Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-MA78G-DS3H - secondary PCIE_16 for NON-video card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78G-DS3H - secondary PCIE_16 for NON-video card?

Can I use the secondary PCIE_16 for a NON-VIDEO card, for example soundcard? (Assume the other slots have been occupied).

Re: GA-MA78G-DS3H - secondary PCIE_16 for NON-video card?

You should be able to, as that is the idea of PCI-e:-
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only thing i would check for, that is only usually applicable in cases such as crossfire etc is the limitations that slot may have in x, y, z mode etc. These limitations are usually shown on the Gigabyte Product pages. (For example when in crossfire mode only 8x + 8x Pci-e mode available - that's the sort of quirks I'm talking about)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

thanks.

The manual only mentions, "When the PCI Express x4 slot (PCIEX4_1) operate at up to x4 mode, the PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots become unavailable".

Comment

Ya, you can for sure use it like that. What that quote means if you was unsure is that if you do use the PCIE x4 slot that your others mentioned will be unable to be used

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Ya, you can for sure use it like that. What that quote means if you was unsure is that if you do use the PCIE x4 slot that your others mentioned will be unable to be used
          Does it mean if I occupy the PCIE-x4-slot with a x1 card (XFI soundcard maybe) the other PCIE x1 slots will be still available? (since it is JUST a x1 card, it only eats x1 bandwidth logically).

Comment

Originally posted by bobohob View Post
            Does it mean if I occupy the PCIE-x4-slot with a x1 card (XFI soundcard maybe) the other PCIE x1 slots will be still available? (since it is JUST a x1 card, it only eats x1 bandwidth logically).
            That's a good point. That manual quote suggests that if you use up to 4x and I assume 2x or 4x (not 1x) then those other two 1x slots become unavailable for use.
            I can't see the point in having the other 1x slots if using the 4x slot in 1x mode disables their use.

If i had to make a guess, I would assume all will support concurrently x1 cards with the x1 board interface. Obviously with the x1 slots the limit is imposed by the physical size of the card connector. In theory the 4x slot should detect only the presence of the 1x card you wish to use and make available the other two PCI-e 1x slots.
            Personally I'd send an email to GB on their online note system which can be fairly quick.
            GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Please post the news if you get it. I kept on getting message that repeating what the manual says from them. I feel like I got message from answering machine from gigabyte tech support/service center.
              Last edited by bobohob; 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Why would you put a x1 card in a x4 slot if you have spare x1 slots anyway?

Comment

There are possible scenario like these:

- All PCIE are occupied except the secondary PCIE_16.
                  - (Somebody wants to use a x4 RAID card (just for example).)--> yeah, sorry. it's off-base
                  - Somebody's video card is too thick and too hot it need more space for the air circulation so the x1 card must far enough from it.
                  - etc
                  Last edited by bobohob; 01-06-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Well You asked about x1 cards in a x4 slot, so your second one there is off base. But yeah I do know what you mean about the rest and knew that. Just assumed you had a certain scenario already in mind is why you was asking

Comment

yeah, sorry. the second one is off base.

Comment

Is there anyone ever tried using the 2nd PCIE_16 for x1 card? Are the other PCIE slots still available?

Comment

In a way it's annoying that Any Motherboard manufacturer has these "conditions" attached to any of the Pci-e slots. Just goes to show that these boards are "trimmed" to fit a price point and conditions imposed on Pci-e usage is probably easy to implement because on average not everyone uses all the available slots simultaneously.

Comment

i know people have used a pci-e dsp card in the extra x 16 slot with no problems or loss of the other pci-e slots already used, and this is with a dsp card that is known to be finicky (UAD-1-e/UAD-2).
                            GA-Z77-D3H (Rev. 1)
                            Intel i3 3225 3.3 GHz
                            Kingston Hyper X DDR3 XMP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 CL9 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
                            Corsair CX600 Builder Series 600 W/Cooler master Elite 500 W
                            antec 300. 2 front 120 fans plus the top and back stock case fans (tri-cool 140 and 120)
                            Intel Intergrated Graphic 4000/ATI Radeon hd 5450
                            win 7 x64
                            seagate 500 gb/seagate 320 gb/seagate 500gb/seagate 1 tb/one touch 3 500gb

TrenchTown Original

Comment

Originally posted by 7thangel View Post
                              i know people have used a pci-e dsp card in the extra x 16 slot with no problems or loss of the other pci-e slots already used, and this is with a dsp card that is known to be finicky (UAD-1-e/UAD-2).
                              was it GA-MA78G-DS3H?

this mobo clearly notify that if secondary PCIE_16 is used up to x4 then the 3 PCIE x1 slots become unavailable. If one mobo doesn't have this kind of note it might work as you mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                              X