Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WD SATA drive 'hangs'

<o:p> </o:p>
    I just assembled a new system, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, E5200 Dual Core, G.Skill 2x1G 1066 DDR2 RAM, Sapphire HD3850 PCI-E graphics card and SATAII OCZ 30G SSD drive.<o:p></o:p>
    I planned to use the WD drive as a secondary drive, with the SSD being the main WinXP o/s drive. <o:p></o:p>
    Here is where things go south-<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for the help.<o:p></o:p>

Re: New WD SATA drive 'hangs'

Download and install SeaTools and see if you can get the drive to pass any of the tests. If it can't, I'd say the drive is dead.

Comment

That will only work on Seagate Drives I think.

You would need to run some WD tools, but yeah sounds like a DOA drive to me for sure since it acts the same in your old system (That would rule out any settings in your current system being a issue). Here is the WD Diagnostics tools download page just incase you want to try it out before you RMA >>>
      WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD Caviar Black

Comment

SeaTools works on both my Seagate and WD drives. :) I prefer it over WD Diagnostics because it expressly states it has zero risk of affecting data on the drives. Whereas WD Diagnostics you can erase data from your HDD if you are not careful!

Comment

Just to test my new motherboard's SATA ports, I connected my laptop SATA drive out of its external enclose, and it worked perfectly fine. Transfer rates were quite fast for a 5400rpm drive actually; so I now know that it's definitely not a motherboard problem.

As for the WD harddrive, I sent it back to Newegg yesterday for a refund. I'm going to go out and buy a retail version locally- at least then if it's problematic I can just drive back to the store to exchange it. I've had good luck with OEM drives from Newegg before- apparently I got a lemon this time. I've heard- whether true or not- that retail versions are more stable because they're better protected in the packaging (albeit they're also more expensive).

Thanks to everyone for your help and feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by corb01772 View Post
            SeaTools works on both my Seagate and WD drives. :) I prefer it over WD Diagnostics because it expressly states it has zero risk of affecting data on the drives. Whereas WD Diagnostics you can erase data from your HDD if you are not careful!
            Yep Seatools works on most current makes of Hard Drive, as do Western Digital Diagnostics and Hitachi Drive Fitness.

The only thing Seatools doesn't allow you to do (as per Hitachi DFT too & Non hitachi drives) is invoke some of the advanced options on non Seagate drives.
            Also the Drive Icons "light up" GOLD on Seatools when a Seagate drive is connected... Hmmm perhaps some subliminal messaging there

I've heard- whether true or not- that retail versions are more stable because they're better protected in the packaging (albeit they're also more expensive).
            Probably true, as they stay in the same immediate packaging from factory to end user - Oem drives don't.
            Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

DOA happens with any product, sadly sounds like this may have just been your round at that table.

I would for sure have just got a Replacement OEM from the egg as opposed to buying retail for $40 or so more at the store.

Seagate has never gave me a DOA drive, WD has a few times. But ya, any product/brand is going to have it happen. Just the luck of the draw I guess

Comment

Working...
              X