Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R + M-Audio Audiophile

<o:p></o:p>
    I just recently built a new machine with a EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9300, 4gp ram, and i am running <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Vista</st1:place> 64. I am running the small 2.80 Overclock settings provided by EasyTune. <o:p></o:p>
    I have an M-Audio Audiophile (PCI) from my old P4 machine that I wanted to use in this machine, although it doesn't seem to agree with me.<o:p></o:p>
    Long story short, i had one hell of a time getting the drivers to work for this soundcard. That was until i realized this thing was getting placed at IRQ 18-20 (depending on which PCI slot i use).<o:p></o:p>
    I've disabled practically everything, even stuff i use, and manually set the PCI IRQ in the advanced BIOS (ctrl+F1 at BIOS main screen). I tried all the manual IRQ spaces without much luck. My BIOS version is F5 (does that sound right?), I also have installed the most recent mainboard and chip set drivers offered on the Gigabyte website.<o:p></o:p>

So I power-cycled the thing to get it to boot up again; <st1:place>Vista</st1:place> asked if i wanted to run safe-mode. Thinking intuitively I proceeded to run vista in safe mode. At that point, just for ****s and giggles, I checked msinfo32. What would you know, my M-Audio Audiophile was now set to IRQ 9! <o:p></o:p>
    But once I turn that SMBus controller back on and load up vista normally the M-Audio card goes back to being at IRQ 18 or whatever. <o:p></o:p>
    Any ideas? I think I tried practically all of IRQ slots, and for some reason that other device follows me wherever I manually set the PCI IRQ. I use my soundcard primarily for its analogue to digital converters and internal midi processing.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Re: EP45-UD3R + M-Audio Audiophile

Personally i don't know how old that card is, but before you go spending a lot of time with Vista and the bios, have you seen any posts/articles or even support where this card is happy working with Vista and in particular Vista 64?

I take it too that you did install the important Intel Chipset "driver" (inf)?

Current Version 9.0.0.1008
    Download Search Results

Edit:-
    M-Audio have some information on their website about Vista 64:-
    M-AUDIO - Knowledge Base
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this model sound card has been out for atleast 3 years.

Yes, i have read a few accounts of this card working fine on 64 bit Vista. And It does seem like M-Audio has already ironed out most the problems with their vista 32bit drivers.

Although The 64bit drivers are BETA, and there are just as many reports of it not working. Some of the guys on the M-Audio forums claiming no sound find a fix in the 'set default' feature found in Vista's sound menu.

My music programs freeze up when i try to use the device. If i try to play sound off the web (specifically myspace) i get a SYSTEM_SERVICE_ EXCEPTION bluescreen. The integrated sound works fine with no issues with any programs (too bad the integrated stuff doesn't have as nice of audio-converters).

M-Audio's 'Knowledge base' is actually where i got the idea of even looking at the IRQ's. Thats when i realized the Interrupt request on mine was way out in space.

I installed the Chip Drivers that were on the Gigabyte webpage. I'm going to go ahead and reinstall from the link you recommended. EDIT: Yep actually 9.0.0.1008 is what i already have installed.

It looks like the latest BIOS for this mobo if actually F6. Does that sound correct? I am running F5.

Thanks for the reply!
      Last edited by Creager; 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Although The 64bit drivers are BETA, and there are just as many reports of it not working. Some of the guys on the M-Audio forums claiming no sound find a fix in the 'set default' feature found in Vista's sound menu.
        It's a bit concerning when the drivers are still Beta and others have had problems. It makes you wonder if it's just one of those situations that because of it's age and it being used with Vista 64, that in some cases it'll work and others it won't - sounds like it could be on the threshold of doing either.

If you want to experiment (and i'm not sure how many hard drives you have). But if they are set to Native Mode in the bios, which is the preffered way for windows OS's 2000/XP/Vista, you could try setting them to Legacy Mode, which I think is the default for the bios.

In legacy mode the Hard drive/s should be allocated their own IRQ, whereas in native mode the OS will assign IRQ's as it sees fit.
        I don't recommend you experiment in this area if you have set up RAID on your system, but otherwise it shouldn't be a problem if you want to experiment down the IRQ route.

You could always call or email M-Audio and see if you can get some specifics on the state of play with drivers and/or with newer boards and bioses. You might glean some info from technical support that could save some hassle.

Also if you haven't tried it and if you have room, although much works of the PCi-e bus these days, you could try your card in an alternative PCI slot.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
          It's a bit concerning when the drivers are still Beta and others have had problems. It makes you wonder if it's just one of those situations that because of it's age and it being used with Vista 64, that in some cases it'll work and others it won't - sounds like it could be on the threshold of doing either.
          Good point. I bought this card new about 6 months ago. I dont know if M-Audio made any changes in production with these things. Vista says the device 'is working.' It shows up in the device manager without an exclaimation mark or anything; which is odd and leads me to believe it could be an issue with the IRQ. Windows puts it into a virtual IRQ, and it doesnt work anymore (?)

It seems like i should be able to find a Virtual interrupt that is almost not virtual. Does that make any sense? Between the three PCI slots on this board, windows seems to limit them to IRQ20 (PCI1) IRQ19 (PCI2) and IRQ18 (PCI3). Maybe one of those virtual interrupts could actually be shared with one of the lower #'s that isnt being used?

Yeah, im not set up for RAID. I remember seeing Native or Legacy modes in the BIOS. I gave that a shot, it seemed to give IRQ 14 and 15 to Serial ATA channels 0 and 1. Im only using 0, and even though i disable 1 in the device manager its still in the IRQ list.

Peering down the IRQ chart again, im growing bit concerned for the rest of my hardware. my video card says its "IRQ 4294967294!"
          Last edited by Creager; 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Well, i guess i out-did myself. The problem is fixed. I have no idea what exactly fixed it.

It seems to work with Native on. I did test for a while with Legacey enabled, although with Legacey Vista seemed to think i had a second disk on SATA channel 1, when im really only one disk on channel 0. There were a few things dealing with SATA and IDE that i played with, i cant remember it all at the time.

I set my PCI/PNP IRQ interrupt config to auto, but i designated the used PCI slot to 15. I did end up disabling a ton of devices, including the integrated audio "Azalia" or something like that.

thanks for the help VorLonUK!

Comment

Originally posted by Creager View Post
              I did end up disabling a ton of devices, including the integrated audio "Azalia" or something like that.

thanks for the help VorLonUK!

Ahh, that would be it!! Sorry I did not get a reply to you in time to save you all that hassle, but this has to be disabled when you use a add-in sound card. So this was likely the only setting you needed to disable/st/change

Glad to see you now have a working card though!!!

Comment

Working...
              X