know 100% for sure what you are actually running the CPU at. However the boards measuring is fairly accurate, so when you do push voltages up in say 100mv increments above Absolute maximum, you are likely to be in dangerous territory.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
    X