Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really dumb question (XP Pro install w/Gigabyte mobo)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really dumb question (XP Pro install w/Gigabyte mobo)...

So I'll be building my new system and I'm wondering about installing Windows XP Professional.

Previously when I built my last machine - I had to install Raid Drivers prior to installing WinXP - using the included Floppy disk (my old PC has a floppy drive).

For this new machine I'm building - there is no Floppy Drive and there's no floppy disk with RAID drivers with my new Gigabyte motherboard.

So - how will I install RAID drivers during my WinXP install? This WinXP Pro disk is the original with only SP1 on it by the way.

Thanks.

Bill

Re: really dumb question (XP Pro install w/Gigabyte mobo)...

Use a USB memory stick - which is sort of the modern day floppy.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

So even w/o WinXP installed - the USB ports will be readable?

I always thought the USB ports weren't usable until there was an OS installed.

It almost seems too easy.

Comment

I like to slipstream the drivers
        New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Originally posted by BillK View Post
          So even w/o WinXP installed - the USB ports will be readable?

I always thought the USB ports weren't usable until there was an OS installed.

It almost seems too easy.
          Mostly (these days) USB is supported by the System Bios.

One particular item that's the preffered method of Flashing the bios ie Q-Flash on Gigabyte Boards supports through the system the use of USB Flash drives. It means you don't need a floppy drive or even a bootable device.

You can though make a USB Flash Stick Bootable and run a Dos/Linux App from it.
          Even Mandriva (linux) supply their Linux Distro complete on a USB Flash Drive which is Self Bootable.

You may need to select USB legacy support in the bios, but you certainly don't need an OS (windows) to make USB ports available in an "OS free" enviroment.
          GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

So I just need to find the RAID drivers on the Gigabyte website - unzip them and have them on my USB flash drive when I start my WinXP install - and it should automatically find them?

Isn't slipstreaming kind of involved for just one install? I seem to remember reading somewhere that is more geared toward multiple OS installs? I'm not real familiar with it - but it'd be nice to have SP3 done other than a few updates vs. having to do SP2 then SP3 then all the various updates - that's for sure.

Bill

Comment

Hi... You might want to try Nlite to make a slipstream bootable cd with all the drivers and latest SP3 on it. (Just google it or something) I've not found any malware if you tried the filename with the *.exe in google. (edited this just now!)

It would require that you can burn your own cd though. I did this and it worked perfectly, not having to press f6 during the install to load drivers.

Good luck!
              Last edited by olpaddy; 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The Windows XP F6 install should when the bios is in USB legacy mode see the USB stick as a device with the relevant drivers on.

You should be able to find more info on this, on these forums.

As for Slip Streaming an Install disk, it's something I've never done. However many do, so that the latest sevice packs are included when they install proper.
                I believe Nlite is a popular utility for doing this.

Comment

XP will not allow you to access USB Via the F6 method. You will have to buy/borrow a floppy or Slipstream the drivers into your Install ISO with Nlite >>>
                  nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

maxEasyGuide: A) Slipstreaming SATA driver into WinXp boot cd using nLite

How To: Slipstream your XP installation | Maximum PC

Comment

XP will not allow you to access USB Via the F6 method. You will have to buy/borrow a floppy or Slipstream the drivers into your Install ISO with Nlite >>>
                    I did wonder that when I was writing my posts (above). I assumed (wrongly) that the XP installer (F6 method) was a lot more flexible that.

I assumed wrongly
                    Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 setup

Comment

Blah - well I guess I need to learn how to slipstream then - or tear a floppy drive out of one of my other computers I have laying about. I really want a nice clean install of WinXP without a bunch of extra unnecessary junk this time - so perhaps slipstreaming is the best bet.

Thanks for all your replies - I appreciate them.

Bill

Comment

Floppy can be a lifesaver if you ever Corrupt your BootBlock, I wont build a system without one.

Good luck with this, Slipstream is easy as well so that is always a option!

Comment

Working...
                        X