Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtek Audio issue - DS3R

Hey all,

I'm getting some unusual behavour out of my Realtek High definition Audio device, the symptoms are as follows:

Need for speed Pro street : Randomly makes a very disturbing poping sound, could also be described as distortion (but it isen't) first time it happened it scared me to death, its a terrible sound.

Fallout 3 : This concerns me the most, Voices and effects sound like i'm in a Bathroom, like its stuck on some Environmental sound scheme ... also notably the volume of all Voices and effects fluctuate up and down, some really loud some i can barely hear, it's very annoying.

Music : Music plays normally, i haven't experienced any abnormalities with it, which strikes me as odd.

The Motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how i can fix this problem, thanks in advance. :)

Re: Realtek Audio issue - DS3R

Originally posted by Spacejunk View Post
    Hey all,

I'm getting some unusual behavour out of my Realtek High definition Audio device, the symptoms are as follows:

Need for speed Pro street : Randomly makes a very disturbing poping sound, could also be described as distortion (but it isen't) first time it happened it scared me to death, its a terrible sound.

Fallout 3 : This concerns me the most, Voices and effects sound like i'm in a Bathroom, like its stuck on some Environmental sound scheme ... also notably the volume of all Voices and effects fluctuate up and down, some really loud some i can barely hear, it's very annoying.

Music : Music plays normally, i haven't experienced any abnormalities with it, which strikes me as odd.

The Motherboard in question is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how i can fix this problem, thanks in advance. :)
    You could try the latest drivers from the RealTek website, so you can atleast compare things to see if the problem is still there.

Choose:- High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

or slightly older, from Gigabyte (but with some extra features)
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was assuming it was a configuration probelm, becuase the driver i'm using is straight from the Driver disc and this is a relatively new Board.

Also i was leaning towards a codec problem, as i only have problems while playing games. Movies and music seem fine, if it is a compatability issue i would be surprised as almost all games exhibit sound issues.

However i will still try a newer/different driver version and see how that pans out and report my findings back here.

Cheers.

Comment

I have just installed the Vanilla driver, Azalia R2.00 and WDM_R.213 and still the problem persists, in total that is the Vanilla driver and the only other two versions.

The driver i have installed now actually has a lower driver version number than the vanilla, current version :5.10.0.5767

In Add Remove Programs there is a High Definition Audio Driver Package-KB888111. which i believe is a Windows update for Realtek high definition Audio driver, could this be causing the issue ?

Also i should mention that the Realtek HD audio Manager always fails to detect my system as 6 channel audio, i am using a Logitech z5500 digital speaker system.

No matter what i set it too (ie 2 channel, 4 channel, 6 channel) it fails playing sound through all speakers during speaker test in AUDIO I/O ... i have tried setting it in every configuration in Speaker setup in Windows too.

The only other option i see is to un-install the Windows update -High Definition Audio Driver Package-KB888111. but i think this is a critical update, and might cause some stability issues if removed.

Help still needed please.

Comment

The plot thickens ...

I just un-installed my Realtek driver and disabled Azalia Audio in the Bios, and installed my old Sound Blaster live 5.1 sound card, Windows detected it immediately and installed it automatically ... after a reboot there was no sound and the Sound blaster card was not registered in Device Manager.

But now my Desktop freezes soon after windows loads, funny thing is, its not becuase of the card its becuase Azalia Audio is disabled in the Bios. I then enabled it again and no more freezing ?

When i go to install the Proper driver for the Soundblaster it doesen't see the card, possibly becuase Azalia Audio is turned on (but no drivers installed) Problem is i can't disable Azalia Audio in Bios without my computer locking up...

Whats going on here ?

Comment

Remove the PCI card and uninstall it from device manger first if it is showing. Then enable Azalia and start over.

Please go into Device manger in safe mode and uninstall Microsoft UUA Driver and do not allow it to reinstall if asked, then reboot BACK to safe mode and install RealTek drivers again and then boot normally and see if all is well

Comment

Hi Lsd, thankyou for the reply.

I have followed your instructions and the fluctuations of sounds and effects are fixed in Fallout 3 , however there is a different problem ...

Now it seems to have trouble with the Directional sound, and/or the game isen't playing all the sound channels, (ie i turn around and some sounds i cannot hear at all) also relaoding a weapon never makes any sound.

I have set Realtek to use 6 channel and Windows is set to 5.1 and it still fails the sound test (only plays through 2 speakers L+R) but music and games play through all speakers, with the exception of the Directional issue in Fallout 3 and possibly other games i have not yet tested. Have i not configured this properly ?

At any rate, thankyou very much for your help :)

Comment

Update!

My sound is functioning properly now, all i did was set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the Realltek HD Audio Manager and connected through the SPDIF port via Optical cable.

Just thought i would mention this for anyone else that runs into the same problems that i encountered.

NOTE: you can't set it to 5.1 Digital without using optical cable. i have used this speaker system with numerous Motherboards none of which gave me any problems like this one.

Comment

Nice to see you got it working!!!!

Sorry for my late reply, I have been a bit behind here this week.

Thanks for posting back about what fixed it for you as well!

Comment

Working...
                  X