GA-EP45-UD3P difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P difficulty

so i was playing around and started getting an obscene amount of bluescreens varying all over the place. the settings aren't anything other than ones that have 'worked' for me previously.

I figured id run memtest on each stick individually, but what i found especially interesting was the machine posted immediately on a cold startup. I checked both sticks and sure enough it posts without difficulty in the first slot.

im tempted to try channel b in the 2,4 slots and see if theres a difference, but at this point im going to let memtest run and verify if the ram is still good.

Comment

I was having similar issues that were driving me crazy with the same hardware. It had trouble cold booting but resets were never a problem. I noticed the problems got worse after I added an additional case fan powered through one of the MB headers. I simply added a 1 second delay for the hard drives to spin up and I haven't had any problems since. My guess is that the power supply could handle the sustained power needs of the system but it freaked out when it had to spin up all of the fans, drives, and post the system all at the same time.

Comment

EmoryDelt - there's a bios setting for that? can you point me in the right direction? im will to try just about anything at this point.

as an update, both sticks, individually, made 11+ passes in memtest with no errors. both also cold booted without any issue.

Comment

set the "HDD delay" its in bios on the 3rd or so section I would try altering the MCH reference and also possibly lowering the dram termination or mch/dram reference. Basically set it manually to 1/2 of the Dram voltage. So in your case with 2.1v dram, set the stuff to 1.05v 1st, which is what auto sets it to. Then try setting it 1-2 notches lower and try memtest.

Also try mch ref of .74 with 1.22v mch, also can try lower on the mch ref, like .70. The way you set this is with VT at stock 1.2v, then change the reference, then go back and raise the vtt if needed
          New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

systems posts fine with both sticks in the first two slots, so at least i know now it will run all 4gigs in single channel.

added a hdd delay of 1 and got called out for work for a couple hours. went back to the 1 and 3 slots and after a couple power cycles i shut it down.

i then set it up in the 2 and 4 slots and it posted immediately. i added another second to hdd delay just in case. in the back of my mind im thinking it posted due to the powercycling it did when trying to run on the 1 and 3 slots, but im crossing fingers it will post right away tomorrow and my problem is just the 3rd slot.

im curious, are the voltage changes to MCH, ICH, vtt necessary for only dual channel configurations or both? currently the only voltage change ive made is to DRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by heavyengineering View Post
              im curious, are the voltage changes to MCH, ICH, vtt necessary for only dual channel configurations or both? currently the only voltage change ive made is to DRAM.
              It should not be necessary to run dual channel, but for your specific setup some tweaking may be required.

Also 1 other thing, the PL(performance level, aka static tRead) this maybe some issue also???

Do you have the profile 2 or the profile whatever in the MIT page set on auto where the board reads the timings from the memory??

What I always do is start with 1 stick in the 1st slot, then try 2 sticks if that worked. If not, then I switch the sticks, so slot 1 goes to 3 and slot 3 goes to 1. It can make a difference.
              Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-31-2009, 05:35 AM.
              New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

currently using a PL of 9

XMP is disabled

swapping the sticks is the next thing to try if i get the same issues running dual channel on the 2 and 4 slots as the 1 and 3. its the only thing i havent done yet.

Comment

it posted on a cold boot. im still in disbelief.

should i be concerned about not setting any of the voltages or should i just leave well enough alone?

memset and cpu-z confirm timings although memory speed fluctuates a little in memset from 530.8 to 534.3?

Comment

Sounds like you have a bad board if everything works in the other slots. I guess you can either just be happy that it works and never use the other slots or RMA the board.

Comment

im satisfied with it the way it is. i cant see pushing more ram, id be more likely to upgrade to ddr3 and an i7

Comment

Working...
                      X