Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI-E sound card for EP45-DS4

Hi

This is a general question, will there be any real benefit in having a PCI-E sound card over a PCI sound card for this board.

I assume the data rate supported for this motherbard is 33MB/s from the southbridge, in which case it will not, is this correct?
    krishan
    krishan

EP45-DS4
    E8500
    4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
    Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
    XFX 898MB 260GTX
    Corsair HX620

Re: PCI-E sound card for EP45-DS4

Originally posted by krishcanag View Post
    Hi

This is a general question, will there be any real benefit in having a PCI-E sound card over a PCI sound card for this board.

I assume the data rate supported for this motherbard is 33MB/s from the southbridge, in which case it will not, is this correct?
    krishan
    I went for the Asus D1, which is the PCI version. Asus launched their Audio cards in the PCI-e format first (as far as I can tell). As the Slot used is PCI-e x1 an additional power input is required (floppy type 4 pin), although that is not required on the PCI version.
    Also I believe the cards had an PCI to PCI-e bridge (Pci-e versions) so I thought that with the power issue added extra "baggage".

So the Asus "scenario" May be the same for other makes and the fact that there are both interface types (essentially in both the versions Asus do) indicates (to me anyway) that there aren't any bandwidth issues, unlike there would be with say Graphics Data.

Also Asus provide the Audio Version of Rightmark, so you can test your cards performance - indepth too.

Edit:-
    As i said above, I doubt that even the whole PCI bandwidth isn't used on an Audio card.

For Reference:-
    1 lane PCI-e rev1.1 = 250MB/s throughput (PCI-e rev 2.0 doubles this and PCI-e 3.0 Quadruples it)
    PCI 32bit = 133MB/s throughput
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-31-2008, 09:03 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
    X