Strange temperature readings and no S.M.A.R.T. detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange temperature readings and no S.M.A.R.T. detection

Just finished 1st build! System has been up and running stable for 26 hours. I have some questions before I consider this a success. First, system specs:

MB: GA-EP45-UD3R Version 1.1 BIOS F4
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.50Ghz LGA 775 65W CPU with stock Intel heatsink/fan
    Memory: G.Skill DDR2 800 (PC26400) Dual Channel (2 x 1 GB)
    Graphics card: EVGA GeForce 8400 GS, 256 MB DDR2
    HDD: 2 x WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA 3 running in RAID1 array
    DVD/CD drive: Sony DVD RW SATA
    Floppy: Sony 3.5" 1.44MB internal
    Case: Antec NSK 6580 ATX super mid tower with Antec Earthwatts 430W Power Supply
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates downloaded and installed.

Installed all Gigabyte driver updates from website, not CD. These were:

Intel INF installation (Intel chipset driver)
    O.S. : Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows XP 64Bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 32bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 64bit,Windows Vista x86 (32-bit),Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)
    version: 9.1.0.1007

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)
    O.S. : Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows XP 64Bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 32bit,Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 64bit,Windows Vista x86 (32-bit),Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)
    version: R2.00

Realtek 8111/8169 LAN Driver
    O.S. : Windows 98,Windows Me,Windows 2000,Windows XP 32Bit,Windows XP 64Bit
    Version: 5.7061.1016.2008

System is setup to run totally stock, no overclocking of anything.

Here are the concerns I have about temperatures:
    SpeedFan readings:
    GPU = 44C - 46C (Chip = GeForce Vidio Card - PCI BUS)
    Temp1 = 34C (Chip = IT8718F - ISA BUS)
    Temp2 = 24C (Chip = IT8718F - ISA BUS)
    Temp3 = -2C (Chip = IT8718F - ISA BUS)
    Temp = 0(zero)C (Chip = LM75 - INTEL SM BUS)
    Core0 = 36C constant (Chip = INTEL CORE - ISA BUS)
    Core1 = 22C - 26C (Chip = INTEL CORE - ISA BUS)
    Core = 44 -46C (Chip = NVidia Video Card - NVCPL BUS)
    Ambient = 0(zero)C (Chip = NVidia Video Card - NVCPL BUS)
    No detection of hard drive under S.M.A.R.T. tab (I'm using RAID1 array)

CPUID Hardware Monitor
    TMPIN0 = 34C constant
    TMPIN1 = 23 - 27C
    Core0 = 31C constant
    Core1 = 19 - 21C
    GeForce 8400 GS GPU Core = 45C

CoreTemp readings
    TJ Max = 105C
    Core0 = 36C constant
    Core1 = 22 - 25C

Everest readings
    Motherboard = 25C
    Aux = 34C
    GPU = 45C
    No detection of hard drive under S.M.A.R.T. (I'm using RAID1 array)

BIOS PC HEALTH readings
    Current system temperature = 35C
    Current CPU temperature = 30C
    Note: HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability enabled.

Comments:
    1. First of all, you'll notice that all the readings of Core0 are constant, no fluctuations. Could this be caused by insufficient TIM or incorrectly applied TIM? Wouldn't that core read hot then?
    2. It seems the Core1 temps are reading accurately, at least there are fluctuations.
    3. Is the reading for the GPU (45C) normal for this card under almost no load?
    4. Any suggestions about the non-reading of HDD S.M.A.R.T. ?
    I have not applied the load Optimized Default in BIOS at all. Would that help or does that not have any relevance to these issues?

Any and all suggestions on these issues appreciated. Also, although I'm not planning to overclock this system (it's been built for a friend) and the use is strictly light office applications and internet, any suggestions on fine tuning the BIOS would be appreciated.

And finally....for my purposes, which of the applications on the supplied Gigabyte utility CD would be helpful to install?
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Re: Strange temperature readings and no S.M.A.R.T. detection

Don't use Speedfan, use HWmonitor CPUID.

Some older utilities won't read the SMART data on AHCI (primary drive)/Raid setups.

If you use the Intel Matrix Software (windows) it will monitor the drive status for you - via it's control panel.

These days a GPU temp of around 60C is cool and 90C is hot.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Don't use Speedfan, use HWmonitor CPUID.
      Actually, I posted HWmonitor results. My concern is that the Core0 temperature is always constant. In HWmonitor is 31C, others showed it at 36C. It never varies. Core1 values would vary by 2 or 3 degrees. What would cause Core0 readings to remain constant in all the different testing utilities I showed results from?

I'm also leery of the Core1 numbers. They are always in the 22 - 26C range. I know I'm not checking under load but doesn't that seem a little low to be accurate?

I don't know very much about RAID setups. I installed it on this system only because my friend had always had a RAID1 array system for redundancy purposes. I personally use image backup software to an external hard drive (actually two of them! I'm paranoid!). What would I use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software for and which version would I use?

It also sounds like you have no opinion on whether I should install any of the Gigabyte CD utilities. Is that correct?
      Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Comment

Get RealTemp and ideally the latest beta as it has been updated with the newly released Intel data.

What people don't seem to realise is that there is no accurate temperature monitoring for the latest 775 CPU's. Intel never provided a proper method to do this.
        All the utilities do is try and make sense of a countdown to TJmax, where the CPU will start to throttle. All Intel are concerned about (and quite rightly) is safeguarding the chip and not letting us know just how hot its getting.

You might have a Phenonemen know as a "StuckSensor/s". Nothing is physically stuck, but as the nature of the sensors is to protect the chip and not to provide a nice linear output, temps appear not to change on some cores between idle and mid values..

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
        Get the beta from the Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors - XtremeSystems Forums forums.

Explanation:-
        Real Temp - Documentation

Yes, i have lots of opinions on what software to use, but have limited time to answer a multitude of questions, especially when the forum has a search feature and 80% of topics are just reiterated on here.
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-29-2008, 08:15 AM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Thanks very much for taking the time to clarify. I, as do other newbies, do appreciate people like you who take the time to try and lead us out of the wilderness! And you're right, it's time for me to do some more research on my own. To be perfectly honest, this build, while being very satisfying, has been a major information overload. I've spent days trying to research everything relevant to every aspect of building a computer. As you are well aware, the variables and potentials for problems are infinite. I was just stoked (and much relieved!) when I hit that on button the first time and actually heard a post beep and then something appeared on the screen!

I'll check out Get RealTemp and post back results.

Again, thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X