A Novice need help for overclocking X48-DS5 with E8400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Novice need help for overclocking X48-DS5 with E8400

how bout OCCT and orthos?do they show CPU temp or core temp?but why OCCT and orthos show different temp with real temp.how bout my BIOS settings?I still don't know if my BIOS setting set correctly.
    Last edited by anbu84; 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

mmmm....my sensor in everest doesn't show anything.just plain white.is there anything wrong?

Comment

mmm...i tried 2.1v for my RAM and +0.2V on MCH,but when I run prime95,my windows crash...do you know what's the problem?and then I want to ask,when I see my RAM,there is sticker said that my RAM timing is [email protected]?is that mean I have to put 2.2v on my RAM?
        Edit:it seems the MCH that make my windows crash coz when I change back to +1.0V,my windows didn't crash.What should I do in order to fix it?
        Last edited by anbu84; 01-07-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Ok,so I tried 2.05V for my RAM and everything seems stable.However I still can't do anything with the MCH.I tried +0.2V for my MCH,it always crash my windows.Is there anyone know what is the problem?

Comment

I need someone to help me......please

Comment

Orthos and OCCT show CPU Temp, not core temps that is why you see a difference between them. And of course Versions of each program matter, you want the latest Of each. Everest For sure as it will show you all temps and voltages in the sensor section.

I need to see your FULL Settings to best advise you >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
              CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
              Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
              Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
              Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
              Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
              Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
              Static tRead Value_______________
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
              CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
              GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] 
              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] 
              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] 
              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
              Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
              Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Here my setting:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Fast]
                CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9x]
                Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
                CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [445]
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00D]
                DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
                Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
                Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3[Auto]
                Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3[Auto]
                Write to Precharge Delay_________6[Auto]
                Refresh to ACT Delay_____________54[Auto]
                Read to Precharge Delay__________3[Auto]
                Static tRead Value_______________7[Auto]
                Static tRead Phase Adjust________0[Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.25V]
                PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB</pre>

As for everest,it seems when I finished the installation and ran everest,the POST came out and said that I need certificate signature for all my driver/hardware(I couldn't remember which one)in order to see the sensor information.That is why it's only blank section for me when I clicked sensor section.
                Last edited by anbu84; 01-11-2009, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Are you using the latest Everest? I know some x64 needs signed drivers, but I have that disabled on my PC so I was not aware everest needed this info. So do you maybe have a old version. Try a newer version for sure, I will test if it is needed or not but I think Everest would have signed drivers in newer editions for sure

Here is the latest Beta >>>

I just tested and you are correct, it does not have a proper driver, you can disable driver signing by using F8 at startup or one of these methods >>>
                  How to disable driver signing in Vista 64 (newest, best and safest way) - Guru3D.com Forums

Note, if you do use the above you will need to either uninstall a vista update and then reinstall it or just download and install some new updates for it to take effect

Your settings all look ok if those settings showing for auto are indeed being used in windows. Sometimes they are not. Maybe static tRead is stopping you from adding MCH Voltage try 8, have you tried with looser ram timings at all?

Did you try MCH +0.15

Comment

Yeah,I used the latest Everest but it required a driver signature thing.I think it only happen to vista 64 bit.I guess it's better if last time I bought 32 bit instead of 64 bit because I got wireless connection problem with 64 bit too.But after you gave me the link to the beta Everest Ultimate Edition,it shows my cpu temp as long as my motherboard temp and core temp although it's only 30-days trial version.So I don't need to do those troublesome things like install vista update or anything.
                    I tried +0.2 for my NB but after I run prime95,it will crash my windows.after that,I changed to +0.1 and I don't get any error from prime95.I never tried to lower my RAM timings coz I heard that 5-5-5-15 is the best timing for PC2-8500 1066Mhz after all on my RAM,there is a sticker that shows [email protected]. That is why I never lower my RAM timings.As for static tRead,I set it on auto because I thought it is the best thing to do since I changed my timings to 5-5-5-15,they set it automatically according to my RAM timings.
                    As for the Everest.I tried run system stability on Everest,the sensor showed that my motherboard temp is at 30(min) and 32(max),cpu temp is at 20(min) and 37(max),core#1 is at 32(min) and 50(max),and core#2 is at 39(min) and 50(max).and Those results came from 30 min run on Everest and I'm still running it,so probably it will change again.
                    Last edited by anbu84; 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Nice to see it works for you then, I was testing in Vmware so that may be why it would not work for me. I disable driver signing so I dont have any issues with driver in x64. A newer beta will be out before 30 days, so you can always just keep using the newest beta if you like, you just will have some things not showing up. Or buy it, it is a great program for sure. I own it and have for many years

Ya, if you are using 900/950-1000/1066+ Ram speeds you will likely have to use 555-15/18

If you are running 850-900Mhz though you can likely use 444-12 or 544-12 without issues

Static tread is the single most important setting, and has the greatest impact on ram performance. Auto for sure will set it looser then need be, or too tight. You should set that yourself, depending on the strap and ram speed you are running, an voltages. 6-9 should be best, with 6-7 being the best and least stable depending on the above factors

Sounds like good temps to me!

