Hard drive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive problem

I'm updating an old system based on a Gigabyte GA-7VKML to use as a HTPC. And it went well until I got to the Hard drive. I changed the "old and noisy" 80gb Deskstar for a 160gb Western Digital but I cant install windows XP MCE on it - it constatly frezes the install. I put the old 80gb back ant it works fine.
    Is it a Bios problem? I use bios F5 with board revision 3.2

Thanks for your time

Re: Hard drive problem

Originally posted by zeca_pt View Post
    I'm updating an old system based on a Gigabyte GA-7VKML to use as a HTPC. And it went well until I got to the Hard drive. I changed the "old and noisy" 80gb Deskstar for a 160gb Western Digital but I cant install windows XP MCE on it - it constatly frezes the install. I put the old 80gb back ant it works fine.
    Is it a Bios problem? I use bios F5 with board revision 3.2

Thanks for your time
    Are you using IDE or SATA drives?

If the board is old as well as the Hitachi 80GB hard drive and the wdc drive is new, you may need to use the Sata1 jumper on the new drive (assuming all is sata that is).
    Then again if all is Ide (and old), you might not have an 80 conductor cable, or you might have problems at the 137GB limit situation.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Comment

I have no idea if that is causing the problem. The last bios update on this board was almost 6 years ago and even at the time this was a poor chipset imo.
        But there is a mention about the cable in the F8 bios decription. You should be using an 80 Conductor cable.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Comment

I would be happy to help. But what is the problem? What is your system config? is it the same type of problem I have?

Comment

Zeca, please do Load Optimized defaults then set only your ram voltage and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS and then make sure your Disk settings are the same, or correct.

Are these both IDE disks? If you new disk is SATA then you may need to use some drivers, and for sure different disk settings in the BIOS. Do you have your manual and have you read thru it?

Comment

No, its a single hard drive system and its IDE. I'll upgrade the bios and I'll get back to you

Comment

Ok, since it is IDE are you sure you have the correct Jumper settings per the drive placement on the cable for both the HDD and the CD?

Comment

Working...
                  X