Comment

Ok..I tried to lower my RAM timing to 4-4-4-12 but It keep crash my windows before the vista's loading,so I tried 5-4-4-12 and then set 8 for static tRead and add +0.15v to MCH.I'm running Everest at 38min right now and everything seems stable.I will keep it run for maybe 2 hrs and see if it is still stable or not.
                        And then I just bought 2 case fans,120mm with 1200rpm and 1900rpm.1200rpm fan,I put near the GPU while 1900rpm,I put at the rear case while postive airflow.My question is,why my system temp or RAM temp or cpu temp doesn't change if compare to the temp without the 2 extra fans?
                        Edit:Run Everest for 3hrs.Motherboard temp is at 29(min) and 30(max),CPU temp is at 22(min) and 39(max),core#1 temp is at 33(min) and 51(max) and core#2 temp is at 39(min) and 51(max)
                        Edit:What is MCH for?why do I need to increase it to +0.15V instead of +0.10?What is the effect?So if I increase the voltage of MCH,do I have to lower the vcore?my vcore is +1.25V right now and that is the lower I can get when my MCH is +0.10V.
                        Last edited by anbu84; 01-13-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Suunds good, you are learning what to adjust as you go! That is great!

System temp is the board and you likely wont see a change, you cant see ram temps. What those fans will do is keep fresh air flowing and cool your mosfets. Always good to have good airflow for sure

MCH is your Northbridge (Memory Controller) with 4GB you need more then normal. but yes lower is better so if you can keep it stable with less then use it!

Comment

Thank you..It's all because your guide and help that allow me to learn about overclock.Otherwise,I will still have 0 experience in overclocking.So thank you for everything.
                            So about MCH,should I use +0.15v or +0.10v for MCH?
                            And then I noticed that on my mobo,there are 2 extra connectors.1 is power fan connector and other is NB fan connector?what are they function?If I connect my fan to either power fan connector or NB fan connector,is it ok?or I have to connect my fan to PSU?
                            What is the maximum temp that we need to avoid for CPU?how bout the CPU core's temp?what is core#2?I thought it's RAM so I guess core#2 temp is RAM temp.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! Glad I could help you learn some, we all have to learn as we go for sure!!

As for MCH, +0.2 or more may be needed with your ram. I only suggested the +0.15 because I seen you was having issues using only +0.1. I do suggest with 2x2GB that you start with maybe +0.2-0.25 and see how it goes. You can lower later and test for stability once you get a stable setting

You can use any 3Pin fan on those connectors and you will be fine. Just don't use it for your CPU fan of course, that should go on the CPU fan plug. I can tell you if you use a 3 wire fan on the Power 3pin connection that you can monitor that fans speed with Everest. The NB Fan header does not have a sense function so you can't monitor speeds on it

You want to keep your Load Temps under 65-70 or so. After 75 for sure you are getting hot. Those are core temps, CPU temp does not matter

Your CPU has two cores in it. So depending on what you are using to look a those temps you may see Core #1 and Core #2, or in other programs you may see them named as Core #0 and Core #1

You will not see Ram temps in any programs

Comment

I just set MCH to +0.2V and did Everest's system stability for 2 hrs and 15min,it seems,it worked without problem.I guess,as you said before,maybe it was because my static tRead set on auto so it kept crash my windows.So do I need to increase the MCH again or I just let it be at +0.2V?why if we use 2x2GB RAM,we have to set +0.2V-+0.25V for MCH?How bout if lower than those voltage?like +0.100V?is it not effective?
                                If C2D have 2 cores,why the core#1 temp is lower than core#2 temp?it's like 37C(might be lower)for core#1 and 39C for core#2 while they are on idle?
                                Edit:it seems +0.2v crashed my system again while I was playing game.So I did Everest's system stability for more than 5hrs and it crashed again.
                                Edit:If I can't use +0.2V,what will happen if I use +0.15v?
                                Edit:Since I can't use +0.2v,I just tried +0.15v again and after a couple of mins ran Everest,it crashed my windows and showed blue screen.and then I tried +0.10V and Everest showed that there is hardware failure.I don't know what I need to do.he problem is probably in MCH or RAM timing or static tRead.
                                Edit:Btw..there is something that I want to ask,normally,when you overclock your system,does it crash your windows when you run prime95 or OCCT or Everest?or they just show you that you have an error in your hardware and that's all?because I was wondering,probably it's because I installed something while my system isn't stable.
                                Last edited by anbu84; 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X